Which Cruise Line Would You Recommend To Us?

VodkaCran

Hi folks!

I'm in the (very) early stages of planning an Alaskan cruise for my DH and I. We're both cruising veterans (I've only sailed on Carnival, he's sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean), but Alaska is uncharted territory for us as we've only gone on Mexican/Caribbean sailings. Carnival has become a bit stale for us, but I understand Alaskan sailings might be completely different.

So, based on your experience, which cruise line would you recommend? Here's what's important to us:

- We're in our late 30s/early 40s with no kids, and while we enjoy cocktails and entertainment, we aren't night owls. Much more the nature-loving, reading, learning new activities types

- Since this is going to be a special cruise, we aren't as budget conscious, but we're not going to charter a private yacht, either. ;)

- The ship itself is very important, so a cruise line that values public spaces and a well-filled roster of activities is crucial. Specialty restaurants, libraries, things like that are awesome.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Hi folks!

I'm in the (very) early stages of planning an Alaskan cruise for my DH and I. We're both cruising veterans (I've only sailed on Carnival, he's sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean), but Alaska is uncharted territory for us as we've only gone on Mexican/Caribbean sailings. Carnival has become a bit stale for us, but I understand Alaskan sailings might be completely different.

So, based on your experience, which cruise line would you recommend? Here's what's important to us:

- We're in our late 30s/early 40s with no kids, and while we enjoy cocktails and entertainment, we aren't night owls. Much more the nature-loving, reading, learning new activities types

- Since this is going to be a special cruise, we aren't as budget conscious, but we're not going to charter a private yacht, either. ;)

- The ship itself is very important, so a cruise line that values public spaces and a well-filled roster of activities is crucial. Specialty restaurants, libraries, things like that are awesome.

First decide what is important to see in Alaska . Then look at the different cruise lines and how much time you want to spend in port.

You also have to decide do you want to cruise from Seattle or Vancouver BC . Also how much time do you want to spent in Alaska and if you want a land tour after.

There are many questions to answer and then start looking at which cruise line your vacation time.

For an Alaska cruise, people generally find the itinerary to be the most important factor. They want to go to ports that support their interests, and they want to be in port long enough to enjoy planned activities. Timing is also critical for certain activities such as fishing and bear viewing ... there are peak windows of time and they vary by port.

Is this a RT cruise or a one-way ?

Since you haven't started your research yet, I recommend that buy or borrow from your library, books that are specific to Alaska cruising. They discuss cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, activities, excursions, etc

Ann Vipond has 'Alaska by Cruiseship'

Fodor 'Alaska Ports of Call'

Another great resource .... there are about 50-60 trip reports posted in the STICKY near the top of the page. Many are detailed photojournals that will bring the trip to life. The first line indicates the ship, date, itinerary and who travelled.

Have fun with your research.

With your priority on the ship experience, none are going to be stacked with activities- like the Caribbean. I suggest, you may want to read several Alaska reviews from all the cruiselines.

You may also want to find out about Alaska, educate yourself, on EACH port, determine what route you want, what activities you are going to do- way, before you get looking at ships.

IF it really doesn't matter what the itinerary is, (some people think this to begin with, then I see a shift with the more they find out :) ) possibility Celebrity, may be a consideration, along with maybe, Princess and HAL? Start there.

My personal choice is Celebrity. It's not the party boat but not overly stuffy.

We did the northbound trip from Vancover to Seward on the Millenium. Alaska is beautiful (thinking of doing it again but round trip from Seattle). I sailed on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and will be on a disney ship in May. If I can choose I'd go Celebrity.

If you do end up in Seward I highly recommend getting the "special" train. It was one of the highlights. (Cruise line runs this so ask when you make reservations.) cost was around $100pp but worth it in my opinion...

Best of luck!

Thanks, everybody! You've given me some great starting points. I've been reading some awesome trip reports - as a result, I'm leaning towards a one-way cruise with some extra time in Alaska tacked on either before or after depending on the itinerary.

Aside from Sitka (which seems to have universal glowing reviews), we aren't hugely attached to itinerary - DH primarily wants to spend some quality time around mountains and glaciers since we don't have those down here in Florida. ;) I think he'd be happy sitting on the balcony most of the time! LOL!

So, sounds like I have a lot more research/reading to do. Thanks for your patience with a total Alaska newbie! :D

Hi folks!

You have your selection parameters totally wrong. Maybe they work in the Caribbean but they are all wrong for Alaska. In Alaska, the ship and its amenities should be the last thing you consider.

Consider in order of decreasing importance -

1. Whether you want a one way cruise or a round trip cruise

2. Whether it departs from Seattle or Vancouver

3. Itinerary - what ports you visit

4. Whether you visit Glacier Bay

5. What time you arrive in port

6. What time you depart from port

7. How long the cruise it

8. What time of year you will be cruising.

9. the ship

Specialty restaurants, libraries, a roster of activities and other stuff like that is totally unimportant in my opinion when you go to Alaska.

