Security on Ships?

cwistyred

I haven't read the entire thread, but just want to say that I'd be happier if there were no firearms on the vessel at all. I wouldn't want anyone on the ship to have the chance to find them and use them. Same for any sort of weapon at all.

The Med and Europe in general is an incredibly safe place to visit with it generally being the case that only those that carry weapons get hurt by weapons.

There are some unfortunate one off events but these are so rare that it is nothing to be worried by. Even the places that are thought of by some people as 'no go zones' are really quite safe. I've lived in places where murders have happened round the corner from my house and these were considered 'nice' areas. But I have never been threatened or felt threatened because I'm not involved with weapons or have a lifestyle that includes people who use weapons.

I haven't read the entire thread, but just want to say that I'd be happier if there were no firearms on the vessel at all. I wouldn't want anyone on the ship to have the chance to find them and use them. Same for any sort of weapon at all.

If there are firearms on a passenger ship then they will be stored very securely, probably requiring the keys held by two senior officers (e.g. Captain & Chief Security Officer) to release them.

As for any kind of weapon being not on a ship - ever been in a commercial kitchen? Many chef's knives! The engineering officers and team have access to many items that can be used as weapons. The list goes on...

VP

If there are firearms on a passenger ship then they will be stored very securely, probably requiring the keys held by two senior officers (e.g. Captain & Chief Security Officer) to release them.

As for any kind of weapon being not on a ship - ever been in a commercial kitchen? Many chef's knives! The engineering officers and team have access to many items that can be used as weapons. The list goes on...

VP

And just like many restaurant kitchens ashore, chefs will bring their own personal set of knives. These, however, are not allowed out of the galley, and each chef has a knife locker there to store his/her knives when not in use. And the engineering spaces are generally not accessible to crew members other than the engineers. But you are correct, there are potential weapons everywhere.

ADA defines service animals as dogs and miniature horses. No other animals are required to be accommodated.

This is true as of March 15, 2011. Before that "other animals specifically trained to assist a person with a disability" were allowed.

The Med and Europe in general is an incredibly safe place to visit with it generally being the case that only those that carry weapons get hurt by weapons.

Ditto.

As a native NYer, alumni of a DC college during the 9-11 era, and believer in avoiding NBC cameras while dressed like an oompa loompa Thanksgiving morning, you can not live in a protected bubble.

Things happen it's all about self awareness, yes I'm jaded. BUT what's the point of not being able to live, maybe I'm more aware. If I think it's going to be awkward I don't go to that area of a city. I truly believe that if you will I bcc overall be ok. Yes s$&t does happen, but what are the chances?

That's it.....after reading this thread I am never leaving my house again. Going to just close all the windows and lock the doors then hide under my bed with only my laptop. The world is just to scary to venture out in. I'm just going to become one of those angry people on message boards that complains about everything. :eek:

Edited by TruckerDave

:D That's so ridiculous!

Won't be long now until I can board with my Service Cat! :D

HAL board has an older thread about a service cat. Search 'ocelot'. The cat had ocelot makings.

chengkp75,

Thanks for mentioning the Ghurkhas since I can never remember the name when the subject of security comes up.:o Maybe if I just think pickles, I'll remember.:D

At a Captain's q & a session on NCL there was a question about security. After the captain gave the answer the elderly woman next to me asked "what did he say about gherkins?" :D

Edited by cassie55

Another Lab? Couple years ago? Has FedEx delivered his brain yet? Ours took a little over two years.

LOL! Reminds me of my friend whose young Lab had played in the sprinklers during the testing of his new lawn sprinkler system. Having enjoyed playing in the sprinklers and home alone in the yard, the Lab dug up the whole sprinkler system trying to get water to play in again while my friend was at work.