Alaska - What's the best month?

Now that RCI has released their 2016 Alaska schedule, we are starting to plan our trip. We have never been to Alaska and are looking to take in as much as we can. We plan on doing an 11 or 12 day Cruisetour so we can see the interior as well as from the coast. I'm looking for everyone's opinion as to when the best time to go is. I have been hearing pros and cons about every month. I'm looking for YOUR opinion as to what month we should go and why.

From the two times in my experience, I'd recommend early June. That way, chances are the weather will be nice (luck of the draw any month though), but you'll still get to see plenty of snow along the way (I'm sure you get your fill of snow in NY, but I'm thinking in terms of mountain scenery making for better pictures). Any waterfalls, rivers, creeks, etc. will be at their fullest from the early snowmelt. If you really luck out on the timing and temperature, you may beat the worst of the mosquito season too.

Also if you're sailing during the first week in June, you may beat some of the additional crowds that come along with the extra kids & families during summer vacation.

From the two times in my experience, I'd recommend early June. That way, chances are the weather will be nice (luck of the draw any month though), but you'll still get to see plenty of snow along the way (I'm sure you get your fill of snow in NY, but I'm thinking in terms of mountain scenery making for better pictures). Any waterfalls, rivers, creeks, etc. will be at their fullest from the early snowmelt. If you really luck out on the timing and temperature, you may beat the worst of the mosquito season too.

Also if you're sailing during the first week in June, you may beat some of the additional crowds that come along with the extra kids & families during summer vacation.

Thank you. Yes, we get our fair share of snow here but I enjoy it. I would like to see some snow when we're there because, as you said, it makes for better pictures. I never thought about kids and family vacations. That poses another question, do the May and early June cruises not sell out? Is that maybe why they're generally cheaper than the July - August cruises?

We went in early September. The weather was great! Temps were in mid 60's most days. One day was colder and got down to 50. We stopped in Ketchikan and it rained the entire day but was still beautiful to see. The creeks were so full of salmon they were swimming on top of each other! We could still see some snow, but honestly, we weren't looking for it. The glaciers and gorgeous ice floating is really something that can't be described. Enjoy your trip!

We have been to alaska twice in early May and late August . We preferred August the weather was really nice . We saw so many whales from the ship. If you are interested in whale watching we highly recommend Harv and Marv in Juneau it was the highlight of our trip. Enjoy alaska it is so beautiful.:)

May and September = Pretty darn cold

June - Warming up. If you love to fish, the King Salmon are running and can be caught. This is a big deal in Alaska.

July-August - My personal favorites. Weather is as warm as it gets. I have been able to wear shorts on a few days during these months.

July-August - My personal favorites. Weather is as warm as it gets. I have been able to wear shorts on a few days during these months.

also the most expensive weeks to cruise

Can't speak for all of the months, but I can tell you why we choose late May.

The major consideration was price, as you get to the center of the season the price rises dramatically. Second, the closer to June 21st, the more daylight you will have, works for sightseeing in the inside passage. Third, since this wasn't a Caribbean beach vacation, the temperature was not important. Jeans, not shorts, was the dress for excursions. Fourth, snow capped mountains are more beautiful than dirt. Fifth, less crowds, and fewer kids.

I strongly encourage you to visit Denali, our downside was Denali does not fully open until June 1st most years. You get 45 miles as opposed to 90 miles into Denali. We actually had snow for 10 minutes on our car trip to Denali, beautiful. The hotel we stayed at in Denali had just re-opened, some services were limited. Last downside to May, less whale watching.

We are planning another trip to Alaska in 2016, shooting for the first full week in June. (Southbound)

Can't speak for all of the months, but I can tell you why we choose late May.

The major consideration was price, as you get to the center of the season the price rises dramatically. Second, the closer to June 21st, the more daylight you will have, works for sightseeing in the inside passage. Third, since this wasn't a Caribbean beach vacation, the temperature was not important. Jeans, not shorts, was the dress for excursions. Fourth, snow capped mountains are more beautiful than dirt. Fifth, less crowds, and fewer kids.

