Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

If you go back to the beginning of this thread (I don't necessarily recommend this unless you're really bored), you'll see that it didn't start with someone demanding quiet. It started with someone asking for more music and activity and others saying they were perfectly happy with a calmer poolside atmosphere.

MUTS is Movies Under The Stars, the outdoor screen at the main pool.

Jim

Started from beginning but lost track somewhere along the way. I'm with the OP on this one. I just noticed alot of preference for quiet.

I almost fell out of my lounge chair when I read in my Princess Patter there was a Mr. Sexy Legs contest poolside. Maybe try sailing out of Texas. :)

We knew something was wrong when we saw this as well. We walked past during the event and it was awful. Trashiest Princess cruise we've ever taken - worse than a Carnival three-day with worse-than-Carnival people. Needless to say, we've learned our lesson... never book a short cruise again.

The culture is making it worse with the cell/ipad/constant attention to something moving...I see people walking their dogs with their nose in their phone/texting or talking......really?

I always think that is being so rude to the poor dog . . .

Think about what they do to their kids!

I don't think it is always about reading. Some people need stimulation outside of themselves to feel "vitality."

I believe these are officially called "extroverts", though "attention whores" is usually more apt.

Edited by furb

My wife and I would disagree with the term "Escape Completely" in our case. Perhaps that's why we enjoy music and activities by the pool.

Our lives are great, good jobs, no drama at home, etc.

So when we cruise, it's to experience new things, and to be entertained. Either by the cruise staff or from meeting people or visiting new places.

We are not "Escaping" anything, in fact, just the phrase itself seems to promote the idea that someone's normal day-to-day life is so bad that you need to escape from it.

Perhaps that's why so many have posted about needing a quiet pool atmosphere so they can read and put their normal lives away for awhile.

Luckily, we don't have a need for that, and look to participate as much as possible while onboard.

Cruising is not a good fit for anyone that needs to have everything their way or its a bust.

There are 2000-3000 people on most ships. It is up to you to take advantage of what is offered or not. If you can't find something to interest you among all the activities, dining experiences and entertainment, then don't waste your money and time taking a cruise.

There is something for everyone, somewhere on the ship and the pools are both active and quiet. Find the active pool if you need that and the quiet pool if that is what you need. Everyone has a right to enjoy themselves. :rolleyes:

Cruising is not a good fit for anyone that needs to have everything their way or its a bust.

There are 2000-3000 people on most ships. It is up to you to take advantage of what is offered or not. If you can't find something to interest you among all the activities, dining experiences and entertainment, then don't waste your money and time taking a cruise.

There is something for everyone, somewhere on the ship and the pools are both active and quiet. Find the active pool if you need that and the quiet pool if that is what you need. Everyone has a right to enjoy themselves. :rolleyes:

Exactly - that was the point of my initial post.

We only wished that one pool out of the 4 onboard would have had a more festive atmosphere.

Never did we want a strolling rock band to roam around disturbing all areas of the ship.

We respect the fact that some would rather find a quite area in which to read or have private conversation, and this expectation should certainly be guaranteed onboard

Just like a little fun should also be guaranteed in other areas as well

This thread is scaring me. I literally had printed today an itinerary to propose to my sister in law.

Pool games?

Loud canned music?

Drinking/partying?

Save me.

Is the Pacific Princess any different or is it like this on all of them? I thought she would like a Greek Islands cruise and Princess has a good variety of ports.

Should I just retreat back to Windstar?

This thread is scaring me. I literally had printed today an itinerary to propose to my sister in law.

Pool games?

Loud canned music?

Drinking/partying?

Save me.

Is the Pacific Princess any different or is it like this on all of them? I thought she would like a Greek Islands cruise and Princess has a good variety of ports.

Should I just retreat back to Windstar?

The problem, as the OP seems to suggest, is that Princess does not have enough in the way of pool games, loud canned music, drinking and partying. Most people who have responded here have said they prefer a more quiet atmosphere (which OP objects to.) You will be safe on the Pacific Princess. It's smaller, has but one pool, and the passengers seem to be those of the genuine "classy" sort. It even has a library (a lovely one) where you might find some of the anti-social readers OP objects to. PP is nearly perfect. OP would not like it.

Thanks for the reassurance. What I liked about the PP was the number of dining venues and yet not such a huge jump in size for me. Fingers are crossed too that the larger size will have less ship motion. My sister in law is a first time cruiser and a little nervous.

