1st time cruiser and first solo vacation

rainbowtigger811

My first cruise and solo vacation is 6 days away and I think the nervousness is overpowering the excitement. I'm taking the train down to Baltimore to sail the Carnival Pride. I'm now feeling unsure about how I packed, how much cash I should bring, dinning, etc - I've read the other posts but most first time cruisers are at least going with someone... ugh, any advice?

Is there a roll call for your sailing? Post over there to see if there are any other solos going.

Don't worry about what you packed you'll be fine!! As to cash, I figure about $500 tops everything on board is paid with your sail & sign card which is tied to your credit card. You might feel you want to tip your steward a bit more ($20) at the end of the cruise if you got really good service.

I think there are solo gatherings on board in the evenings so it might be good for you to get know some people at those functions, keep an eye out for the listing in the daily schedule. Also, you will be at a large table for your dining time and it will be easy getting to know people that way. I must say that my last cruise on the BREEZE was a lot of fun as the we were all solo ladies and we had a blast at dinner.

Stop stressing, take a deep breath, go and relax and have a wonderful time!!

Hey,

I did post in the roll call but it seems that all the other users are families/couples. I heard about the meet and greets and plan to join as many as I can. Idk, just getting nervous I guess. It's a little daunting to be 31, going on my first solo vacation on a 7 day cruise lol.

I do have open seating for dinner, was wondering how that was going to go.

I'm excited though.

For dinner you will be asked what size table you would like. Get one of the larger to meet people.

Buffet, people often join others at a table. Look for someone interesting and ask to join.

Events on the ship, many are planned for groups, ask to join someone. For example, Trivia is usually for groups of 6. Teams are always looking for people to fill out their group.

You will be fine.

Make a list of things you need to take and check to make certain that you have them. Like -- passport, driver's license for ID, any medications if you take any, sun glasses, sun tan lotion, etc.

And read your daily programs which you will get the night before and plan what activities you want to do the next day.

You won't need a lot of cash on the ship as everything you purchase on the ship will be charged to your shipboard account including your gratuities (unless you have prepaid them).

I do have open seating for dinner, was wondering how that was going to go.

I'm excited though.

Well, I had open seating once on Carnival and they asked if I'd share my table (a two top) and I said of course. I met the most interesting lady, we had a lively conversation and it was a really pleasant evening.

However, I think you'd be better off going for a traditional seating, as this is your first cruise. You can talk to the Maitre 'd in the MDR it will be listed in the schedule on the first day and see if they can accommodate you at either early or late seating.

I agree...traditional dining at a large table should guarantee others to chat with! We love table mates!

Realize that only a SMALL fraction of cruisers even know about this site, so it's not surprising that you haven't encountered other solo's on the roll call. Those who participate in roll calls are an even smaller fraction of the maybe 3% of all cruisers that are on CC!!!

Just be friendly...chat with folks at the pool, in the theater (not during the show!!!!), and anywhere there are others!

Remember, this is a vacation (think tropical drinks and sun drenched beaches) not brain surgery. Seriously. There is absolutely nothing to fear or worry about. I've cruised solo many times and you will be fine. Many people cruise solo and have an absolutely wonderful time. Not only are cruises a great vacations - THEY ARE PERFECT FOR SOLO CRUISERS. Real they are. Don't focus on the going solo part. Focus on what you what to see and do. You will not be the only person cruising solo. This isn't Noah's arc where everyone goes on board two by two. There will be solos, couples, families, groups. If you go with a positive attitude you will have a positive time. Smile a lot, get out of your cabin and participate in group activities. Try to get out of your comfort zone and try something new and have fun. Come back and let us know how it was.

Just think about the positives of going solo........

No waiting for the bathroom or shower

Your bar bill will be lower

Your excursion bill will be lower

You can eat when you want and don't have to wait for anybody to get ready

Get up and go to sleep when you want to

Just focus on the benefits of going solo. :D

Truckerdave - lol, that's what I was thinking when I booked the trip

comboy - I know, just my nerves are kicking in. I plan to just relax and have fun and I'm a pretty much a social butterfly.

So, next question, kind of stupid but as far as luggage, I know the policies are 2 bags no more than 50lbs each with a carry on - I have a small rolling suitcase (I think 24"), and an even smaller one that matches it - should I try to just consolidate or are the 2 good - both are full but weigh less than half of the requirements but I just want to be on the safe side.

