5 more sleeps and more veendam to bermuda questions

Shih-tzu

Sorry - have a few more questions and time is running out for me to research everything so here we go....

(1) When touring off ship, what are we required to carry with us? I know that we need our ship ID - do we need to carry our Passports/other ID's as well? Thinking that Passports/beach/water don't particularily mix well and was hoping while at beach wouldn't have to worry about anything left on a beach chair (my camera is waterproof and if my beach towel goes missing I'm not too worried as it's old anyway.....).

(2) I read about people getting up VERY early to get a deck chairs and have been somewhat "amused" reading some of the chair hog threads. Is this an issue on this cruise route and ship? (I'm not talking about saving a chair, but would they all be gone between 8-9am?)

(3) DVDs - is there a charge for these or does it work like a library where you sign one out and then return it before you get another one?

(4) Shops - can find much info reference the shops on board. Are these open on days we are actually in Bermuda if we need to pick something up unexpectedly (as I see the shops close at 5:00pm in Hamilton).

(5) Coke or Pepsi products? (sounds trivial....may determine if I bring some of my own.

(6) Formal night - I have read so much about formal nights that I'm completely confused (which doesn't take much on some days :p ). Some say that full bib'n'tucker is required, others say no - and I can't even remember at this point which cruise line threads I've read. Would black dress pants and a nice blouse with a scarf suffice with black flats? Suitcase space is at a premium and I do want some room to bring home some gifts.

(7) If it gets really choppy at sea, what activities continue and what ones might get cancelled? (I realize that for safety the pool may have to be closed but would the hot tubs remain open?). And, IF something should happen that it's rough enough that I would need the dreaded "shot", does anyone know what the ship's infirmary charges for this?

Thought I had it all figured out, and then last night I woke up at 2:30am with all these thoughts running through my head..... Maybe I'm just too old to handle this much excitement? :rolleyes:

Sorry - have a few more questions and time is running out for me to research everything so here we go....

(1) When touring off ship, what are we required to carry with us? I know that we need our ship ID - do we need to carry our Passports/other ID's as well? Thinking that Passports/beach/water don't particularily mix well and was hoping while at beach wouldn't have to worry about anything left on a beach chair (my camera is waterproof and if my beach towel goes missing I'm not too worried as it's old anyway.....).

We only take the ID card and our driver's license with us when we get off the ship.

You do not have to take your own beach towel. The ship provides beach towels -- they will be in your cabin. If you lose them, you will be charged $28. If they get dirty, just place them on the bathroom floor and your cabin stewards will replace them.

(2) I read about people getting up VERY early to get a deck chairs and have been somewhat "amused" reading some of the chair hog threads. Is this an issue on this cruise route and ship? (I'm not talking about saving a chair, but would they all be gone between 8-9am?)

It is hard to tell if your cruise will have a lot of people wanting deck chairs. I doubt if they would all be gone between 8 - 9 AM.

(3) DVDs - is there a charge for these or does it work like a library where you sign one out and then return it before you get another one?

There is no charge for the DVD's. There will be a list of what you can borrow -- by the TV in your cabin. I have seen people pick up 3 and 4 at a time at the Front Desk.

(4) Shops - can find much info reference the shops on board. Are these open on days we are actually in Bermuda if we need to pick something up unexpectedly (as I see the shops close at 5:00pm in Hamilton).

It has been a while since we did a Bermuda cruise, but I do not remember the ship's shops being open until evening. Hopefully someone who has cruised to Bermuda will come along and answer this question better than I can.

(5) Coke or Pepsi products? (sounds trivial....may determine if I bring some of my own.

Coke

(6) Formal night - I have read so much about formal nights that I'm completely confused (which doesn't take much on some days :p ). Some say that full bib'n'tucker is required, others say no - and I can't even remember at this point which cruise line threads I've read. Would black dress pants and a nice blouse with a scarf suffice with black flats? Suitcase space is at a premium and I do want some room to bring home some gifts.

Yes -- your outfit will work for formal nights.

(7) If it gets really choppy at sea, what activities continue and what ones might get cancelled? (I realize that for safety the pool may have to be closed but would the hot tubs remain open?). And, IF something should happen that it's rough enough that I would need the dreaded "shot", does anyone know what the ship's infirmary charges for this?

We have cruised in some very choppy water and only a couple of pool activities were cancelled. Once the pools and hot tubs were drained.

Since neither of us have ever gotten sea sick, I have no idea if they give the shots or what they charge. I do know that they give free pills. You can even get them at the front desk.

Thought I had it all figured out, and then last night I woke up at 2:30am with all these thoughts running through my head..... Maybe I'm just too old to handle this much excitement? :rolleyes:

Hope I have helped you a little.

Thank you Krazy Kruisers - that helps.....

Over lunch hour a friend asked me how I plan to "decorate my door"???? Is this something some people do????? (and what DO they do?)

Thank you Krazy Kruisers - that helps.....

Over lunch hour a friend asked me how I plan to "decorate my door"???? Is this something some people do????? (and what DO they do?)

I think some people might decorate their door so they can find it easier or they enjoy it. I've been on about 35 cruises and never felt the need to do this. I'd rather be outside.

While I've never docked in Hamilton when cruising to BDA, I think the ship's shops have to be closed all the time when in port. There MIGHT be a few Hamilton stores that stay open past 5 for sundries. On the Bermuda board, there's a great poster - NJHorseman (I think is the poster's name) - incredibly knowledgeable about Bermuda - that might be able to answer that part of your question.

Rarely' date=' very rarely, do you see a door decorated on HAL ships. On most cruises all I would ever see is a door or 2 with balloons if there was a birthday or anniversary, but that's it.[/quote']

I agree! On one of our Christmas cruises people were putting Christmas decorations on the doors, and on several of our cruises the staff would place balloons on our door for birthdays or our anniversarys.

Denise😄

Five more sleeps - I love it! I think I especially love it because that also applies to us, just five more sleeps until we start our cruise on the Veendam. Sorry I have no answers for your questions, but we will soon find out lol Yay!!! :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Five more sleeps - I love it! I think I especially love it because that also applies to us, just five more sleeps until we start our cruise on the Veendam. Sorry I have no answers for your questions, but we will soon find out lol Yay!!! :D

Lorie

Sounds like a countdown to Christmas (but even better).....actually 4 more sleeps until I have to leave home....

See you there :-)

Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. We loved Bermuda when we were there.

I have never decorated our door, but i will say that the balloons on our neighbors door made finding our cabin SO much easier! :) We seldom looked at the cabin number locator plaques when getting off elevators or stairs. We just looked down the hallway, and there were "our" balloons!!!