DON

Thanks, everybody! You've given me some great starting points. I've been reading some awesome trip reports - as a result, I'm leaning towards a one-way cruise with some extra time in Alaska tacked on either before or after depending on the itinerary.

Aside from Sitka (which seems to have universal glowing reviews), we aren't hugely attached to itinerary - DH primarily wants to spend some quality time around mountains and glaciers since we don't have those down here in Florida. ;) I think he'd be happy sitting on the balcony most of the time! LOL!

So, sounds like I have a lot more research/reading to do. Thanks for your patience with a total Alaska newbie! :D

All cruises in Alaska will give you mountains and glaciers. Glacier Bay followed by Hubbard Glacier will give you and DH an idea what Glaciers and mountains are like.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

A variation of the one way cruise is to go halfway and then go over land to Anchorage area to start your one way trip Southbound. This option allows you to explore Yukon and get a head start on the Denali segment.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/Denali

This option also doubles some of your South Alaskan port time for excursions.

Don't forget to budget extra time in Vancouver.... it's a bonus port!

...Don't forget to budget extra time in Vancouver.... it's a bonus port!

Definitely! We have friends who live there, so we're hoping to spend some time visiting with them.

After checking out ship amenities across the lines that cruise to Alaska, it looks like Celebrity is the strongest competitor. Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback!

Hi folks!

We've cruised on eight different cruise lines...

But, when it came to cruising Alaska for the first time--11 years ago--we settled on Celebrity...

We are going again this June...and, again, on Celebrity...

Basically, Celebrity became clear as the best cruise for us--for a lot of the same important criteria as what you point to in your post...We enjoy cocktails and entertainment, lounges and ample public spaces...We're not night owls per se, but we do enjoy having plenty to do after dinner and on at sea days...

Celebrity has the most uncrowded ships with the best space-per-passenger ratios (they will seem outright spacious after your prior cruises on Carnival). The food and service is outstanding (the service really blows Carnival away)...The entertainment is very good. The demographics are older than on Carnival or RCCL, but there is still a wide range of ages (unlike some other lines which are definitely older)...You will find many people in your approximate age group...

That said, you have three basic options:

1) A round trip cruise in and out of Seattle

2) A round trip cruise in and out of Vancouver

3) A one-way trip either from Seward to Vancouver or vice-versa...

When we went the first time, we really wanted to add a land tour option--since we didn't know when we'd get back to see the interior of Alaska--so, it was necessary to do a one-way...and we opted to do it SOUTHBOUND--thereby getting the more exhausting land portion (changing hotels every night, packing and unpacking, etc.) out of the way first before relaxing a bit on the ship...We booked a 13 night package, then added two more nights in Vancouver at the end...The trip was great...

Looking at all three options, there are some issues with the round trip routes--especially the Seattle routes. Since they must stop in one foreign port, the Seattle routes usually make one very short almost worthless stop in Victoria (They often only stop for three hours at night--and you could easily visit Victoria during your pre-or post cruise stay in Vancouver)...This stop is in place of one of the Alaska ports...And, in order to make up time for the longer trip, the Seattle trips bypass some of the more scenic cruising on the at sea days...

On both versions of the Round Trip, they've got to add travel time to backtrack and get back to the home port, costing you time in port in some of the stops.

Many people book the round trips thinking they are saving on airfare--doing a round trip air to either Seattle or Vancouver rather than a flight into Anchorage and home from Vancouver...But, when we priced it for our cruise this June, we found that, though it was more for the split destination flights, the amount more was more than made up for by lower cruise prices on the one-way cruise...So, again, we ended up with a southbound Seward to Vancouver cruise...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

There are small ship companies that will immerse you in nature (all excursions/kayaking included) and get into spots that the big boats can't. They don't have a rigid schedule, so you can dally for an hour watching the whales.

We spent 10 days on the Pacific Catalyst, and had one of the best trips of our lives. Anchored in quiet bays; woke up to see a grizzly on shore; had whales bubblenetting near the boat; had Dall porpoises surfing our bow wake as we watched from 4 feet above the water. Gourmet food and a library full of books. Tiny cabins! But all you do is sleep in them.

There are small ship companies that will immerse you in nature (all excursions/kayaking included) and get into spots that the big boats can't. They don't have a rigid schedule, so you can dally for an hour watching the whales.

We spent 10 days on the Pacific Catalyst, and had one of the best trips of our lives. Anchored in quiet bays; woke up to see a grizzly on shore; had whales bubblenetting near the boat; had Dall porpoises surfing our bow wake as we watched from 4 feet above the water. Gourmet food and a library full of books. Tiny cabins! But all you do is sleep in them.

NOW, that's the cruising to do!!!!!!

