Change of C&A tier - impact on existing bookings?

I just changed tier in C&A, and had half assumed that I'd get the additional balcony discount on an existing booking. Mailed my travel agent, and got back the message:

"You will not get an additional reduction because of your new club status. Your club number is already registered in your booking."

I thought I had heard of people getting the additional discount if they changed tier before final payment - is that another thing only for US customers, or did I just imagine it?

I have not been in exact the same situation, however I would assume that you will get the benefits including balcony discount if changing tier before the cruise.

Personally I would contact RCCL office for clarification.

I just changed tier in C&A, and had half assumed that I'd get the additional balcony discount on an existing booking. Mailed my travel agent, and got back the message:

"You will not get an additional reduction because of your new club status. Your club number is already registered in your booking."

I thought I had heard of people getting the additional discount if they changed tier before final payment - is that another thing only for US customers, or did I just imagine it?

Nope. Even in the U.S., if you change tiers you would have to reprice the booking in order to get the bigger discount. I was Emerald when I booked my New England/Canada cruise. I am now Diamond. In order to get the extra balcony discount, I'd have to pay about $2500 more in cruise fare :rolleyes:

I guess it works out if the fare has gone down since you booked, but in my case it was the opposite.

Nope. Even in the U.S., if you change tiers you would have to reprice the booking in order to get the bigger discount. I was Emerald when I booked my New England/Canada cruise. I am now Diamond. In order to get the extra balcony discount, I'd have to pay about $2500 more in cruise fare :rolleyes:

I guess it works out if the fare has gone down since you booked, but in my case it was the opposite.

Sorry it didn't used to work this way...however it does now...and think the change is another downgrade for the loyal cruiser's. :(

Thanks Karen - just wanted to make sure. Took a quick look at the current price, and it wouldn't be worth changing :)
I contacted Royal too after changing tiers. The additional cruise price was far more than the discount I would get.

The policy on getting the additional discount for next level changed awhile back - can't remember how long ago. I know we were able to get the additional discount applied to our existing booking when we became D+ a few years ago. According to recent postings, though, now they will only apply the new discount to TODAY's price when you call, not on the price when you booked. ANY change to your reservation these days seems to generate new pricing.

Now it would only be worth it if prices were lower today than when you booked, and of course most people would see about getting that price drop as well if that were the case! In general, seems like prices don't seem to drop much anymore, and even if they do there are all kinds of restrictions attached.:(

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

How does this work if you change status while onboard, and book a next cruise onboard, can you get the discount, or do you need to wait till after your done with your cruise?

We attained diamond on the last day of our Freedom cruise last December. The LA booked my next cruise on the second day and processed it with the Diamond discount. Like all things Royal I am sure that this will vary by ship and LA.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We attained diamond on the last day of our Freedom cruise last December. The LA booked my next cruise on the second day and processed it with the Diamond discount. Like all things Royal I am sure that this will vary by ship and LA.

Thanks. We attain Platinum on our upcoming Freedom cruise, and may book another cruise while onboard and was not sure whether or not to ask for the discount. It never hurts to ask.

Thanks. We attain Platinum on our upcoming Freedom cruise, and may book another cruise while onboard and was not sure whether or not to ask for the discount. It never hurts to ask.

I'd definitely ask, but technically your points (and therefore status change) aren't applied until after you've left the ship. So if you board a 7 day trip with 28 points, you don't really turn Platinum on day 2 - according to the T&Cs you only get the points within 2 weeks of the completion of the full cruise. But hopefully the LA will see sense!

I'd definitely ask, but technically your points (and therefore status change) aren't applied until after you've left the ship. So if you board a 7 day trip with 28 points, you don't really turn Platinum on day 2 - according to the T&Cs you only get the points within 2 weeks of the completion of the full cruise. But hopefully the LA will see sense!

Yeah. That's why I was wondering if I should ask or not. I guess the approach is to ask but not expect [emoji1]