Cruise Certificates

Dorene1

I purchased 2 Certificates when I was on my last NCL cruise. It seems like I couldnt book anything and it is valid thru Nov 28, 2015. Do they ever extend them? I thought I would use them and I hate to waste them.

I purchased 2 Certificates when I was on my last NCL cruise. It seems like I couldnt book anything and it is valid thru Nov 28, 2015. Do they ever extend them? I thought I would use them and I hate to waste them.

they are good for 4 years. they generally won't extend them but you can always ask.

If you are pretty sure you won't be able to use them yourself, offer them for sale right now, ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely you will be forced to sell them at a lower price than what you paid for them. If you sell them now, you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting your money back.

I thought you had to book AND sail before they expire?

That was what I thought too, but nope. The last one I used was on a cruise that sailed after the certificate expired. I just had to use the certificate to book the cruise before the expiration date.

Here are the T&C's....note the highlighted portion.

Norwegian's Freestyle Cruise Rewards Terms & Conditions for US and Canada

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or Norwegian at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation. Cruise Rewards cannot be redeemed online.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your Norwegian guest record or Norwegian Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit. A Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. Cruise Rewards Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer.

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, The Haven and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

7. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit.

8. You must notify Norwegian or your Travel Professional that a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline and travel agent rates.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit, you must submit the cancellation in writing and it must be received by Norwegian in accordance with Norwegian cancellation policies and procedures. The Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, but will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. You are expected to have appropriate travel documentation. Cancellations due to lack of appropriate travel documentation (e.g., improper or expired visas or passports, etc.) will incur applicable cancellation fees.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the NCL the NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCL and/or NCL America Inc.'s (together "NCL") Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

I'm too lazy to search for it, but I think someone posted that you had to sail by the expiration date.
Those are the current rules, but it is possible that the OP's FCRs date from before the rule changed. They should try to dig up their documentation and check what the terms were at the time (or call NCL and see if they know).

We had two certificates that were about to expire also. Our PCC told me to just book anything - as long as something is booked you can always then change the reservation to another cruise further out once you know what you want to do. We did just that - and twice changed our reservations. It all worked out great and we didn't lose the certificates. We bought them in Nov 2010 and we used one for a cruise this upcoming July and the other for a reservation in March 2016.

Edited by ljrfrm

The older FCR had "nicer" terms - expire in 4 years unless booked ... (something along those lines) I don't have our last 2014 one to compare with. Just check with an extended family member who purchased one recently and (oh, gosh) it stated that it must be booked & sailed within 4 years of purchase, so the fine prints was changed. Thus, the above posted T&C is probably, likely, presumably, ... correct.

Whether NCL will "honor" #cough #cough - prior terms & conditions and grandfathered previous terms & sail beyond 4 years from initial date of purchase - we shall see, soon, I guess. (Going to dig them out to compare)

My own feeling is that we might be seeing some, an uptick, insigificant "fire sale" of these soon to expire FCR coupons in the coming months or to just get rid of them for what residual value they might have (at or below $200 or 150 for its full face value of $250 ... as the purchaser received $100 OBC then)

Standby for another can of earth worms to be unleashed - 25 pages worth of thread coming up next, "assume battle stations, all hands - ding, ding, ding, sound the general alarm & hurry"

For reference - I found one, FCR purchased onboard the Jewel back in Oct. 2011 expiring Oct. 2015 (4 years from date of purchase) - I stand corrected & to set the record straight, it did noted - must book and sail within 4 years, so the wordings dated back to 2011 that pax must also sail or lose it. This was used/applied to the 2014 BA sailing.

Feel free to compare it line by line, word for word. If anyone has an older one to share as the 2011's would soon expire - as I usually don't keep these for so long, but ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/2015%20BA%20Dailies/NCL%20FCR%20Cert.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/2015%20BA%20Dailies/NCL%20FCR%20Cert_0001.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109650591/2015%20BA%20Dailies/NCL%20FCR%20Cert_0002.jpg

Thank You, I believe mine do say book and sail as well, but I will call NCL. I guess sell them if they cant negotiate something with me. I did book for November but I am not sure I can sail then. Now any suggestions where to sell them LOL

Dorene

Thank You, I believe mine do say book and sail as well, but I will call NCL. I guess sell them if they cant negotiate something with me. I did book for November but I am not sure I can sail then. Now any suggestions where to sell them LOL

Dorene

Yes, someone in this thread already offered their email address, so start there. You can contact them, do the transaction through Paypal, get the other person's latitude number, then contact NCL to move the certificate from your account to theirs. If you post here with them to sell, you will most likely have takers. Otherwise you can use Ebay.

You just need to use the certificates before they expire, not sail before they expire, so maybe you can book something next year?

I believe you must book and sail within 4 years of the date of the certificate.

Harriet

That was what I thought too, but nope. The last one I used was on a cruise that sailed after the certificate expired. I just had to use the certificate to book the cruise before the expiration date.

I don't know how or why that was permitted but the rules clearly state you must book and sail within 4 years of purchasing.

Harriet

Yes, someone in this thread already offered their email address, so start there. You can contact them, do the transaction through Paypal, get the other person's latitude number, then contact NCL to move the certificate from your account to theirs. If you post here with them to sell, you will most likely have takers. Otherwise you can use Ebay.

Takers unless you expect $250!! That's no value to a buyer.

Dorene

People have posted them here from time to time to sell. CC rules don't allow it, however. Some threads have remained here and others the mods have removed. Otherwise, there is always Ebay.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I did book for November but I am not sure I can sail then. Now any suggestions where to sell them LOL
Put your e-mail (or better yet, set up a new e-mail address specifically for this) in your signature or CC profile. People who are interested can contact you directly. If you are not sure you can sail in November, definitely sell them now. The next time you decide to sail NCL, plan ahead a bit and buy an FCR from someone else (or ask someone you know who is cruising to buy on for you on board).

Dorene

Is it safe to say one is tied up with this booking?