I too miss the live upbeat "vacation" music and even sometimes watching the cheesy pool games. They can be quite funny actually and I don't agree with suggestions that I need to cruise Carnival to get that. I've been cruising Princess since 1973 and they used to always have this type of action at one of their pools as an option. I think it would be great to bring back the lively atmosphere at one of the pools as Princess had in the recent past. I've noticed they have been slowly eliminating this on West Coast cruises for the past 7 or so years. It appears the OP and I need to fly back to Florida if the mood calls. :cool:

Exactly - that was the point of my initial post.

We only wished that one pool out of the 4 onboard would have had a more festive atmosphere.

Never did we want a strolling rock band to roam around disturbing all areas of the ship.

We respect the fact that some would rather find a quite area in which to read or have private conversation, and this expectation should certainly be guaranteed onboard

Just like a little fun should also be guaranteed in other areas as well

I wish there was a "like" button sometimes. I agree so much with what was just said.

My wife and I would disagree with the term "Escape Completely" in our case. Perhaps that's why we enjoy music and activities by the pool.

Actually, they no longer push "escape completely". It is now "come back new".

So, they are at least talking like you would like them to be. Of course, a lot of the ads for "come back new" show excursions to exotic places, rather than parties at the pool.

Here's the long version of one of the ads....you'll notice there is noting about pool parties.....

https://www.youtube.com/user/princesscruises

So when we cruise, it's to experience new things, and to be entertained. Either by the cruise staff or from meeting people or visiting new places.

We are not "Escaping" anything, in fact, just the phrase itself seems to promote the idea that someone's normal day-to-day life is so bad that you need to escape from it.

Perhaps that's why so many have posted about needing a quiet pool atmosphere so they can read and put their normal lives away for awhile.

Luckily, we don't have a need for that, and look to participate as much as possible while onboard.

Scott:

I assume you're not a bad guy and not intending to insult people who read, but the above post suggests you don't need to read or enjoy quiet time on a cruise, because you and your wife don't have to "escape" bad jobs or "drama at home."

Do you realize that this suggests anyone who feels differently than you do must have "problems at home" or a lousy job? I have a wonderful home life and am retired from a satisfying job, and I still like to read on a cruise. I don't tell you to be quiet, and I don't insult you. We're just different.

Jim

Scott, there are some things going on the Regal Princess this sailing around the pool Tomorrow on our sea day they have a DJ, followed by Fun in the sun with pool staff, followed by Adult Fun in the Sun - Sexy pool legs. Then at 4:15 they have early evening tunes so they seem to be doing some things.

It's nice since there is a quiet pool and then things going on at the main pool besides loud movies. Today it was loud around the pool with the MUTS and i so prefer having some fun around the pool.

For those who want solitude, there are plenty of places to sit and relax and read. For those who want entertainment, there is some entertainment going on outside. Best of both worlds!

Scott:

I assume you're not a bad guy and not intending to insult people who read, but the above post suggests you don't need to read or enjoy quiet time on a cruise, because you and your wife don't have to "escape" bad jobs or "drama at home."

Do you realize that this suggests anyone who feels differently than you do must have "problems at home" or a lousy job? I have a wonderful home life and am retired from a satisfying job, and I still like to read on a cruise. I don't tell you to be quiet, and I don't insult you. We're just different.

Jim

You make a good point Jim, and I respect your honest response.

I'm certainly not opposed to reading ( In fact I'm doing it now), but for us, we don't see the value in spending the thousands on a cruise to enjoy something we do frequently at home. I guess that was my point.

But that's only our opinion, and I think we both agree that Princess should certainly have areas available to satisfy both our needs.

Only the most ardent supporters of a very somber and quiet cruise experience have not agreed that it's fair to have both active and peaceful pool areas, believing that if Princess lets loose a little with poolside music and games their passenger demographic will suddenly become trashy and uncouth.

Funny, since my wife and I dress to the nines during all formal nights, frequently purchase artwork onboard, attend most wine tastings and appreciate what most would say are the finer things in life - ballet, opera, live theater and classical music to name a few.

But since I like a little fun and laughter poolside, I'd better set aside a sleeveless t-shirt and saggy jeans for my next visit to a Princess dining room

After all, people like us belong on Carnival according to some

Wondered with your Elite status if you were trying to get & give info to Princess

to fulfill desires of their consumers. Something does not ring true about the tenacity of your posts. Just sayin'

Wondered with your Elite status if you were trying to get & give info to Princess

to fulfill desires of their consumers. Something does not ring true about the tenacity of your posts. Just sayin'

Wow?

Scotto97 with all due respect to you, I question your need to explain yourself to these people, you owe them no explanation other then the topic of your post, they just don't get it, their comments are rude arrogant snide and disrespectful.

Their cruise dollars are no better then yours, mine or anyone else.

Just my thoughts.

John