I strongly encourage you to visit Denali, our downside was Denali does not fully open until June 1st most years. You get 45 miles as opposed to 90 miles into Denali. We actually had snow for 10 minutes on our car trip to Denali, beautiful. The hotel we stayed at in Denali had just re-opened, some services were limited. Last downside to May, less whale watching.

We are planning another trip to Alaska in 2016, shooting for the first full week in June. (Southbound)

Thank You. These are all things that matter to us. Jeans, and even jackets, are fine for us. We have done a fair amount of whale watching on other vacations so that isn't a big concern for us.

I agree with a previous poster that September is the best time to go. My friend who used to live in Juneau also said September is a great month with the least amount of rain.

When I went a few years ago we were one of the last ships of season. They said it was best weather they had all summer. We had less crowds, everything was on sale, cruise price is lower, and Radiance was the only ship at Hubbard Glacier and spent 3 hours there.

I agree with a previous poster that September is the best time to go. My friend who used to live in Juneau also said September is a great month with the least amount of rain.

When I went a few years ago we were one of the last ships of season. They said it was best weather they had all summer. We had less crowds, everything was on sale, cruise price is lower, and Radiance was the only ship at Hubbard Glacier and spent 3 hours there.

I'd consider September but from what I can see, I don't think the itinerary that I'm looking at is available in September. I'd like to sail the Jewel northbound out of Vancouver. I can't find a Jewel northbound in September. Explorer is the other ship that does Alaska and it appears as though they only do round trip from Seattle.

I took my father on a 7 day alaska in september.. ( late september)

I think we got very lucky as most days the weather was amazing. Maybe 50 and sunny. It did snow in juneau, but it was beautiful.... Also , being late in the season I got a very aggressive price. Just my experience.

I took my father on a 7 day alaska in september.. ( late september)

I think we got very lucky as most days the weather was amazing. Maybe 50 and sunny. It did snow in juneau, but it was beautiful.... Also , being late in the season I got a very aggressive price. Just my experience.

It looks to me like RCI ends their Alaska cruises in early September. I would consider another cruise line but I'd prefer to stay with RCI.

It looks to me like RCI ends their Alaska cruises in early September. I would consider another cruise line but I'd prefer to stay with RCI.

We chose Princess because they were permitted for Glacier Bay. At the time, they and Holland were the only mass market lines that had permits. I think Carnival may also be permitted now but Royal and Celebrity are not and was not. We also chose September for access to John Hopkins Inlet. Got a chance to see John Hopkins Glacier up close and seals like we've never seen before.The weather ranged from 55F to 70F and a little rain here and there. We had two excursions cancelled in our group because of fog but I don't remember which stops. The were a zip-line and helicopter ride. The land tour was also phenomenal.

I think you will continue to get varying opinions on the "best" time to go to Alaska and it really depends on your priorities - price, weather, number of daylight hours etc. Shoulder months (May and September) will be least expensive but may have less optimal weather and shorter hours of daylight. Months when there are longer hours of daylight and when average temperatures may be warmer will also come with higher prices and perhaps the dreaded Alaskan mosquito:). In September some of the businesses may be readying to close or may already be closed for the season, but those that are still open may offer some bargain prices.

Alaska is a special place so I would suggest that you choose a time that best fits your schedule and not worry about finding the "best" time - they are all good in their own way. I've been to Alaska three times and would go again in a heartbeat.

If you plan on visiting Ketchikan, I would avoid mid August to September. We were there end July, beginning August. On our city tour,they informed us we came just in time to miss the stench of dying salmon. There were already a few dead in the creek, but it can apparently get pretty bad.

We had perfect weather (I know, it is never guaranteed) and were able to get very close to Sawyer Glacier. We also saw many humpback whales, a black bear, Orca whales, bald eagles, etc.

Enjoy!:)

PS: This is one cruise I recommend splurging on a balcony. That is the main reason we saw so much wild life. It was pretty cold around the glacier, so it was convenient to go in and out of the cabin to warm up.

I have been to Alaska twice , mid May and end of June into July. May cruise too much ice to go up Tracy Arm, June cruise visited all Glaciers great time long days to do stuff and a 4th of July parade in Sitka that was very much a highlight. Go when you can but the later the better even getting to the end of the season better than the beginning.

