Sydney - Auckland Past Cruisers

Heartfelttraveler

We have just booked a cruise from Sydney to Auckland. The ship sails up the coast of New Zealand. For anyone who has made this voyage, is land in sight or are you too far out to sea? The reason I ask, is to decide whether to try to get a Portside cabin.

Please - if you do not have anything constructive or nice to post, just close this post. I am new to cruising and have asked a few questions and gotten some pretty snotty replies. (Thank you to those that actually answered my questions and helped me to book our three future cruises.)

Get a port cabin as land will be on your left as you cruise up to Auckland & the opera house should be on your left when you are docked in Sydney as the ship is normally bow facing. We are doing this cruise in November & have a portside cabin.

We're doing this cruise in December (can't wait!) so I'm curious about this answer. We are booked in a starboard cabin though.

We had a wonderful view of the Opera house from our cabin, 9149 on Mercury ( sadly no longer with us) in 2008.

As port cabins are odd numbered, I can only assume that the Captain had driven in and not backed in as often happens. I know I was amazed that we had such a great view, if we had been next to the dock, all we would have seen would have been loading and unloading of stores.

We also had the same in Wellington and Christchurch ( this port is no longer used) When we had scenic cruising around the volcanic White Island, the ship was turned 360 degrees. The same in Milford Sound.

I'm not sure you can find the reason for backing into the berth, maybe something to do with tides, or other ships due out before you???

Edited by upwarduk

I was fortunate enough to take this cruise from Sydney to Auckland on the Solstice in 2013. The ship was "backed in" to dock in Sydney, as I believe it most commonly is, so the starboard cabins had the opera house view. I preferred our port balcony, however, because for the three days sailing along the NZ south coast we were able to see shore much of the time and loved the views of fiord land park. We saw plenty of splendid opera house views while docked from the top decks so we were very happy overall. It is a wonderful voyage, enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also cruised on Celebrity Solstice in November 2013 Sydney to Auckland. Our cabin was on level 7, Portside and were very happy with this side of the vessel.

The cruise terminal at Circular Quay, Sydney has recently been substantially upgraded and I have read that it is possible that the vessel will dock either way (bow in or stern in). So, advice is go with portside as you will see land on that side during the majority of your cruise up the east coast of both the south and north islands of New Zealand.

It is a fabulous cruise and in particular the Fjords are breathtaking.

The info regarding the docking procedure at the newly revamped Circular Quay, Sydney cruise terminal was supplied by an avid cruiser who actually works at the cruise terminal. As they say "straight from the horses mouth" and info you can trust.

When you are cruising up the coast of NZ you will be able to see land but it will be some distance away. However, I would still recommend getting a port cabin (for a Sydney/Auckland cruise) as there will be something to see.

The best part of this cruise, as others have noted, are being in Sydney harbour right next to the opera house, visiting Fjordland (Milford, Doubtful and Dusky sounds) in NZ, and also many of the other harbours are very beautiful - Port Chalmers (Dunedin) is particularly nice.

Have a great cruise!

We also did this cruise in 2013 and had a great view of the opera house from our starboard cabin. Since the cruise overnighted in Sydney it was very nice to wake up to a view of the opera house.

I have to say, we seldom stay in our cabin in scenic areas, because I can't help wondering what view I'm missing on the other side of the ship. In the fjords, the view from the front is pretty spectacular, and that's where we spend most of our time when there is any view to be had. The fjord day is really the only one where I remember a lot of scenery while sailing. I think the ship generally travels too far from the shore to see much, except when arriving or leaving.

You really can't go wrong with either side of the ship. I hope you have a wonderful vacation you will remember for the rest of your life. I know we did.

Since the renovation at the Sydney overseas passenger terminal several ships that used to back in are now going bow in. We did this trip last year and while you can see land from time to time on the port side (as we did in the buffet and up in the solarium and other areas around the ship) one thing you might want to consider is seeing whales. They are much easier to see from your balcony. If they are about they are more often on the open sea side from what people tell us and we found it great fun watching the plumes from our balcony. If they are around and you are in a public area it can be hard to get close to the windows. Just a thought!

