Packing Wine in Luggage

Hi All

Has any Aussies bought a wineskin (or equivalent) from stores or online around Australia? I have had a look online and can really only find overseas places.

Going to buy a few bottles in Napa Valley in June before we fly to Florida to get on our cruise. Just need it to make the flights cross country before the cruise.

Thanks

*Mods* Ive put this here as I am looking for AU sellers.

I bought some of those in Martinborough, New Zealand but have never seen them in Australia.

Mostly I use bubble wrap plus two large zip lock bags. Wrap the bubble wrap around the bottle, put into one bag and seal, then put that bag upside down into the second bag. Pack the bottles in the middle of your suitcase surrounded by clothes. I've carried wine all over the wold like this without any issues and, personally I think it's better than the wineskins.

Wineskin? You going to decant bottles?

I am not sure the cruise line will allow any decanted alcoholic liquids to be taken on board. Unless in original bottles, they won't know what it is (and doubt anyone will taste it to find out). Guessing if they find it, they will just confiscate/dump it.

We have done the same for flights. We bought what is like a stubby holder, only taller and made esp for wine bottles, from our local bottle shop (BWS). Same wetsuit material as a stubby holder, with a zip up the side. Inexpensive, and have travelled and worn perfectly.

It might pay to check the regulations about packing and carrying liquids on flights these days. Its not a bed of roses any more.:mad:

I think it's still OK in checked luggage. Qantas allows up to 5 litres per passenger which is more than the duty free allowance, I think. Not sure about US airlines though.

I have been taking wine in my luggage for years. I have just used the presentation boxes with a bit of extra padding or just spread them around among my personal effects. I do have hard sided suitcases though. And I have never had a single breakage.

It might pay to check the regulations about packing and carrying liquids on flights these days. Its not a bed of roses any more.:mad:

Passengers can carry liquids on Australian domestic flights, but not on international flights or on American domestic flights.

Passengers can carry liquids on Australian domestic flights, but not on international flights or on American domestic flights.

That's carry-on, I think.

I'm fairly certain you can still put liquids into your checked luggage on international flights but not sure about US domestic.

I have been taking wine in my luggage for years. I have just used the presentation boxes with a bit of extra padding or just spread them around among my personal effects. I do have hard sided suitcases though. And I have never had a single breakage.

I've never had any breakages either but I still double pack in zip-lock bags just in case. Red wine makes an awful mess when it spills ;)

That's carry-on, I think.

I'm fairly certain you can still put liquids into your checked luggage on international flights but not sure about US domestic.

You can pack whatever liquids you like in checked luggage, whether the flights are domestic or international. I referred to "carrying" - hand luggage.:)

GandM-nq, it sounds like you were thinking of rum runners which is what some people use to 'smuggle' spirits aboard.
No, there are actually satchels made from leather that are used for wine carrying (and drinking from) - called wineskins. This is what I thought of initially when I read OP's post. THEN I was thinking wait, can't be seriously thinking of using a wineskin to carry wine in.

After seeing a few other posts, did a google and realised that the "WineSkin® bottle transport bag" was most likely what OP was referring to. Never heard of them before. Made sense then.

Edited by GandM-nq

No, there are actually satchels made from leather that are used for wine carrying (and drinking from) - called wineskins. This is what I thought of initially when I read OP's post. THEN I was thinking wait, can't be seriously thinking of using a wineskin to carry wine in.

After seeing a few other posts, did a google and realised that the "WineSkin® bottle transport bag" was most likely what OP was referring to. Never heard of them before. Made sense then.

Yes, I know the ones you mean. Must admit I didn't think of your wineskin though.

We have done the same in the past. Have also used cardboard posting boxes from Australia post and packed it in those, they are very well insulated against bumps and they flat pack until you want to use them.

Edited by 3littlepigs