Since you asked for our opinion - here goes!

Have been to Alaska on cruises twice. First time RT out of Seattle in June and had a mix of weather mostly sunny and cool once up north. It was early June and while lots of people around it was never crowded nor were there lots of kiddos running around. Truly enjoyable trip. While in the CL one evening we were chatting with some more experienced Alaska cruisers and when we told them we would love to do a land sea trip they jumped on the subject.

Their advice was to do the land portion first - lots of early mornings catching buses and trains, very active days and fun nights! Then hop on the southbound leg from Seward and you have the ship to relax. BEST. ADVICE. EVER😄

We did heed their advice and booked for the last southbound leaving the second week in September - first week of September was the land portion. Great weather every single day wearing layers and peeling them off as the days warmed up. Only rain we had was one day outside of Anchorage and the trip to Seward - other than that had coffee in the mornings with our jackets on outside just taking in the beauty and fresh air. Lunch outside in the sun and in awe at all the amazing flowers (lots of daylight = huge beautiful flowers). The trip into Denali was the 90 mile trip and while a bit cooler 'Fall' had started and the colors were incredible through the park. Lots of wildlife out and about and the bus drivers are experts at spotting it and stopping to look.

Once on the ship we relaxed on our balcony and were in awe of the beauty around us and it was progressively getting warmer each day. The last days DH and I both fell asleep in the sun in our shorts and tee's while sitting out there.

We made some lifelong new friends on the trip due to the land portion as we may not have spent that much time together if the sea part had been first. Actually had dinner with them each night of the cruise and have since cruised with all 6 of them again several times.

If we ever see those more experienced Alaska cruisers again we won't even know how to thank them. Planning another trip and will do the same land portion pre-cruise for as many days as we can.

This was longer than I anticipated so sorry for that - but it is our two cents,

Since you asked for our opinion - here goes!

Have been to Alaska on cruises twice. First time RT out of Seattle in June and had a mix of weather mostly sunny and cool once up north. It was early June and while lots of people around it was never crowded nor were there lots of kiddos running around. Truly enjoyable trip. While in the CL one evening we were chatting with some more experienced Alaska cruisers and when we told them we would love to do a land sea trip they jumped on the subject.

Their advice was to do the land portion first - lots of early mornings catching buses and trains, very active days and fun nights! Then hop on the southbound leg from Seward and you have the ship to relax. BEST. ADVICE. EVER

We did heed their advice and booked for the last southbound leaving the second week in September - first week of September was the land portion. Great weather every single day wearing layers and peeling them off as the days warmed up. Only rain we had was one day outside of Anchorage and the trip to Seward - other than that had coffee in the mornings with our jackets on outside just taking in the beauty and fresh air. Lunch outside in the sun and in awe at all the amazing flowers (lots of daylight = huge beautiful flowers). The trip into Denali was the 90 mile trip and while a bit cooler 'Fall' had started and the colors were incredible through the park. Lots of wildlife out and about and the bus drivers are experts at spotting it and stopping to look.

Once on the ship we relaxed on our balcony and were in awe of the beauty around us and it was progressively getting warmer each day. The last days DH and I both fell asleep in the sun in our shorts and tee's while sitting out there.

We made some lifelong new friends on the trip due to the land portion as we may not have spent that much time together if the sea part had been first. Actually had dinner with them each night of the cruise and have since cruised with all 6 of them again several times.

If we ever see those more experienced Alaska cruisers again we won't even know how to thank them. Planning another trip and will do the same land portion pre-cruise for as many days as we can.

This was longer than I anticipated so sorry for that - but it is our two cents,

This is a totally different perspective than what we were planning. We were planning on cruising northbound and doing the land portion post-cruise. The reason being is that I had read that when cruising northbound, from your days on the ship to your days on land, the scenery (supposedly)just gets better and better every day. When you do the land portion first and then cruise southbound, the scenery (supposedly) begins to lose some of it's splendor as the days go by.

Again, this is what I have read in some of my research. I love hearing the pros and cons of doing it both ways. Thank you for your two cents. It has shed a new light on things and given us something to think about.