Deck space where r u? Not on Spirit class.

mistyinca

So just got off the Miracle yesterday. Of all the ships I've been on, this is absolutely, without a doubt my least favorite ship. I have read that it is popular for being easy to navigate. I found exactly the opposite. I could not shake the turned around feeling. I have never had a problem with a new ship past the first day finding my way around. This was the worst.

But my least favorite part of it was the lack of open deck space. And the Lido was the most closed-in, claustrophobic lido ever.

Beyond that, I will say the crew was great, with the exception of the steak house. I found them rude and unaccomodating.

So I do hope the west coast gets a new ship at some point. I'm so not a fan.

Fwiw,

We'll be boarding her next week. From our perspective, she has a lot more open deck space than the Paradise so I think she'll be fine for us. Will write a review so will give our impression then. Curious what ships you're comparing her to.

Btw, any sign of "Seuss at a Sea?"

Can you give us any more details about what you liked?

We've sailed the Legend (Sister ship to the Miracle), the Liberty and the Inspiration.... out of the three classes of ships, we found the Spirit-class to be the easiest to navigate and also were able to find a lot of out of the way places to enjoy some quiet time.

Everyone has their personal opinions as far as likes and dislikes but the Spirit class ships do tend to be very popular in terms of the ratio of space to passengers.

I hope that you enjoyed your cruise despite the ship's layout issues.

:)

We've sailed on Spirit and Legend.

We enjoy the Spirit class.

This class of ship was designed to fit through the Panama Canal, so they are narrow and long on purpose.

Misty, you want confusing? Try any of the Princess ships out of San Pedro. The issues you had with the Spirit deck plan seem to multiply on those ships.

Understand why Carnival wants to replace the Miracle, to mix things up a bit, but why the Splendor? Could've sent a different ship.

Parking is going to be a PITA with those three in Long Beach. With the Miracle the parking is bad enough. Adding in another 1,000 pax (for the Splendor) and we'll be parking by the Catalina Express office.

We'll be boarding her next week. From our perspective, she has a lot more open deck space than the Paradise so I think she'll be fine for us. Will write a review so will give our impression then. Curious what ships you're comparing her to.

Btw, any sign of "Seuss at a Sea?"

Can you give us any more details about what you liked?

Actually, there is far more deck space on the Fantasy class of ships. I've been on Elation, Paradise, and Inspiration, and I'll take it over spirit class anyday!! They have a very open Lido, and the promenade and atrium are also much more "open" with more light.

Misty, you want confusing? Try any of the Princess ships out of San Pedro. The issues you had with the Spirit deck plan seem to multiply on those ships.

Understand why Carnival wants to replace the Miracle, to mix things up a bit, but why the Splendor? Could've sent a different ship.

Parking is going to be a PITA with those three in Long Beach. With the Miracle the parking is bad enough. Adding in another 1,000 pax (for the Splendor) and we'll be parking by the Catalina Express office.

I don't recall parking being bad when the Splendor was there before.

BTW, where in Ontario are you? We lived there for about 10 years on the border of Chino. Between Woodcrest Junior High and the Chino Auction, just east of Campus.

I don't recall parking being bad when the Splendor was there before.

When the Splendor was here, only the Inspiration/Paradise were also there. Now there are 2 ships, plus the Miracle. Since most people are locals for the shorter cruises, most of the parking garage is filled. When we did a Miracle cruise in April, we decided to drive (rather than take the Blue Line) and ended up parking up on the roof (we got to the port at about 11:30). When we disembarked, there were a lot of cars in the overflow lot in front of the Queen Mary.

I, too, love the Spirit class ships.

I don't hang around the Lido pool area, but isn't there a pool cover there? Yet it isn't nearly as claustrophobic-feeling as that area on Splendor.

And the huge Serenity Deck aft is great. No noise pollution from the stupid, loud, big TV like on Conquest class.

I love the layout. I'd sail that sort of ship every time if I could.

So just got off the Miracle yesterday. Of all the ships I've been on, this is absolutely, without a doubt my least favorite ship. I have read that it is popular for being easy to navigate. I found exactly the opposite. I could not shake the turned around feeling. I have never had a problem with a new ship past the first day finding my way around. This was the worst.

But my least favorite part of it was the lack of open deck space. And the Lido was the most closed-in, claustrophobic lido ever.

Beyond that, I will say the crew was great, with the exception of the steak house. I found them rude and unaccomodating.

So I do hope the west coast gets a new ship at some point. I'm so not a fan.

Fwiw,

Were we on the same Carnival Miracle? We sailed her in 2009 and she's still my favorite ship, followed by Legend and Pride.

Did you not make it all the way aft to Serenity deck? The whole back deck is wide open to the sun, the breeze, and sound of the ocean. We practically lived back there on the three ships, even though Serenity wasn't on Miracle yet.

As far as feeling turned around, I have to agree with you. Every time we got to the bottom of a staircase, we turned the wrong way. They felt backwards. But we laughed every time too, because we were on a cruise, and not at home.

Did you not make it all the way aft to Serenity deck? The whole back deck is wide open to the sun, the breeze, and sound of the ocean.

I did. That was really the only open place on the ship.

Were we on the same Carnival Miracle? We sailed her in 2009 and she's still my favorite ship, followed by Legend and Pride.

Did you not make it all the way aft to Serenity deck? The whole back deck is wide open to the sun, the breeze, and sound of the ocean. We practically lived back there on the three ships, even though Serenity wasn't on Miracle yet.

As far as feeling turned around, I have to agree with you. Every time we got to the bottom of a staircase, we turned the wrong way. They felt backwards. But we laughed every time too, because we were on a cruise, and not at home.

Totally agree...been on her 6x, and Pride 1x (+1 in 305 days). LOVE the layout, the crew, and the ratio of space to passengers...not too crowded !

Really hoping that she is coming back to somewhere in the East (maybe Tampa). Would book her again in a heartbeat.

Edited by K&P Luv2Cruise

I did. That was really the only open place on the ship.

Deck 10 has chairs all the way around, totally open to the sun, and Deck 11 has an area in front of and behind the Funnel...how much more open were you looking for ?

Looking at pictures of the Fantasy class ships, I would almost feel claustrophobic on the Lido.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we each have our own favourites. My opinion just doesn't agree with yours. :)

Happy Sailing.

Just got off the PRIDE on Sunday...no complaints at all about a lack of deck space. Plenty of deck chairs and the open decks were never crowded. In fact, most of the time the open decks seemed almost deserted. I'll take her flat, open decks over the silly, tiered stadium seating on the Destiny and Conquest Class any day.