Santorini - Time concerns

zipad3dodah

Hello!

We are leaving on the Norwegian Jade next month and the ship states that we dock at 1:30pm and depart at 10pm on May 4th.

It sounded like we have a lot of time but I believe we don't for the following reasons:

Sure it docks at 1:30pm but by the time they clear the vessel, clear customs, and let priority passengers who have booked excursions with the cruise ship I am assuming it will be around 2:30-3pm when regular passengers can get out of the ship.

I've heard that the line for the funicular can be very long and take as much as 2.5-3 hours! So let's say we arrive at Fria around 5pm.

I hear that the funicular closes at 9pm (is this true?) and they recommend everyone to start making the line 1-2 hours before your ship leaves so you don't get left behind (7pm - since you have to be on the ship at 9pm, an hour before it leaves). However, I just finished reading some reports with people saying the walk down (route of the mules) is not bad and takes around 20-30 minutes. Is this correct?

Sounds like we might have a mere 2 hours on the island after all is said and done.

Are my calculations correct? There are 2 ships in port that day according to the port website, but I also just finished reading a report on how someone else ended up having 8 ships dock that day and it wasn't listed on the site. The other ship arrives before us, 8:30am and leaves around 3:30pm . Also, our ship holds 2,224 passengers.

Anyone have any experience with a similar port time around May that can give me some insight about tendering and most importantly the funicular?

I'm considering booking an excursion on the cruise just to confirm we can get off the boat right away and not waste any time. Then ditch the tour. But it will be an awful lot of money. But as they say, money is time. Just not sure what it would be.

Thanks in advance!

Several problems with your time line. First, no immigration or customs.

Second, assuming you are the only ship arriving around 1 or so, there won't be a line going up the cable car.

Third, some ships tender to both locations at once

They use local tenders, larger than the ships. They move pretty quick. Using your 1:30 arrival, I would put you in Fira before 3pm.

Providing your ship arrives from a previous port that is a member of the EU there is no Immigration or Customs.

Tender services in Santorini are provided by the Longshoremen of Santorini

for all Cruise Lines.

Tenders to bussed Shore Excursions operate to a separate point where buses can get down to Dockside .

All other independent travellers are tendered to the quay below the cliff face at Fira. From here your options to get to the top to Fira are 1. Cable Car 2. Donkey 3. Walk up three hundred stone steps .

With only two cruise boats in port the line for the cable car should not be too bad . Tip take the donkey or cable car up, and if you are pressed time coming down you can always walk, just look out for donkey land mines on the stairs .

Edited by kuldalai

Please don't use the donkeys when you see how they struggle in the heat, you will see how wrong it is.

Santorini is very small you can just take a bus, it's cheap quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tendering is usually by local boats - and they're very efficient.

Ship's excursionists are taken to the little ferry port, a mile or two to the south where the road comes down to the sea, so they will barely figure in your timing.

The other ship will not figure in your calculations either, because of its arrival & departure times - though beware of incomplete port schedule sites, as per the example you quoted.

No customs/immigration/visas etc.

The key is to get an early tender. So get to the tender ticket distribution point or meeting point (different ships, different routines) good & early.

The "donkeys" aren't donkeys, they're mules.

Not the most caring operators but they do avoid excesses - I've seen overweight folk being turned away.

There's the option of a boat from the tender jetty to Oia, avoiding the ascent of the cliff - but I don't know whether it operates for your arrival time. Check the big "boat to Oia" thread on this forum.

For the return to the jetty the zig-zag path isn't too difficult. Few mules if any at that time. Wide steps & strong walls, just be careful that some stones (the shiny ones) are slippery.

Takes 25 to 30 mins, but allow yourselves a clear 45 mins before "last tender time".

If you make the effort to get an early tender & there are no other ships on a similar schedule you could have 5 hours, Fira to Fira.

No worries :)

JB :)

Please don't use the donkeys when you see how they struggle in the heat, you will see how wrong it is.

Santorini is very small you can just take a bus, it's cheap quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The animals are not donkeys they are mules, and they do not struggle in the heat. Mules are pack animals and have been bred for years to haul much larger loads than a human.

There is nothing wrong with riding a mule.

If you don't want to take them, then don't but please don't spread incorrect information.

Thank you to all who have commented!

For those of you that mentioned not to ride the mules, I agree! That is why I factored in waiting times for the funicular only as opposed to also factoring in mule rides.

I called Norwegian today and they told me they do not hand out tender tickets and it will be first come, first serve. Oh boy. That's gonna be tough considering everyone will be ready to go since it docks in the afternoon :(

When I was in Istanbul I saw a man probably in his late forties carrying a huge box / package on his back by the Grand Bazar - he was stooped about half way over under the weight of it. Him, I felt very sorry for - I bet he wished he had a mule!

Mules (or donkeys) have been used by man for carrying items and humans for centuries - on some of the Greek islands they are used to transport luggage to the hotels. On Santorini these donkeys do not plod up the hill as if they are on the point of exhaustion. No, it is more like Mr. Toad's wild ride as they go charging up, pushing thru the walkers and other donkeys. So if any reader can get over their (mis-placed) sympathy for the mules, just be prepared to hold on tight and be careful of your legs scrapping against the stone walls as the mules storm up to the top.

We visited last october Santorini we were on a costa cruise.We didn't have such a problem with the time I don't think you will have either.It is still low season for them.It's better not to ride the mules you can walk if you want to the port it takes the same time!

We did a lot of research and we booked a private transfer it is cheaper than the ships' excursions and not being in rush to get the bus etc.They were waiting for us at the cable car,and we immediately started our tour we didn't loose any time!Consider it as an idea.Maybe you can find someone else to share the tour to be even cheaper!We used Gold Street travel for the tour if you want to ask them.

It's a wonderful island you will definately love it!

My husband and I are new to cruising and are going on Celebrity Reflection Eastern Med cruise in July. We are due to arrive in Santorini on Wed 22 July at 1400, is there any way I can find out how many other ships are also due in that day? I need to decide whether to book a Celebrity shore excursion and get priority departure from the ship or whether to do it independently. Any advice gratefully received!

My husband and I are new to cruising and are going on Celebrity Reflection Eastern Med cruise in July. We are due to arrive in Santorini on Wed 22 July at 1400, is there any way I can find out how many other ships are also due in that day? I need to decide whether to book a Celebrity shore excursion and get priority departure from the ship or whether to do it independently. Any advice gratefully received!

Check out http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Celebrity_Cruises/Celebrity_Reflection/July_2015/

From what I can see it is only you and MSC Musica but they arrive in the early hours and leave by 17.00 so the early evening it is just you.

• 2 weeks later...

It's May 4, so I'm hoping the original poster will eventually come back on here to tell us how she/he fared. Did you use your ship's tenders or Santorini tenders? (I just read one post in which a ship's tenders were used - unusual!) Did it take long to get a tender? Did you have to wait until all the excursion folks got ashore? Did you see any evidence of the boat to Oia? How were the lines for the cable car, both going up and down?

Just as clarification, I've found a better source for checking ship arrivals than the usual suspects like cruisett and cruisetimetables. It is http://www.santorini-boatmenunion.com/images/cruiseship.pdf Unfortunately, it's only posted every month for ships coming to Santorini that month. However, I believe it's more accurate than the other sites people use, and it includes big ships as well as small ships, which is a plus. Of course, it says Norwegian Jade is there tomorrow instead of today as the original poster thought, so who knows?? If Jade is there tomorrow, it looks bad in terms of port load, but at least the other 2 ships are there in the morning and leaving at 3 and 7 PM.

Edited by roothy123