Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Our guide's final warning was about someone from Poland recently sliding down the cliff's edge and having to wait a day or two for rescue because of bad weather . It required a helicopter to remove him . :eek:

Goodness, I suppose they were just lucky to be alive.:D

Another view of the lighthouse

IMG_6642_zpsmpvbkp1g.jpg

The other side of the monument

IMG_6645_zpsxsivwnuc.jpg

There was another side to view !

IMG_6646_zpsuqh7u8dl.jpg

Oh how I wanted to go further ! But this was my turnaround point .

IMG_6652-001_zpseprji4te.jpg

Jogging back to the van , time for one last photo . What a beautiful place ! ;)

IMG_6657_zpswrppyzeq.jpg

I sure it will, perhaps that (pub visits) is why they ended up down the bottom in the first place.:eek:

DW refreshed my memory that it was a couple taking a selfie that backed over the edge of the cliff and died while their children watched !! Here's the story :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2721975/Couple-plunged-death-cliff-young-children-tried-selfie.html

Edited by scubacruiserx2

DW refreshed my memory that it was a couple taking a selfie that backed over the edge of the cliff and died while their children watched !! Here's the story :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2721975/Couple-plunged-death-cliff-young-children-tried-selfie.html

Good grief, how tragic for them and the family. Not setting a good example to their kids either by jumping safety barriers although the kids will now know why they have safety barriers. A very hard lesson to learn for them.:(

Good grief, how tragic for them and the family. Not setting a good example to their kids either by jumping safety barriers although the kids will now know why they have safety barriers. A very hard lesson to learn for them.:(

Yeah , it's hard, and kids at that age do what their parents do , and what they see others doing . At least the lady with 2 kids in the one photo had a grip on her girls hands .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

And then was time to leave the beautiful cliffs and move on . We went inland and higher in elevation , into some woods making some short stops on the way . I love these bell shaped flowers but have no idea of what they are .

IMG_6665_zpsuxuwhes3.jpg

I think that we were Sintra and there seemed to be a number of castle like structures in the area .

IMG_6675_zpsnl8opbbi.jpg

We then stopped at the Seteais Palace where they were having a wedding .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seteais_Palace

It was just finishing as we arrived and time for photos .

IMG_6689_zpsag22b2m8.jpg

It has a commanding view of the city below

IMG_6679_zpswjanwhhk.jpg

And through the arch , you can see the Castle in the distance

IMG_5050_zpscqbg4mrg.jpg

The Pena National Palace

IMG_5049_zps6vevwk2g.jpg

It has a interesting history and is a UNESCO World Heritage site .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pena_National_Palace

I believe your flowers are foxgloves :)

Thanks , never seen them before .

Yes definitely foxgloves and very poisonous - they contain digitallis which is used to make the heart medicine digitallin. Definitely a case of look and admire but don't touch.

Thanks , for the warning . :eek:

And then was time to leave the beautiful cliffs and move on . We went inland and higher in elevation , into some woods making some short stops on the way . I love these bell shaped flowers but have no idea of what they are .

IMG_6665_zpsuxuwhes3.jpg

I think that we were Sintra and there seemed to be a number of castle like structures in the area .

IMG_6675_zpsnl8opbbi.jpg

We then stopped at the Seteais Palace where they were having a wedding .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seteais_Palace

It was just finishing as we arrived and time for photos .

IMG_6689_zpsag22b2m8.jpg

It has a commanding view of the city below

IMG_6679_zpswjanwhhk.jpg

And through the arch , you can see the Castle in the distance

IMG_5050_zpscqbg4mrg.jpg

The Pena National Palace

IMG_5049_zps6vevwk2g.jpg

It has a interesting history and is a UNESCO World Heritage site .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pena_National_Palace

Again beautiful photos.

The flowers are foxgloves. They are beautiful but as others have said they are poisonous. Mind you I have two in my back garden one is the same colour as your photo and the other white with purple dots inside. We don't have young children or animals.

One last shot of another "castle" like home .

IMG_6698_zpsubydqamf.jpg

Next stop was a small village . It was interesting to see how the roofs were constructed .

IMG_6712_zpsp7xqcznx.jpg

The village

IMG_6716_zpswxqsaiep.jpg

The wedding party was there and nice enough to let me take a photo . You can see the tile exterior on the restaurant behind them .

IMG_6728_zpsg2487qe1.jpg

Walking up a narrow street is where we found the tile store .

IMG_6734_zpsu8jtfebt.jpg

IMG_6731_zpscgunaljb.jpg

Some wonderful pics again, the foxgloves are beautiful. We had some but I got rid of them when we got a dog and have not replaced them again since he departed.

Thanks Mic . I guess they are a cooler weather flower that we don't have here in Florida . But we have some of our own deadly flowers and plants . It's funny that you mentioned your dog , because lately we've been thinking about replacing our deceased dogs , but not until after we return from our next TA .

Thanks Mic . I guess they are a cooler weather flower that we don't have here in Florida . But we have some of our own deadly flowers and plants . It's funny that you mentioned your dog , because lately we've been thinking about replacing our deceased dogs , but not until after we return from our next TA .

Yes, I miss him terribly and would love to have another dog (companion) but the selfishness in me thinks it is so easy to travel without worrying who will look after our pet when we are away for so long. A house sitter can feed them but it is not the same as having a companion there.:D

After our village stop near Sintra , we returned to Lisbon and made final photo stop above the city .

IMG_6759_zpsqu8sbdso.jpg

Facing the other way lead to an overview of the city and river

IMG_6749_zpsski27dk3.jpg

IMG_5055_zpstiupjtvc.jpg

We circled the city for a little before rebounding the ship .

IMG_6762_zpsdg6vmc6s.jpg

And said our goodbye to another great day and the port of Lisbon .

IMG_6770_zpsdega4rco.jpg

Next up was a day at sea before visiting Bilbao , Spain .

After our village stop near Sintra , we returned to Lisbon and made final photo stop above the city .

IMG_6762_zpsdg6vmc6s.jpg

And said our goodbye to another great day and the port of Lisbon .

Ahhhhh....Ihat line upon returning.....to be outdone only by the one in Bilbao....pictures are wonderful....thanks for recapping the day in Lisbon again...

PS.....we thought we could do without pets in the house....we were wrong...now we have them again and have someone come and take care of them when we travel.....they are happy that way, so maybe the answer is to get two, that way they keep each other company while you wander around the world...:D

Ahhhhh....Ihat line upon returning.....to be outdone only by the one in Bilbao....pictures are wonderful....thanks for recapping the day in Lisbon again...

PS.....we thought we could do without pets in the house....we were wrong...now we have them again and have someone come and take care of them when we travel.....they are happy that way, so maybe the answer is to get two, that way they keep each other company while you wander around the world...:D

Thanks again for setting up the tour , we're really glad that we got to go and get to know you guys better . Our last dogs were sisters from the same litter and it funny how they were so different . Kinda reminds us of our daughters in that respect ( but different litters , of course ) ! ;)

Our last dogs were sisters from the same litter and it funny how they were so different . Kinda reminds us of our daughters in that respect ( but different litters , of course ) ! ;)

I have thought of that, and it has numerous advantages as it means both my wife and I have one each, although it is more likely one of us will have both.

Wow, I was going to comment on how beautiful the cliffs were and then the next set of pictures with the castles are just as beautiful!

I feel the urge to travel!!! ;)

That's a great thing about a TA to Europe , you get to cover a lot of ground , and experience different cultures , food and scenery . :):D