Harwich Cruise Train 2015

We were hoping to take the cruise train from London Liverpool Street station to Harwich International to meet HAL's Ryndam for our June 13 cruise. However, I was informed by the train company that they will not be putting on special trains for the Ryndam... only RCI's Brilliance of the Seas this year. The reason given wa that Brilliance of the Seas is considerably larger than Ryndam, and therefore running a special train is worth their while. Not so for Ryndam.

There will be the usual train service, requiring a stop and change of train at Manningtree Station.

We are trying to decide between taking the regular train to Harwich International and the Harwich Cruise Bus. It would have been so nice to have that direct train! :(

The train change at Manningtree was not a problem even with the stairs and luggage. There was even staff available to assist those in need. I was worried about the platform change and the scheduled timing and it turned out to be a none issue. You do not want to doddle...but you will have time. Save your pennies...it's worth the price!

Sandy

Manningtree is a hick little country station. There's no elevator, there are steps down, tunnel under the track, steps up to the next platform, where the Harwich train will be waiting for you. It's timed to connect with the train from London - if the London train is a few minutes late, it will wait. A bit of a bind with bags, but there'll be lots of your fellow-passengers doing the same thing - especially if there's no cruise special.

If you're returning to London same-way, the change at Manningtree is all on one platform - from one side of it across to the other, very easy.

Because of the fare difference (half the price), I'd use the regular train in preference to the cruise special anyway.

JB :) (professional cheapskate ;))

Edited by John Bull

Manningtree is a hick little country station. There's no elevator, there are steps down, tunnel under the track, steps up to the next platform, where the Harwich train will be waiting for you. It's timed to connect with the train from London - if the London train is a few minutes late, it will wait. A bit of a bind with bags, but there'll be lots of your fellow-passengers doing the same thing - especially if there's no cruise special.

If you're returning to London same-way, the change at Manningtree is all on one platform - from one side of it across to the other, very easy.

Because of the fare difference (half the price), I'd use the regular train in preference to the cruise special anyway.

JB :) (professional cheapskate ;))

I'll carry a set of bags between two platforms for 20 quid every day of the week.. Where can I sign up?

(asst deputy professional cheapskate)

• 1 month later...

We decided to take the regular train with the change at Manningtree, and received our train tickets in the mail today. The price was absurdly low, done in advance as we did. I just couldn't justify the cost of the cruise bus. We'll make sure that we pack as lightly as possible (glad that HAL has self-serve laundry facilities!) in order to negotiate the stairs at the station more easily.

Thanks for the info.

Hi, I once missed a train in the UK due to a late arriving ship and could not use my ticket for a later train. Curious about this train to Harwich. If I purchase in advance and my plane is late, am I able to catch a later train?

Thanks!

We made this trip a couple of summers ago -- no problems at all. The train change in Manningtree was not that bad (I rehearsed it in my head many times before we arrived in London). At that time, we paid £8 each one way; as the cruise train was close to £50.

We did taxi from our hotel near the British Museum over to Liverpool Street Station. (I don't recommend the tube with all that cruise luggage; not fair to the locals as you gum up the works)

We did a car service (Smiths) after the cruise, as we needed to scamper down to Southampton to board the Queen Mary 2 for a TA back to NYC.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi, I once missed a train in the UK due to a late arriving ship and could not use my ticket for a later train. Curious about this train to Harwich. If I purchase in advance and my plane is late, am I able to catch a later train?

Thanks!

It all depends what type of ticket you book. Some are only available for specific trains which you can't transfer. Others can be used on all departures or those departing between certain hours. Cheaper tickets usually have more restrictions. The web site will tell you the restrictions when booking.

It all depends what type of ticket you book. Some are only available for specific trains which you can't transfer. .......

Thanks for the info! I may be taking a cruise that departs from Harwich. On another Thread, a fellow passenger said she missed her Italian train for which she had advance tickets and was reimbursed for her replacement tickets by her travel insurance. I wish I had known this years ago when I lost that other ticket, but according to her---at least her plan---wouldn’t reimburse the first ticket, but reimbursed the replacement. That gives me more confidence now buying in advance, especially with a good deal.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Thanks for the info! I may be taking a cruise that departs from Harwich. On another Thread, a fellow passenger said she missed her Italian train for which she had advance tickets and was reimbursed for her replacement tickets by her travel insurance. I wish I had known this years ago when I lost that other ticket, but according to her---at least her plan---wouldn’t reimburse the first ticket, but reimbursed the replacement. That gives me more confidence now buying in advance, especially with a good deal.

Happy Travels!

This would only work if the insurance company believe you allowed enough time between your flight and the train departing.

Can someone explain the cruise train to Harwich? We will be taking the Brilliance of the Seas and am interested in the Cruise train which someone referred to. Is it specifically for cruise passengers and do we reserve this ahead of time? Any info will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Earlier this month (May 2015), we arrived in Harwich on Ryndam and found that the bus service offered by International Friends was the best way to get to London. They go to Gatwick or Heathrow and and offer stops at 150 different London hotels. It was not cheap, over 50 pounds pp, but was quite easy. I found them through londontoolkit.com. This bus service takes everyone to the Tower of London and has a 45 minute break while some of the passengers are loaded onto smaller vehicles to travel to different hotels. A member of the International Friends staff told me that they also do buses from London to Harwich to meet arriving cruise ships and there is a description of the London to Harwich service on The London Toolkit site. The trip was good and included a little commentary. Clean bus, good trip, no problems, as promised.) I purchased our tickets in advance online.

According to the railroad web site, we would have had to take three different trains and a bus to get to our hotel, lugging our baggage at each change. We were told by a Briton on our bus that there is a great deal of work going on that affects train service between Harwich and London and that one needs to check on the train schedule fairly often to see what might be changing. (Note; we arrived on a bank holiday, which may have reduced the number of trains available.)

Can someone explain the cruise train to Harwich? We will be taking the Brilliance of the Seas and am interested in the Cruise train which someone referred to. Is it specifically for cruise passengers and do we reserve this ahead of time? Any info will be appreciated!

Thank you!

The timings of the cruise trains are on this page http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp

It is specifically for cruisers (though I think anyone else can book it), but its only real advantage is that it goes direct to Harwich International, which is right beside the cruise ship. All other services you will have to change at Manningtree (down 13 steps, through subway, up 13 steps). However, for the privelege of not having to change they charge you double the normal fare. It is much easier and more flexible and cheaper to use the 'ordinary' train. You will normally find someone to help you at Manningtree if you need it. Use http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search for train details.

Simon

If you buy advance tickets, can you get E-tickets that you can print on your computer? Our cruise is May 30, and there wouldn't be time to get tickets in the regular mail.

If you buy advance tickets, can you get E-tickets that you can print on your computer? Our cruise is May 30, and there wouldn't be time to get tickets in the regular mail.

Yes, you should have that option. Failing that, you can use the credit card you paid with to access one of the ticket 'vending' machines for pre paid tickets which will print your ticket out for you at the station, but pre print them at home if you can.

Simon

We will buy advance tickets for the trip to Harwich, but what about our return trip to London? Should we skip the advance tickets because the ship may arrive late? If we do not have advance tickets, do we pay full fare? The same price as the "anytime" ticket? Is there a possibility that some of the earlier trains may be sold out if we do not have advance tickets?

If you don't buy the advance ticket then yes you pay full fare although sometimes there are different levels of full fares depending on when you travel etc. Annoyingly in the UK trains don't sell out so they sometimes sell more tickets then the number of seats but this probably won't be the case on this route