So, next question, kind of stupid but as far as luggage, I know the policies are 2 bags no more than 50lbs each with a carry on - I have a small rolling suitcase (I think 24"), and an even smaller one that matches it - should I try to just consolidate or are the 2 good - both are full but weigh less than half of the requirements but I just want to be on the safe side.

Carnival "encourages" their guests to limit themselves to two suitcases under 50 pounds per person, but it's not an absolute requirement. I'm sure there will be people packing more than that on your cruise.

So whatever you want to do is fine. You're the one that has to carry them around, so figure out what's best for you.

I am almost in your same boat. My cruise is still about 5 weeks out. It will be my first solo cruise and first cruise in Europe! I am freaking out about how I will get around in Italy when I don't know any Italian. I've studied the route from my hotel to port over and over.

I'm sure when you get the first one down, the next will be easier.

Edited by ladybird77

You will be surprised at how many Europeans speak English, at least the folks you will encounter in taxis, restaurants, etc. But it is a good idea to practice a few phrases like Buon Giorno, Por Favore, Grazie, and Ciao is universal! So is a smile.

You will (both!) have a wonderful time and you'll come home with great memories and some new best friends.

Ciao!

As a self-proclaimed OverPacker, I will tell you what I have learned in my many cruises (bah which is like none compared to some of these people!), take half as many clothes as you think you will need and twice the cash.

Depending on your ports (no I didn't go look up your cruise) depends on how much money you want to have on you. Never take it all off the ship with you at one port though, because you never know what bad thing could happen (probably won't). Excursions off the ship are cheaper, but I don't think I would do those as a solo. But thats up to you!

When we were cruising like every few months, I had it down to a science of sorts. bring some medications for headache/sun exposure, gi issues, and allergies. and maybe some bandaids if your sandals will bother you.

Personally, I really don't cruise to meet the other people, so if you want to sit by yourself, be honest and say so. I cruise to get away, turn off my mind, and relax. I work with people all day long though, so that's my opinion.

You will have so much fun!

haha well I guess I was assuming I wasn't taking much to begin with... I thought initially about only taking like 200 bucks... My husband luckily knew me better than I knew me and brought more money for fun stuff off the ship :)

I can't really condone robbing a bank... But maybe hitting up a rich uncle??

:)

I was so nervous the night before my first cruise I was almost in tears. I posted on this board and the wonderful people here on CC put me right at ease. Now I'm hooked on cruising. Relax, you'll have a ball! Enjoy your first cruise and prepare to be hooked! :D

I was so nervous the night before my first cruise I was almost in tears. I posted on this board and the wonderful people here on CC put me right at ease. Now I'm hooked on cruising. Relax, you'll have a ball! Enjoy your first cruise and prepare to be hooked! :D

What kind of ball? Volleyball, baseball, basketball, handball, football, soccer ball ... You have to be more specific.

You might find this item in the Cruise Critic blog to be useful:

5 Things to Pack for Your Cruise

Also, regarding dining, I agree with cb at sea. On your first cruise the traditional seating is best for socializing with folks. If you request an 8 top in traditional, you'll really have a great time meeting and befriending fellow cruisers. The fun part will be exchanging the day's experiences over dinner, bumping into table mates while ashore, etc.

While it's only natural to be apprehensive about doing something as unique as cruising, as others have said, just relax and enjoy yourself. The worst part of any cruise is how fast disembarkation day arrives and you're forced to return to the real world, ready or not.

I would agree about trying to get changed to traditional dining. I have cruised many times in the past. But I am doing my first solo in September. My wife cant get off of work and I NEED another cruise at this point. I will do traditional dining, at least the first couple of nights, So I can meet new people. I understand if you ask they will place you with other solo's at a big table. You may just meet some people you would like to hang out with on a beach in port. I am a little apprehensive about my first solo. But I know it will end up being a blast. Besides most people are very friendly with a few adult beverages in them. And EVERYONE is drinking on the ship :)

Edited by clskinsfan

We two women traveling together had no problems anywhere in Italy that we went. We landed and stayed two night in Venice. Took the train from Venice to Rome, and then transferred to the different train from Rome to Civitavecchia.

No problems with pickpockets or harassment. Almost everyone spoke some English, and really how much Italian do you need? Italian and English are closely-related languages. Say the word in English, and chances are it's pretty close to Italian. Point at your choices on the menus. Try saying some words in Italian, and usually they will help you. It was all good!

BTW, I learned lots, but here's one thing I won't forget. I ordered Pistachio gelato, and the server kindly said, "Not 'pitashio', it's 'pistackio.'" There you go - one mistake you won't make! Not that anyone was ever unkind about our mistakes.