Does anyone really buy the artwork??

mistyinca

We enjoy the art auctions as entertainment and we've bought some print's and a few original's because we loved them. We had no expectations that they'd be worth anything in the future. We generally pass on the "champagne"! Sometimes, if you ask, the auctioneer will buy you a bar drink instead of the champagne :D ! Different strokes... .

My husband enjoys going to the art auctions. He looks forward to it every cruise. And yes, he has bought a few items over the years and we have had them appraised. To date, we have not found our purchases were 'fakes' or worth 'less' than what we paid for them. However it wouldn't matter because he doesn't buy them for an investment but because he enjoys the art work.

We do the art auctions and actually make it as one of our priority events. We do collect art. We have spent enough with Park West to where we have been invited to a VIP event that was held at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach. Peter Max, Lebo, Fanch Ledan, and Autumn Deforest were in attendance. Park West shells out quite a bit of coin to hold these events and no pressure to buy atmosphere. There are good deals if you know what you are looking at at these art auctions. Some, not so much. A friend of ours was recently offered over 30K for a cruise art (Park West) Rembrant that was purchased for around 2K. You won't see any originals but all have a COA and Park West does a great job with the framing. I guess it makes sense however to start a thread based on personal opinion without any experience.

We bought some art on our honeymoon cruise on Fascination, and that artwork now hangs in our living room. We bought one of their sets that the auctioneer was advertising as one of their specials. Couldn't tell you whether or not if we got a good deal or got ripped off. All 5 prints were framed at Joann's using a 50% off coupon so we didn't use their framing service.

In the end, we don't regret our purchase since it was for a special occasion. However, we will not attend any art auctions on any of our future cruises and have not attended any in our previous cruises since our honeymoon cruise.

Ok so just getting off my 9th cruise and here's the big question I generated on this one:

Does anyone really buy the Park West art?

They put out so many flyers on it and frankly it is the one thing on a cruise that I have absolute 0 interest in and can't fathom anyone being excited to buy the art on a cruise.

Anyone?

Yes, surprisingly people do. I am not one of them but know some who have and at least one who borrowed money to do so.

There is a reason they give away free (cheap) champagne.

Caveat Emptor. Don't buy anything looking to make money (aka - an investment). Buy it if you like it, if you are happy with the price you paid, and if you won't be depressed if you find out you paid too much by the time it is delivered.

My sister and I went to one for a few minutes.

We had a good time laughing.

There were not many people there and they were pretending that someone in the back of the room was biding and buying.

But there was not anyone in the back of the room.:)

On another cruise a pretty girl who was a Park West whatever had flirted my son into wanting to go.

Then they acted ugly when we had not both signed in after there was no one at the sign in desk.

I have a very low opinion of Park West.

If you like it, then buy it if you want but as a decorative item.

How much would you pay for it at a furniture store or a home décor store?

Just like not comparing Inch of fake Gold to actual gold.

Edited by mzloolue

We bought some art on our last cruise- not because we are investors, but because we liked it and want to hang it in our home.

I did a little research when we got home, and what we paid was slightly below market value.

As far as "ugly art" goes, I don't get a lot of what is popular. (I don't care for Peter Max at all, for example, but it doesn't mean that someone else can't appreciate his work).

Don't like it, I suggest skipping the auctions. As others have stated, different strokes for different folks.

I have to laugh at the idea of Thomas Kincaid as art, it's paint by numbers, done in China.

Lol I just bought a Thomas Kincaid on a Disney cruise- not as an investment but because it is a really pretty Little Mermaid print I had been eyeing for years that goes perfectly in our home. It is not fine art but it works for us. It was the same price as it is where we live, but with the high tax rate in our county we came out a little ahead.

I KNOW!!!! It's a matter of personal taste, but I keep thinking - WHO likes this stuff??

The one picture that I've seen on a couple ships (Triumph and again on the Freedom) was this..weird owl thing. Like bizarre colors and it looked like something out of somebody's drunken nightmare. Not something you'd want to have hanging in your home unless you wanted to scare people.

I stopped by the art auction a couple of times on my Splendor cruise last year. Both times, the auction was PACKED and there were plenty of paintings with multiple bids going into the thousands. Also I have a friend that's bought a few art pieces on both of her cruises. Not my thing, but yes some people go and spend lots of money.

We've purchased 3/3 cruises, love the art auctions. Everyone has different tastes, which is why everyone isn't dancing in the club, or in the facial spa, or playing slots. I'm sure if they added an auto mechanic tool party, some people would show up there too.

I can tell you that we were pretty dumb on our first cruise, buying stuff with buyer's regret and not paying attention to shipping and framing cost. On our 2nd cruise, I told my wife, "Only if they have Andrew Bone for $100", well they did. On my third cruise, "Only if they are clearing out an Igor Medvedev display model for cheap", well they did. Mainly we buy Medvedev, and not without researching online, with most of our purchases going through ebay.

You have to treat Park West like a used car dealership, but that's not to say a deal can't be found.

I have bought Kincaid art on cruises before. Is was not bought as an investment but rather to put on my walls and to look at. And it looks rather nice on my walls.

We have, as have several who have cruised with us.

We can't figure out why people participate in the Hairy Chest contest, BINGO or get up in arms over past guest parties. :roll eyes:

Different strokes for different folks.

We have bought several Kincaides Disney and Shaffer/Miles on our 16 cruises. As others have stated, we bought them as remembrance of particular cruises and because we liked the particular piece. They all hang on our walls and we enjoy looking at them. On our last cruise we purchased a Norman Rockwell print "soldiers thru the ages". It brought tears to my eyes (son is a cadet at WP and plans on making military a career). Park West allows us access to pieces we probably wouldn't get elsewhere. BUT we are well aware of what we are getting.

Edited by bafinegan

The women with no faces bother me.

Have you seen them?

Somehow just unsettling.

I think I have.

I remember one night last cruise, coming back REAAAAAAALLLLLY late from the piano bar and I was really freaking exhausted (not drunk, as I don't drink a lot) and I passed some weird art on the way back to my cabin. I remember going, "Yeah, if I were drunk that would scare the **** out of me." LOL

Thanks for all the replies! I am surprised that it is as popular as it is. I just had trouble believing many people really had an interest in it, but like it has been said, different strokes!

Not for a second did I think anything was actually worth anything, LOL.

In 2000 on the Fantasy I purchased a litho of Maurice Richard signed in pencil.

Montreal Canadiens star player.

This was two weeks after he died, for $250.

One week later I received a check for $250, excuse was they could not sell this litho at this time.

Also my crazy sister has brought enough of this crap she got a free cruise.

We almost bought a group of prints of old Kentucky Derby posters. We looked the prices up online when we got home, and we found them for around the same price. We live in Kentucky, and the hubby is a huge fan of all things horses bad horse racing. We would have hung them with some of our other horse themed items.

As for the "champagne," it tasted terrible, and I didn't know what to do with the glass. So, I just threw it back and drunk it like a shot. Then, my hubby handed his to me. So, I did the same thing. Between the time spent out in the hot sun earlier and the Bonine I was taking, the bubbly went straight to my head. I can see how others could get easily carried away with bidding.

We've bought several pieces over the years, but none recently. We've run out of wall space for more artwork and the prices in recent years are not as attractive as they were years ago.

We bought some very pretty ocean prints for 99$. By the time it was all said and done, it cost over 300.00 with all the fees you have to pay. I had them frames at home for 400.00$...Probably will not do it again