Paradise in Tampa what do you think?

theriac

...Thanks for your recent posts, actually all of them. I remember you from that post a while back regarding Tampa/Skyway. We were both a part of that one...

Thanks - certainly an interesting discussion then and now too. The bridge is getting some focused attention by the Port Authority with the hope of making it work for everyone; only time (and some ingenious engineering) will tell. :D

...Only issue in my mind is that the Paradise is currently assigned to the port. Have never sailed it or that class of ship, however, the negative reviews of the ship are rather daunting. That said, as long as they put HMC on the itinerary, I'd give it a whirl...

Unfortunately sailing to HMC would pretty much mean that Paradise would have to sail there and back again almost non-stop. :eek:

I LOVE sailing out of Tampa, and have done "Paradise" over, and over again, not to mention "Miracle", "Inspiration", and all the other Carnival ships that have sailed out of this GREAT port over the years. Can't wait to hear the news, and start booking another fantastic Carnival ship out of Tampa. :cool:

I've met you, (Captain Carnival) at the port, and look forward to shaking your hand again soon.

"SKY"

Unfortunately sailing to HMC would pretty much mean that Paradise would have to sail there and back again almost non-stop. :eek:[/b]

if whatever ship had enough bells & whistles, a day (or two back-to-back if I'm being greedy;)), would work for me.

seriously, could you guess how 'long' a cruise from TPA would need to be to support visiting HMC and perhaps Key West or even Nassau?

It's not just a Carnival Issue. Nearly all the itineraries that sail from Tampa are exactly the same, except for RCI that throws in a random stop in Key West every so often. I would love a second Carnival ship, or at least a different Fantasy-class ship to mix things up. Paradise has been here for a while now. I sail on her in less than 2 weeks for the first time and am still excited, even if some of the post-dry dock reviews are "meh". Whether or not you shuffle or add ships, shuffle the itineraries!!! I love some of the OP's ideas. And, even that random port in New Orleans would be nice! I live here in Tampa and love the idea of leaving from here (Yes, I know I opened the door for the flamers who have to drive/fly to port and love to "boo hoo" Florida peeps). I can't wait until 04/06 to see what's coming to Tampa!:D

if whatever ship had enough bells & whistles, a day (or two back-to-back if I'm being greedy;)), would work for me.

seriously, could you guess how 'long' a cruise from TPA would need to be to support visiting HMC and perhaps Key West or even Nassau?

Only 5 days. Over Christmas of last year Paradise did a 5 day to HMC and Nassau.

I wish there were more Carnival options out of Tampa as it is a decent drive for us from Tennessee. Miami is a bit too far to comfortably drive for me. I know that Port Canaveral is nearby as well and that may be a factor in there too.

We are doing a 7 day of Tampa on NCL but the next Carnival one for us will be from Jacksonville.

I wish there were more Carnival options out of Tampa as it is a decent drive for us from Tennessee. Miami is a bit too far to comfortably drive for me. I know that Port Canaveral is nearby as well and that may be a factor in there too.

We are doing a 7 day of Tampa on NCL but the next Carnival one for us will be from Jacksonville.

Don't despair....there is some good news coming for Carnival cruisers here in Tampa so stay tuned!

Don't despair....there is some good news coming for Carnival cruisers here in Tampa so stay tuned!

Does this good news include Guys Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Cantina, Bonsai Sushi, ext? If not then it's not that good of news in my book.

Does this good news include Guys Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Cantina, Bonsai Sushi, ext? If not then it's not that good of news in my book.

This ^^^^

Also a few new ports of call. Id really like to get a ship that does 6/8 night cycle cruises with that go to Costa Rica, Panama, and/or Colombia. If this could be offered once a month people would jump at the opportunity to take these along with some eastern Caribbean itineraries. Lots of people want to sail from here and those ports would bring people to this port along with a 6 day to western Caribbean that the Pride did but only 3 ports instead of 4.

If we are talking about the return of a Spirit Class ship - Yes if it is Legend or Pride, but sadly No if it is Miracle or Spirit however there can always be another dry dock.

I also don't understand what Tampa ships can't go to Key West either.

They can as Key West is certainly close enough - the real question is "will they"...only time will tell.

Port Tampa Bay is far from dead and Paradise, or another Fantasy class ship, will not be the only Carnival vessel in port for very much longer....more to follow on April 6th!

I so hope you're right!!

BTW, it was nice to meet you on 3/1!

I like the options OP set forth. How many times can you do GC, Cayman???

Paradise is in rough shape.

...BTW, it was nice to meet you on 3/1!...

Nice to meet you too and hope to see you again sooner than later!

Captain Carnival, I hope I get to meet you when we check in for our 04/13 Paradise cruise!

