Statendem and Ryndam cabin fridges

orion_jb2001

Greetings from down under :),

can someone confirm who may have sailed on these ships or have knowledge of the same, confirm that all cabins on board have some sort of a cabin fridge, even if only a bar type fridge. I have just read that their new owners P&O have stated some of the cabins will not have fridges in them. Why would you pull out an asset from a cabin???????

Jeff:confused:

Just done some digging, apparently with HAL, the interior and Oceanview cabins do not have a fridge, a bucket service instead, but all the balcony cabins and above do at least have a mini bar fridge. If someone can confirm this???

Jeff

There were never fridges in those cabins. And the fridges in the balcony cabins were more like electric coolers than actual refrigerators.

It's not really common for hotel accommodation to have refrigerators in the US like there are in Australian hotels. Most hotels offer an ice machine and an ice bucket. The cabins on those ships had an ice bucket which was filled twice daily or on request.

Indeed we didnot have a fridge on Ryndam outside cabin. However if needed we could rent one. As far as I remember it was the same on Statendam.

On the Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam, Veendam, Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, only the balcony and above cabins were built with mini refrigerators (coolers) in them.

You can rent a mini refrigerator for $2 a day by calling Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576.

I don't know if P&O will offer that rental service when they take over the Statendam and Ryndam.

We have sailed twice on the Maasdam in interior cabins and no, there is no fridge in the cabin. We did arrange before hand to rent a fridge for the duration of the cruise and it was indeed $2.00 per day. It was worth it to us so that we would keep our beverages nice and cold.

I have not heard of p&o renting fridges as most of their cabins run fridges so a lot of their customers are surprised about this tiny burried information about the fridge status of these 2 ships.

I'm surprised about that. I wonder how much drain on the energy resources that is for the ship. It must take a ton of power.

My husband is an Australian and was quite surprised at first that there are not routinely fridges in US hotel rooms, but he has really come around to the idea, if only for the power savings.

But also, as he explained, there are no tea/coffee facilities in the cabins, so there is not the need to keep milk refrigerated. He was just commenting last night that he would be appalled in an Australian hotel if he had to walk 8 flights of stairs for a cuppa the way he did with pleasure on the ship.

If the Australians cruising on P&O are used to fridges in the cabins, they will be surprised, but I don't really think they'll be all that inconvenienced. It's really not that big a deal. Tea, coffee, and all the accouterments are available 24/7 in the Lido and I doubt it will be any different once the ships are in the P&O fleet.

When P&O takes over the Statendam and Ryndam and renovate everything, maybe they will have mini refrigerators in all cabins.

Possibly but then again, I think the PR blurb has got it wrong and the balcony cabins and above will retain their fridges, but not below for lesser decks. It would be a big job to fit fridges in cabins that aren't currently designed to have them..I am not sure how much of a referb these ships will be getting. The Aria finishes her last cruise for HAL on the 31st October in Singapore and the Aria is due in Sydney Harbour on the 25th November for P&O's grand welcome, of the Eden (who is about 10days ahead of Aria in refit schedule) and Aria and all other P&O ships will be in Sydney Harbour on the same day. That leaves only about 2 weeks for any work, to get Aria to Sydney on time. :)

Jeff

It would be a big job to fit fridges in cabins that aren't currently designed to have them..

Maybe. Maybe not.

Many, if not most, of the inside cabins have a love seat with an end table. That table has a lamp on it, and that lamp is plugged in some where behind it. (I've never tried moving the furniture to check the set-up). It may be hard-wired into the wall.

If the end table were removed, a fridge could fit in that space easily, with power right there. A light fixture could be added to the wall.

I don't know if the outside cabins have a similar set-up, or a full couch with no end table. I know at least some of the insides have a full couch as they are triples, and that is the bed. Those cabins don't have an end table to remove.

Are the coolers on the Ryndam cold enough to keep insulin in

Probably not. Some are a bit cooler than others, but I wouldn't chance it. I would ask in the Infirmary, as they can store it under refrigeration.

Regarding insulin -check with your Pharmacist (not physician in this case)about the cooling requirements for your specific insulin. The "times they are a changing".

Today some insulins can be kept at room temperature for a certain number of days once you start using a vial or per-loaded pen. A number of them now can be at room temperature from something like 25 - 40ish days. For some it may still be zero days - so check.

For most cruisers with insulin types that can be left out for say 25 days - that is sufficient. IF you cruise is longer, take an extra vial or pen and put it in the Infirmary until needed.

To go to the infirmary every day to use your insulin is not very practical since their hours are limited - but it is doable.

If you insulin cannot go without refrigeration - ask your Pharmacist what temperature is acceptiable for storage - explaining you can get a cooler but not a true refrigerator. Also, how long you are talking about. I would suspect that he/she will have suggestions about alternatives for storage and/or your trip.

As a last resort if constant cold is necessary - take a heavier plastic bag (like zip-lock), and several times a day put ice in the bag and your insulin in another plastic bag into the ice. The cooler should allow the ice to melt slowly so that if you change the ice several time a day it should stay cold enough. Again - check with your Pharmacist. If your Pharmacist cannot help you with this information, maybe you need to find another Pharmacist.

Again, if all else fails - go to the infirmary daily assuming the hours will meet your insulin injection needs.

• 6 months later...

We traveled on the Ryndam several years in an outside cabin and were very surprised to find no mini fridge as they are pretty much standard in all cabin categories on modern ships. We rented a bulky stand alone fridge. After tripping over the lengthy extension cord several times we eventually figured out that the fridge was not cooling anything (despite making an annoying loud humming sound). We ended up putting my wife's insulin in the ice bucket. We have not traveled on HAL since.