Just talked to Norweigan about udp, ubp

vicocala

I've stayed out of the couple of thousand posts running on this topic up till now. If you tally up the number of posters on CC that are raising some much noise about all this, I don't think you could come up with 3 dozen. Of the tens of thousands of cruisers on NCL every week, we make up a small insignificant number. And of that an even smaller number are making noises about this.

My opinion, every server on every NCL ship places their orders on the computer, it knows where they are, what they're doing and how much money they are taking in. The computer can track everything. I, like some of the others here don't much care where the money goes or how it gets there. I want a happy crew! If they're happy, so am I. I didn't care how much of the DSC they got before all this, and don't much care how much they get now. If they are not getting enough to satisfy themselves, they will go to another cruise line.

Why this agitates some if beyond me. If your tight with your money, perhaps the few dollars a day this is costing more than before rules out cruising and some other options might be better. If NCL wants to raise more revenue and it costs me $1-20 more per day, I'm ok with that. If it's too much for some, try something different.

There are some posting here saying they are going to go to another line. Saying it and doing it are two different things. If you can find a better and cheaper deal elsewhere, why not go now, that would send a huge message to NCL if thousands do it. But guess what, no one has left yet.

All this talk and it hasn't changed a thing. NCL know exactly what they are doing. I'm staying with them!

If a computer is keeping track of it and waiter is working both venues in the same shift (complimentary and specialty), that basically a double dip from both the DSC & 18%. That's why some people are complaining about it - the waiters work both venues especially during peak times to serve as many people as possible.

But when you break down the UDP 18%, one is paying just about $3 'tip' per day for any trip's length- If one is crying over that, maybe one should rethink of buying it and/or sailing NCL because that less than the DSC $12 per day. Me personally, I didn't like how NCL announce (didn't bother to actually) the 18% charge to specialty but after thinking about the overall math and my dining preferences - I'll give 1st choice to NCL unless Royal or Carnival has the better itinerary for the timeframe I want. The only things I basically have to paying for is the DSC and the cruise fare, everything else is just a waste because I don't use them everyday due to not being a big drinker / eater; doesn't matter which cruise line it is. :cool:

And you're right if one has the UDP; UBP,prepay the DSC; along with knowing they are getting money worth of eating and drinking - what is one crying over is everything has been prepaid? If one is still cruising with NCL months / years down the road knowing about the 18% and raised DSC but still complaining about them - no offense, that's moronic!! Why would you still cruise with them knowing their policies; they must be doing something extremely right for one to be spending hundreds in extras not covered in the fare?

I was told and encouraged to share with those here about the new prices and tips:

(1) Drinks-anyone sailing now that the beverage prices have went up have an $11.00 limit not $10.00

(2) Tips on drinks went from 16% to 18% that price is included in the UBP.

(3) Prices went up on the UDP by 18% to cover the tips for the specialty Dining Rooms. I was told this is not a double dip, that servers in the specialty dining areas will be a part of this gratuity not the general one for stewards and MDR servers.

I hope this helps clear up many of the questions out there! Bon Voyage!

Thank you.

This is my first comment on this issue. I have read a lot and thought about it.

This is just my opinion and the way I feel about me. Others may feel differently. And that is ok.

I have always considered myself to be a very good tipper. In fact, I am one of those on here accused of tipping the butler and concierge less than what I claim on CC. Ha. I tip well when service warrants and 90% I feel the service I receive on NCL is great. My first butler experience was sub-par. And that situation was extremely unique.

Since I have always tipped in the specialty restaurants over 18% my budget is basically the same. I am not opposed to adding to it if stellar. If service is not up to par I will discuss it with someone in authority on board. I truly believe the onboard department heads on NCL are extremely proactive.

Now about double-dipping. Here is my theory. It might just be a pipedream or my imagination but in my experience the specialty restaurants went empty a lot. Now, with the adoption of the UDP they will be very busy. I don't know how all of you think but I have always found the service in the specialty restaurants to be more attentive and personalized. With more people in specialties I do not imagine NCL moved a ton of waitstaff from the MDR. Maybe some of those who serve breakfast and lunch in the MDR are able to get additional time in the specialties and earn more money. Seems feasible. I do not know about your local restaurants but in mine I do not see staff waiting tables at breakfast, lunch AND dinner. I cannot imagine how hard these folks work. For good service, I will continue to tip well. And if I encounter bad service I will address it on board not just come to CC and complain after the fact.

I will be on the Jewel in 6 days. Hope my opinion stays the same.

