Irons

I take travel sizes of Downey Wrinkle Release and hang my clothes in the bathroom so the shower steam relaxes any wrinkles.

Do you think that would work for a stiff men's dress shirt? I plan to bring my shirts carefully folded but I would like to wear same stuff more than once if I'm only dressed up for a few hours at a time. Thanks!

I am sorry to say that if you bring clothes that wrinkle badly in your suitcase you may be disappointed. This issue has forced me to be very selective in my packing. I now only bring wrinkle "resistant" shirts, and have had a much better result/cruise. Princess Ships have irons - I wish RC would copy this.

If you pack your suit in airtight plastic bag and leave some airspace you might have less wrinkles as well - see attached video

Do you think that would work for a stiff men's dress shirt? I plan to bring my shirts carefully folded but I would like to wear same stuff more than once if I'm only dressed up for a few hours at a time. Thanks!

My husband's shirts are dry-cleaned and he packs them carefully. He hangs them when we unpack and any creases are hardly noticeable. He often wears them just for cocktails and dinner then hangs them back up, puts something else on for the evening so he can re-wear them. No problem.

On longer cruises, e.g. 10 - 12 nights, he sends them into the ship's laundry for cleaning at the mid-point of the cruise (note: usually it is a 2 day wait for the shirt to return).

Your plan is great.

I have to mention that as we got off of the Adventure in San Juan today, as the passengers leave the terminal, there is a table with a staff member returning confiscated items from the beginning of the week. There had to be at least 20 irons on that table!!! Crazy!

Edited by BobbyD

Wouldn't like to say for sure but I doubt it as it has a heating element in it.

That is why I put water on and use the hairdryer on it. My DH thinks I am crazy but as the water heats and evaporates it creates the same effects in essence of steaming (only not as hot;)) but the moisture and heat release the crease. It just takes a few minutes!!! Otherwise hang in bathroom and put shower on real hot. Just make sure you don't need to wear for a while after as the garment will have quite a bit of moisture if you use the shower method.

Edited by Spurschick

Just checked

The answer is no

Here is prohibited items

What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

That is why I put water on and use the hairdryer on it. My DH thinks I am crazy but as the water heats and evaporates it creates the same effects in essence of steaming (only not as hot;)) but the moisture and heat release the crease. It just takes a few minutes!!! Otherwise hang in bathroom and put shower on real hot. Just make sure you don't need to wear for a while after as the garment will have quite a bit of moisture if you use the shower method.

Good idea. Thanks!

I also take the Downy Wrinkle Releaser, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Good idea. Thanks!

I also take the Downy Wrinkle Releaser, but sometimes it doesn't work.

No problem. I gave never tried the downy releaser since I do my self;)

Another trick we do is we take a carry on for clothes and pack tight. Check in case is for shoes, toiletries and outerwear. That way, with the clothes folded and unable to move it is rare that we get wrinkles in pants shirts etc. I found the more rounded/ a- line styles and pleated clothes harder to keep wrinkle free so I try rolling them and packing them around the edges.

I think it would depend on how much starch was used. It seems as though it would work better on a very light starch. It does work better on clean clothes than previously worn clothes, but it does help refresh and smooth those as well. It does need to be used on previously pressed or wrinkle free clothes. Wrinkled out of the laundry is a bit beyond its power!

I also pack by laying clothes flat without folding (except for folding pants and skirts in half lengthwise) in the suitcase and then folding arms and pant legs over the top of the stack of clothing. I learned this method years ago at Talbots women's store. It's gotten me through more business and personal trips than I can count. Tissue paper between layers helps as well, but is more work.

Target usually has small travel sizes of wrinkle release for around $2. Do you have time to try it out before your cruise? That way you can see if it is sufficient prior to leaving or if you will need to send your shirts out for pressing. The nice thing is no one else has access to an iron either.