Two Quantum Sailing Review's - Now Live Review from Anthem April 30

I have previously been on two quantum cruises. Now I have booked 3 Nt. Royal Experience, Paris & Bruges April 30, 2015 to Le Havre and Zeebrugge.

I will post review's at this tread as well as on my blog. My primary focus is changes in Dynamic Dining, the shows and possible changes from Quantum.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Read my Quantum of the Seas review:

Maiden Transatlantic Voyage, November 2, 2014

12 Nt. Southern Caribbean Cruise, January 11, 2015

Link to the upcoming Anthem Review:

3 Nt. Royal Experience, Paris & Bruges, April 30, 2015

Edited by hallasm
spelling mistake

Check-in and boarding went smoothly, and at 1am we gotaccess to our cabin 8282. No difference from the corresponding cabin at Quantum, except form a kettle and mugs.

We had only carry-on suitcases for our three day cruise, so we packed immediately and went for lunch in the Windjammer.

The first challenge was to get the internet to work. There were problems with creating the account and we had to see customer service twice to get the problem solved, but then Internet worked fine.

We have Dynamic Dining Choice, but not booked any restaurants in advance. The only change I have seen for restaurants until now to Jamie's Italy is now a la carte restaurant.

We booked table in Chops Grill for tonight.

We followed the sail away from Southampton from our balcony.

For dinner in Chops we had a salad starter, a excellent steak for main course and a dessert cake. A really nice menu. Unfortunately there were a family with 4 quite noisy children.

After dinner back a glass of wine in Vintage before bedtime.

Tomorrow I will use the day to find more differences.

Also visit my cruise blog.

Questions are still welcome.

We go on Sunday on the same itinerary, so I'd be interested to know if you leave the ship if you do any DIY excursions? And do RCI put any free shuttles on (I heard on the maiden there was a free shuttle in Le Havre to the centre).

Also the big question - are they doing the Taste of Anthem menus every night as some have been told?

Enjoy :-)

Thanks for the live review, it will be interesting to see how things compare with your cruise on Quantum.

Hopefully RCCL have learnt a lot from the Q maiden season and the discontent that arose. However they seem to be creating interesting new potential pitfalls such as the previously mentioned Tastes menu for one.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am still confused about the D+ internet. Can you use it each day, or does it have to be unlimited for a few consecutive days?

At this cruise we could choose between 3 packets:

Super Cruise Special , Cruise Special and Daily plan.

Super Cruise Special is for the entire cruise at $20 per day for two devices ($140 for a 7 nt cruise)

Cruise Special is for the entire cruise at $15 per day for one device ($105 for a 7 nt cruise)

Daily Plan $30 for 24 continous hours

As a D+ you get a discount voucher at $60. I'm not sure how it will work with the Daily Plan, but for the 'Specials' the price is reduced with $60.

Edited by hallasm

Also the big question - are they doing the Taste of Anthem menus every night as some have been told?

At this cruise it is the same 'Taste of Anthem' in all four complimentary Dynamic Dining restaurants - I have asked and got the answer that is is only for this short 3 days cruise - at longer cruises they will have different menu's in the different restaurants.

The 'Taste of Anthem' is OK for this cruise.

We arrived into Zeebrugge at 8am

We had prioritized to walk around the ship rather than go ashore. We walked through the whole ship from deck three to deck 16. - Restaurants, two70, The VIA, bars, Seaplex and pool areas and more. Still a true copy of Quantum - just art installations were different - we spent a lot of time looking at the pictures. I will soon post a video from my tour round the ship.

In windjammer they have introduced a new routine of washing hands with soap and water instead of the usual dispensers with alcohol disinfection. It gave a queue at the wash basins at peak times.

Dynamic Dining Choice

We had not booked tables in advance for the restaurants, but had no problem with getting a table at a time that suited us. There was no lines at the restaurants.

A taste of Anthem: All four Dynamic Dining Complimentary Restaurants were serving the same menu that this short cruise. At longer cruises there is a separate menu in each restaurant

- The menu was created two showcase the best dishes from the four venues.

Todays dinner was at Chic - a menu of crab cake, grilled lobster tails and apple pie.

Dynamic Dining Classic

Here you eat together with the same group every night in different restaurants. One has the same waiters every night. On this trip was the order Chic, American Icon Grille and Grande.

From 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm there were Royal reception with a glass of champagne and a short speech by Captain Gus Andersson

The evening show was Spectra's Cabaret. An electric multi-dimensional cabaret with a blend of live performance cinematography together with music, sound and light. Impressive graphics on Robo and Vistarama screens, but the music was not quite my key. However a impressive show.

We go on Sunday on the same itinerary, so I'd be interested to know if you leave the ship if you do any DIY excursions? And do RCI put any free shuttles on (I heard on the maiden there was a free shuttle in Le Havre to the centre)

In Zeebrugge it's possible to take a train to Brugge (train every hour)

Yes, there is a free shuttle bus every 30 minutes from the harbour to the centre of le Havre.

Thanks for the live review, it will be interesting to see how things compare with your cruise on Quantum.

Hopefully RCCL have learnt a lot from the Q maiden season and the discontent that arose. However they seem to be creating interesting new potential pitfalls such as the previously mentioned Tastes menu for one.

Enjoy your cruise.

I were also at the Quantum Maiden Voyage November 2 from Southampton.