Edited by goodycruising

Sailing up the NZ coast you are far enough out to sea to make little difference as to views. Sure on the Port side at times you may see land but nothing identifiable. If you want to wake up to the sunrises in the mornings then a starboard side cabin is best. Going in and out of port either side is fine as most people go up on deck to get a 180 degree view anyway.

The Solstice in Sydney now goes bow forward as do most ships who tie up at Circular Quay.

The Solstice in Sydney now goes bow forward as do most ships who tie up at Circular Quay.

Thanks for this - does this mean that portside or starboard will have the views across to the Opera House? Sorry for the confusion.

Port side should be the best option now for all ships in Sydney. Prior to the OPT upgrade starboard was definitely the best for the Solstice but every time I have seen her recently she has been bow-in. Port cabins now get the best view while docked, but cruising out of Sydney the ship will turn around and the starboard cabins will have the better view during sailaway. There is no real preference for either side in NZ ports

As for cruising NZ I would probably go port as well, although most of the time you will be out of site of land.

Edited by gek

Port side should be the best option now for all ships in Sydney. Prior to the OPT upgrade starboard was definitely the best for the Solstice but every time I have seen her recently she has been bow-in. Port cabins now get the best view while docked, but cruising out of Sydney the ship will turn around and the starboard cabins will have the better view during sailaway. There is no real preference for either side in NZ ports

As for cruising NZ I would probably go port as well, although most of the time you will be out of site of land.

Amazing, thank you!! I am booked on Port and was a bit sad that we wouldn't have much of a view of the Opera House from our balcony on the first day.

Or....if you're very lucky, book an aft cabin and see both sides as well as the lovely wake. We just booked the Solstice for January, largely because we found an aft balcony available.

Yes, excellent view! I originally had one of these booked but reconsidered due to the aft balconies having no coverage and with the Australian sun at that time of the year is just too much for me and my skin!

We have just booked a cruise from Sydney to Auckland. The ship sails up the coast of New Zealand. For anyone who has made this voyage, is land in sight or are you too far out to sea? The reason I ask, is to decide whether to try to get a Portside cabin. Please - if you do not have anything constructive or nice to post, just close this post. I am new to cruising and have asked a few questions and gotten some pretty snotty replies. (Thank you to those that actually answered my questions and helped me to book our three future cruises.)

Heartfelttraveler: Thanks for the replies. We are Starboard' date=' but I feel better about our choice. [/quote']

gek: As for cruising NZ I would probably go port as well' date=' although most of the time you will be out of site of land. [/quote']

Glad that you got a number of good and helpful responses. As noted by gek, along most of the NZ coast, you will be farther out at sea, so that your views will be limited. Or, you will be super busy inside doing dining, getting ready in your room, etc.

As detailed below on my live/blog from last year when we did this sailing on the Solstice from scenic Sydney to Auckland, some of the best "views" are from the Sunset Bar on the back of the ship during sail-aways. For many of the ports, there are great things to see on BOTH sides during such sail-aways. Lots of visuals and ideas are reflected in the many pictures and details that I have posted and are connected below.

Here's another key option to consider:

We did, along with other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio, the two-day, overnight Queenstown excursion. It's a choice, not cheap. There are pro's and con's to consider. Milford Sound is suppose to be the best of the three "fjords" you will visit. BUT, the biggest roll of the dice is the weather. These fjords can be spectacular, but you can have iffy weather. Maybe great and sunny. Maybe rainy with overcast, etc. Possible a little of both as your travels that day cover a varied amount of distance/travel among the three different areas.

On my live/blog I detail much on ALL that we did on this two-day excursion. WOW!! What a great trip. Loved it ALL so much. Not just charming Queenstown, but seeing a wonderful rainforest area, the charm of the interior of NZ's South Island, a cute old gold-rush town, a winery, the bridge where bungee jumping got its start, etc. On the Queenstown side of the mountains, there are less weather challenges, etc. With our tour, we still got a nice sampling of Dunedin, its very special train station, etc.

Either option can work well. Much depends on what you most like, seek and enjoy most.

Worth it? It was for us and the others in our group. Personal choice!! The NZ South Island is amazing and being able to sample it was very important for us to "feed" our personal interests to see and learn more about this unique part of the world.

Don't be shy!! Keep asking good questions and preparing for this exciting adventure.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,470 views for this posting.