Edited by DMH15

What is beyond me is why some people cannot seem to grasp that this really isn't about the extra couple of dollars. It's more about the somewhat underhanded way NCL went about implementing the recent changes. As stated previously, a clear and simple explanation is all that was really needed. Instead, NCL chose to offer nothing more than a cryptic reply here, leaving some customers confused and upset.

And I would disagree with your second point. People are looking elsewhere, and people will compare product offerings, and some may decide that the FDR changes aren't something they care for and switch lines altogether. I pointed out in another thread that Princess, which home ports a ship or two about 20 minutes from me has some VERY compelling options for me.

For you to assert that nothing as changed and no one has booked another line is bizarre. I don't understand how you could know that.

Nothing "underhanded at all". Their cruise line, their rules. Because they didn't come here and consult has nothing to do with it. Many companies have problems with roll out of new systems/ways of doing business. Of course it's about money. That's almost all that's being posted. "Double dipping", extra tips for the staff, NCL keeping the money. That's what almost all of these posts are about. My point about no one leaving is, the ones making the most noise on the 3 or 4 active threads on this topic all have the same ones continuing the debate. If they left NCL, canceled current cruises, you would think they would leave here and not post anymore as it would be moot point for them. They are all still here. There is no "groundswell" of anger/complaints and I would venture the majority of cruisers going on NCL don't even know about this. And again, to quote you, what has changed? Did NCL cancel the 18%, all are of the ones making threats to leave gone? Of course not. There will be another "crisis" in a week or two and everyone can get in another tizzy! At times this is too funny! I like most things about NCL. The minor annoyance or two are no where near enough to change cruise lines. For anyone from NCL reading this, keep up the good work. Many of us are still with you.

Nothing "underhanded at all". Their cruise line, their rules. Because they didn't come here and consult has nothing to do with it. Many companies have problems with roll out of new systems/ways of doing business. Of course it's about money. That's almost all that's being posted. "Double dipping", extra tips for the staff, NCL keeping the money. That's what almost all of these posts are about. My point about no one leaving is, the ones making the most noise on the 3 or 4 active threads on this topic all have the same ones continuing the debate. If they left NCL, canceled current cruises, you would think they would leave here and not post anymore as it would be moot point for them. They are all still here. There is no "groundswell" of anger/complaints and I would venture the majority of cruisers going on NCL don't even know about this. And again, to quote you, what has changed? Did NCL cancel the 18%, all are of the ones making threats to leave gone? Of course not. There will be another "crisis" in a week or two and everyone can get in another tizzy! At times this is too funny! I like most things about NCL. The minor annoyance or two are no where near enough to change cruise lines. For anyone from NCL reading this, keep up the good work. Many of us are still with you.

The even funnier part is - the thing that they are complaining about can easily not be brought since its an paid extra anyway. If one doesn't like the free dinner options, not the cruise line problem because you can either eat there (MDR, buffet, O'Sheenans, room service and whatever other free places) or paid extra. If one doesn't like any of those choices, there plenty of cruise lines with better food options than NCL.

Well, a "tip" is the same as "incentive". Don't get hung up on semantics. On NCL, the DSC IS the "tip" (incentive). So is the 18% auto gratuity. It was always my understanding that the DSC took the place of "tips" and that was why there was no need to "tip" anyone included in this pool. Now apparently, a lot of people felt it was necessary to add extra to the bill or cash tip in addition to the DSC. I never did. And they were clear on who was not included, like butlers, and we were told they needed to be compensated for service at our discretion. Some will argue all day about the difference between "service charge" and "tip", but to me it is pretty clear NCL considers the DSC as taking the place of the need to tip for service. Otherwise, a service charge is just that and has nothing to do with pay.

If you really want to reward a specific person who has just done something extraordinary, then put a cash tip in his pocket, or write up an NCL Hero Card or tell his supervisor.

A tip is NOT the same as an incentive. A tip goes directly to the person providing the service. An incentive is going into NCL's coffers to dole out as they see fit. I want to know if my money is going directly to my server, or to NCL. Should be an easy question to answer.

Very well said. I would bet that the majority that say they are leaving, will be staying with NCL and except the changes in the end.

A tip is NOT the same as an incentive. A tip goes directly to the person providing the service. An incentive is going into NCL's coffers to dole out as they see fit. I want to know if my money is going directly to my server, or to NCL. Should be an easy question to answer.

I agree with you 100 percent. The behavior that a customer wishes to reward with a tip may or may very well NOT be the kind of behavior that a corporation wishes to reward with an incentive.