Certainly a big difference . Apart from a very minor problem registering the account the internet is working. The restaurant reservation system is also working and so far I have not noticed any problems.

I also recognise a lot of staff from my previous Quantum cruises.

Anthem is certainly delivering as promised - and expected.

Here are some pictures from the Spectra's Cabaret

An electric multi-dimensional cabaret with a blend of live performance cinematography together with music, sound and light. Impressive graphics on Robo and Vistarama screens, but the music was not quite my taste. However a impressive show.

spectra.jpg

At this cruise it is the same 'Taste of Anthem' in all four complimentary Dynamic Dining restaurants - I have asked and got the answer that is is only for this short 3 days cruise - at longer cruises they will have different menu's in the different restaurants.

The 'Taste of Anthem' is OK for this cruise.

Thanks for clarification - was already worried that our 12 day won't have proper Dynamic Dining.

My cabin 8282 is a category D8 Superior Ocean View Stateroom w/ Balcony. The cabin is spacious and the bed is nearest the bathroom, while the sofa nearest the balcony.

There are two spacious closets - one just for hangers. Unfortunately, there are two hanging rails and the bottom is firm and rather short distance between the two railes. The second cabinet is with drawers and long clothes. Also includes safety box. In addition, there are two spacious closets over the beds and four drawers in the closet with minibar.

There is a small work table that can be moved and used as a table in connection with sofa.

Bathroom is also nicely spacious. Balcony on the nice room for two chairs and a small table.

Over work table, two US power outlets and one European (None UK style). There are also a US style plug by the bed. There are two USB sockets to charge mobile phones and tablets.

There will soon be a review video of the Cabin.

Edited by hallasm
spelling mistake

First, the Taste Of Anthem menu, is it for all three day cruises or just this one?

Second, some are asserting that there is a new dress code for these 3 day Anthem cruises, "Dress in Your Best", which is the equivalent of formal on at least one, if not all nights. Some have referred to it as "Royal Nights" or "Royal Gala Nights". Can you comment?

Edited by RocketMan275

First, the Taste Of Anthem menu, is it for all three day cruises or just this one?

Second, some are asserting that there is a new dress code for these 3 day Anthem cruises, "Dress in Your Best", which is the equivalent of formal on at least one, if not all nights. Some have referred to it as "Royal Nights" or "Royal Gala Nights". Can you comment?

The Taste Of Anthem is for intended for all the three day's cruises. The menu card is different for the 3 days, however the same in all restaurants. We did dine in Silk tonight, and they did have some 'hidden' Silk menu's you could order in addition to the 'official' menu card. In general I think the concept is working OK. We did order a traditional Silk menu.

Tonight's Attire: Wear your best was only for Day 2 and the Royal Reception. As for Quantum the dress code is 'dictated' by the restaurant for the dinner. Not specified for Day 1 and Day 3 .

The Taste Of Anthem is for intended for all the three day's cruises. The menu card is different for the 3 days, however the same in all restaurants. We did dine in Silk tonight, and they did have some 'hidden' Silk menu's you could order in addition to the 'official' menu card. In general I think the concept is working OK. We did order a traditional Silk menu.

Tonight's Attire: Wear your best was only for Day 2 and the Royal Reception. As for Quantum the dress code is 'dictated' by the restaurant for the dinner. Not specified for Day 1 and Day 3 .

So if we ask for the full menu we can get it? If so I will be happy again :-)

Re: the drss your best thing, when did they anounce this? The night before?

So if we ask for the full menu we can get it? If so I will be happy again :-)

You will not be able to get the full menu. The waiter did have a not with some additional Silk dishes - I still believe it will be sufficient to meet your needs!

Re: the drss your best thing, when did they announce this? The night before?

It was announced in the Cruise Compass

You will not be able to get the full menu. The waiter did have a not with some additional Silk dishes - I still believe it will be sufficient to meet your needs!

It was announced in the Cruise Compass

Still don't understand the "Dress Your Best". Is this a 'formal night'? What exactly are the requirements? Were those requirements enforced?

Still don't understand the "Dress Your Best". Is this a 'formal night'? What exactly are the requirements? Were those requirements enforced?

Same here - I guess it is a wish for people to dress more formally. But since there aren't formal nights - it must be only a request. More information would be great.

I have not the proper definition of "Dress Your Best," but I suppose like JezzaC that it is an invitation to attend the 'Royal Evening' at the Royal Esplanade in the 'best dress', albeit not formal because most restaurants is smart casual except Grande.

Overall it was a high level of attire on this trip compared to my Quantum cruises, and people were also festive dressed for Friday's 'Royal Evening'. there was no elaboration of "Dress Your Best" in Cruise Compass and far from everyone was formally dressed.

I was our primarily interested to see the difference between Quantum of Anthem, so again we decided to stay onboard rather than visit Le havre or do an excursion.

Anthem of the Seas is truly a sister ship to the Quantum of the Seas - it is a true copy. The only immediate difference is the decoration. Therefore, the VIA also is the place, where I have experienced the most visible difference so far.

We also spend some time to have a look at all the artwork in the stair cases.

Lunch in Windjammer. Againg hign focus on 'wash your hands'

Dinner in Silk. For sure my favorite restaurant. A pitty with the "best of Anthem Menu" - but the waiter did have some additional Silk menu options in his hand.