What is the best way to communicate with your teens while on the ship?

It's not just a matter of whether you trust your kids, but whether you trust EVERYONE else onboard. Plus, kids do stupid things and there's a lot of ocean for them to fall into without anyone noticing.

If a cruise line was so inclined, it wouldn't really cost that much to implement a shipboard intranet that allowed communication between people aboard ship while not necessarily allowing internet access (if they still wanted to charge for that portion of it). Since most people have smartphones these days, the ship could either use an intranet based text messaging app or each person could have an on-board email address that was only accessible via the ship's network.

It's not just a matter of whether you trust your kids, but whether you trust EVERYONE else onboard. Plus, kids do stupid things and there's a lot of ocean for them to fall into without anyone noticing.

If a cruise line was so inclined, it wouldn't really cost that much to implement a shipboard intranet that allowed communication between people aboard ship while not necessarily allowing internet access (if they still wanted to charge for that portion of it). Since most people have smartphones these days, the ship could either use an intranet based text messaging app or each person could have an on-board email address that was only accessible via the ship's network.

I don't know how much it would cost to implement intranet, but as long as the cost is taken only from those who want to use it, I'm fine with it. But as anyone of "a certain age" can remember, it is possible to live, prosper, and bring up children without internet - and that "certain age" is only about 25. So don't bust a gut trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

As for trusting "everyone on board", that's not really relevant as far as teenagers are concerned. If you're not safe from axe murderers / sex offenders / violent criminals at 14 or 16, you aren't safe at 18, 21, 25, 30, 50, or 100 either. If the danger of criminals is so great that teenagers can't be let out, then better off staying at home because the danger is too great for adults as well.

Seems like this question took a wrong turn! [emoji12]

All internet topics eventually morph into either sex, politics, or guns.

Speaking of which... Do the ships still have skeet shooting on board? I remember seeing that periodically on the old Love Boat TV show, but I've never noticed it on any of the cruises that I went on.

One advantage to the note leaving method, IMO, is that you don't have to be carrying a device such as a phone or a walkie talkie. I know my daughter wouldn't want to be carrying anything more than her cabin card (and that's so that she can buy herself a soda).

She was 13 and 15 on our last cruises and we did take her the first night so she can meet other teens on that second to the last one. She knew one of her friends from that one was going to be on that last one (same ship, same time of year, same itinerary) so they made plans to meet up. She thought the planned activities were "lame" so her group did other things such as putting on a ping pong tournament, checking out the art in the gallery, etc. She did love going to the shows (sometimes even with us).

All internet topics eventually morph into either sex, politics, or guns.

Speaking of which... Do the ships still have skeet shooting on board? I remember seeing that periodically on the old Love Boat TV show, but I've never noticed it on any of the cruises that I went on.

Long time ago RC used to have skeet shooting off the aft. Believe it was canceled because of environmental reasons. Ex-Marine husband loved it and duly impressed friends.

• 2 weeks later...
Well we are back! Wonderful time had by all! Boys did their own thing! Checked in with us now and then! Always showed up on time for dinner! And they enjoyed the activities in the teen club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all the boys made it back without broken bones or concussions, all's good.:D:p