Can You Bring This Type Of Food Back Into The US?

GulfCoaster

On our upcoming stop in Cozumel we are thinking of visiting the Mega supermarket if we have time and was wondering if you can bring back food into the US. Thinking of the fresh made tortillas. No, meats or cheese. Just tortillas. They are not sealed in a can or a box but in a bag with a twist tie. I know that vanilla, hot sauce, rum cakes, etc. is OK but something that is not "factory sealed"?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

You can bring them back but I don't think they will stay "fresh tasting" for very long.

Are you sure you can bring back something that is just in a bag with twisty?

I would think the answer is "no" unless it is totally sealed.

Regulations about food just talk about meat/fruit/vegetables,cheese/etc. . They don't talk about bread products needing to be sealed. See below:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

I wouldn't bring them back because they won't taste fresh by the time you get them home!

Edited by riffatsea

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I would have to say you are all correct and by the time we got home they would be stale. So no go on that. Oh well, it never hurts to ask around.

Again, thanks for your help and have a great weekend everybody!

I've always wanted to stop there and bring back some pastries to have with coffee when we got back to the ship. Haven't tried it...didn't want to have to throw it away.

If you have in mind to bring back pastry, ask on the gangway when you get off the ship in port. Ask security if they will allow you to bring back your box of bakery products. Most usually you can.

HAL permits food to be brought aboard. It is more a question of what can be brought off the ship.

We have brought back lobster rolls for officer friends who could not leave the ship, smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal, all sorts of things with no difficulty. Certainly some common sense applies. ;)

DO NOT plan to bring food off the ship.

Edited by sail7seas