I'll bet there Amber - just listen for the boarding announcements and you'll hear me too!

We definitely need a ship about the size of the Pride, the Paradise is a "good time " ship, I wish it would do at least a 6 day cruise ... maybe just a stop at key west for the sixth day ...Only thing I would like them to fix is the ladder in the pool on the Paradise ... it tilts back climbing out or going in ... comedy is good, food is good, old ship, was our first cruise, but i tell you what, everywhere you looked, people were cleaning ... things were old, (but clean) ..:)

We just sailed the Pride, it was great, if they put a ship in port like that, change up the ports you go to, would be a hit ..any port would be ok, as long as it doesn't stop at work ...

We sailed out of Tampa for our 13 day Panama Canal cruise and really enjoyed it there (we loved Ybor) and seeing the air field and the bridge on sail away was wonderful.

One of the workers noted that their was not many locals on board our cruise yet it definitely had exotic ports so I guess Carnival cannot win with some. The fact is that if you keep doing 7 day cruises it will seem stale after a bit.

I remember someone on here talking about them wanting to build a port further out and past the bridge or was that just wishful thinking?

We have never sailed from Tampa; the short cruises do not appeal to us as we travel from UK to USA so we tend to go for 6,7,8 day cruises and only 6 Day if we are doing a B2B that has an eight day the following week or the previous week to the 6 day cruise.

I think a shake up of itinerary's sounds great as a whole; I enjoy sailing with Carnival (wouldn't class myself as carnival loyal, but I know what I like and currently I have no reason to look elsewhere company wise for a cruise) but the itinerary and ship port locations are becoming stagnent - maybe I cruise too often but the switch of ships home port locations coupled with the change of itinerary's would be fantastic!

We sailed out of Tampa for our 13 day Panama Canal cruise and really enjoyed it there (we loved Ybor) and seeing the air field and the bridge on sail away was wonderful.

One of the workers noted that their was not many locals on board our cruise yet it definitely had exotic ports so I guess Carnival cannot win with some. The fact is that if you keep doing 7 day cruises it will seem stale after a bit.

I remember someone on here talking about them wanting to build a port further out and past the bridge or was that just wishful thinking?

The Panama Canal cruise was a repositioning cruise which doesn't interest or seem doable to the average cruiser. If they had that itinerary and it returned to Tampa I bet a lot more locals would be on board the ship. I agree 7 day cruises become stale, especially in the Caribbean, but putting 1 or 2 new ports in the rotation excites people just enough to cruise again.

Also there's been talk of a new port, or fixing the bridge problem, but its all talk, it will take at least 10 years from when they start a build or dredge. Government construction contracts in this area are notorious for being over budget and way past the proposed finish date. It would be nice if they could figure it out but its all a money game to them. They dont realize the ships that can sail here are getting older and sooner then later will be retired leaving Tampa no cruise industry except for some really small lines that may try to take the market. Think celebration cruise line but to Cozumel instead of Freeport.

Think celebration cruise line but to Cozumel instead of Freeport.

Celebration Cruise Line has ceased operation after crashing their only ship in Freeport. The principals have started a new cruise line, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, with the purchase of the Grand Celebration (ex Grand Celebration, ex Celebration).

First to all of our visitors from the UK, I am so glad so many of you folks come to the Tampa Bay area to visit. When I am at the airport watching airplanes take-off and land I am pleased to watch BA2167 arrive from Gatwick. I hope we make you feel welcome here. We sure appreciate you coming to visit and hope you keep coming back.

Yes the view of the air field and the Skyway bridge are great. I have traveled on 3 cruises from here, and now more and more seek other places to cruise from as the itineraries are limited for the most part to the western Caribbean. I loved Carnival Legend but once on that itin' was enough.

Glad you were able to take part in the Legend re position through the canal.

That must have been great. Interesting what the staff member told you about only a few from the local area on board. I wondered about that.

I don't mind the 7 night (8 is better) cruises but keep looking for different ports to travel to and on different ships. I have been to 20 different ports in the Caribbean so I am limited in finding new ones more and more. Still quite a few out there though that I have not been to.

Yes possibly a new port will be built outside the bridge, but that will be a long way from now, if ever. I hope so, but not encouraged by it actually ever happening.

Thanks again for your visits to the US and the Bay area. Happy sailing.

If we are talking about the return of a Spirit Class ship - Yes if it is Legend or Pride, but sadly No if it is Miracle or Spirit however there can always be another dry dock.

They can as Key West is certainly close enough - the real question is "will they"...only time will tell.

Royal Caribbean includes stops in Key West on their 4/5 night sailings on the Brilliance of the Seas.