I hope to make the jump some day, but haven't yet. :( I'm in the volume cruising mode- cheap. I'll have to try and move outside my usual.

We've cruised on eight different cruise lines...

But, when it came to cruising Alaska for the first time--11 years ago--we settled on Celebrity...

We are going again this June...and, again, on Celebrity...

Basically, Celebrity became clear as the best cruise for us--for a lot of the same important criteria as what you point to in your post...We enjoy cocktails and entertainment, lounges and ample public spaces...We're not night owls per se, but we do enjoy having plenty to do after dinner and on at sea days...

Good luck...

But have you been to Glacier Bay? I do not believe that Celebrity goes to Glacier Bay. This would be a must see for me.

DON

But have you been to Glacier Bay? I do not believe that Celebrity goes to Glacier Bay. This would be a must see for me.

DON

We have been to Glacier Bay four times. I prefer it to Hubbard Glacier. With Glacier Bay you'll see how a valley changes as a glacier retreats.

Princess and Holland America do Glacier Bay from Vancouver. Some Celebrity cruises do as well.

Our preference is Princess some would prefer another line.

We have been to Glacier Bay four times. I prefer it to Hubbard Glacier. With Glacier Bay you'll see how a valley changes as a glacier retreats.

Princess and Holland America do Glacier Bay from Vancouver. Some Celebrity cruises do as well.

Our preference is Princess some would prefer another line.

Celebrity never sails Glacier Bay. NCL has 2 cruise ships that do, and Carnival has a few sailing early and late season.

Edited by Budget Queen

I will add this....Princess has the biggest presence in Alaska....especially in Denali.....HAL is next, Celebrity is third and the rest are neck in neck for tying in last.....That said, the itinerary is the place to start looking. I would suggest that you take some time before or after and see a bit of the rest of Alaska....if only for a few days. Our state stretches the equivalent from ND to almost the LA border....The south east hangs out about the GA/FL border and the Aleutians hand out by CA.....You don't see the immenseness of it until you start to fly over it. Get a book, read it and decide what you want to do....

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in July. Seeing Glacier Bay is a big priority for us and while I loved Celebrity in the Mediterranean last summer, I ruled it out for Alaska because they do not have permits to visit Glacier Bay. Princess and Holland America have the most sailings visiting Glacier Bay and both lines have a strong presence in Alaska. Of the two, I felt Princess would work best for us. Perhaps incorrectly, I perceive Holland America to be a bit stuffy.

I echo the sentiment that you need to continue your research and determine what you want to do and see in Alaska before selecting an itinerary and ship. You want to make sure your port schedule allows you enough time for your desired activities.

Have fun with your planning!

NOW, that's the cruising to do!!!!!!

I hope to make the jump some day, but haven't yet. :( I'm in the volume cruising mode- cheap. I'll have to try and move outside my usual.

Instead of doing you multiple less expensive cruise ship trips to AK, you should do a small boat cruise at least once. You will love it and you will also look at the big ships completely differently.

I do agree that they are expensive but you get what you pay for. How many times have you cruised to Metlakatla? How many times have you tied up to the dock at the Glacier Bay Park Headquarters? How many times have you nosed against a waterfall and taken a very cold shower in the waterfall?

DON

Instead of doing you multiple less expensive cruise ship trips to AK, you should do a small boat cruise at least once. You will love it and you will also look at the big ships completely differently.

I do agree that they are expensive but you get what you pay for. How many times have you cruised to Metlakatla? How many times have you tied up to the dock at the Glacier Bay Park Headquarters? How many times have you nosed against a waterfall and taken a very cold shower in the waterfall?

DON

It's not lack of money or time that's holding me back. I'd still be spending a lot of time there on the cheap cruises. ;)

It actually would be wheelchair accessibility- which most of these do not have- due to my husband. He says "I drag him all over". :) I will have to look into it further, for sure.

We have cruised both Princess and HAL to Alaska and liked them both. However, we are returning this year and will take HAL. We are doing a 14 day cruise which visits some of the smaller towns. We did the same itinerary in 2011 and loved it. One big difference between Princess and HAL is ship size. Princess ships are almost too large for AK unless you take the Coral or the Island, whereas HAL ship are smaller. Our ship, the Statendam, carries 1250 pax. Also HAL visits Sitka and Princess does not. HAL has a higher percentage of older pax but their beds are to die for and the beds on Princess are like concrete slabs (unless they have changed a lot). And you can get unlimited laundry for $7/day on HAL so that you don't have to spend one or two days washing clothes.

OP: Everyone is recommending mass market lines, but don't be quick to discount the luxury lines. If they fit in your budget you would be wise to look at them. If you look at them make sure you look at what is included. Regent is all inclusive and includes quiet a few tours in their costs. These lines also include airfare or will give credit if you don't use it. Just some more things to think about.