Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Since we're counting down...13 days till I am on water!

It looks like a lot of homeless here in this city. That's so sad.

Your pictures are amazing though. What great views!

Splash Mtn. doesn't look too exciting...and if I had to go in a toilet like that.....well I would be pretty bound up because there is no way I could go. hahaha

Since we're counting down...13 days till I am on water!

It looks like a lot of homeless here in this city. That's so sad.

Your pictures are amazing though. What great views!

Splash Mtn. doesn't look too exciting...and if I had to go in a toilet like that.....well I would be pretty bound up because there is no way I could go. hahaha

Have a great time on your cruise and we hope that there will be a review and photos ! Those were the only homeless people that we saw , and with a million people in the area - we really were not surprised . But I was surprised that someone could sleep upright holding a cup . When I asked my wife about her bathroom experience in Bilbao yesterday , she said that there was a commode on the floor in the ladies room - but that was less than a foot tall !

Guggenheim close up

IMG_5171_zpst2idk6zu.jpg

Back up top , the smell of grass and flowers was in the air . And after all , it was Spring !

IMG_7166_zpsasdwygws.jpg

I loved these flowers . My wife said that they were chestnuts .

IMG_5185_zpsgxmp4o8w.jpg

The big fingerprint in the sky

IMG_7182_zpswli2smuq.jpg

was really just some art

43dfc8f8-db56-4086-9666-1c7d90d286ce_zpsrfbc1cyc.jpg

a steep incline .

IMG_7183_zpssrntnyap.jpg

One of the interesting things about Bilbao and the surrounding area was the fact that nearly every building we saw, and I believe EVERY residential building we saw had built in hurricane shutters...no matter whether the building was new or old. We asked our guide about it (being from Florida...it IS something you notice) and she confirmed they were storm shutters, they are a standard part of any construction there and they serve the "dual purpose" of being an obstacle to a would be burglar if the residents are away on holiday. I think perhaps they are smarter than we are when it comes to protecting our homes......:)

One of the interesting things about Bilbao and the surrounding area was the fact that nearly every building we saw, and I believe EVERY residential building we saw had built in hurricane shutters...no matter whether the building was new or old. We asked our guide about it (being from Florida...it IS something you notice) and she confirmed they were storm shutters, they are a standard part of any construction there and they serve the "dual purpose" of being an obstacle to a would be burglar if the residents are away on holiday. I think perhaps they are smarter than we are when it comes to protecting our homes......:)

That's for sure . We just returned from Cozumel and the new buildings have poured concrete roofs , with barrel tile on top of that . Many homes have tall walls with broken glass embedded on top and Bougainvillea trees along the wall to discourage climbers . But here in the U. S. , you would probably be sued if an innocent climber cut themselves on the top of your 10 ' high fence . :rolleyes:

After our descent on the funicular , We crossed the Nervion River on the Zubizuri Bridge ( Basque " white bridge " ) , which is a foot bridge .

IMG_7200_zpswza281ej.jpg

IMG_7198_zpsoytqttbk.jpg

From here it's just a short walk to the next bridge and the Guggenheim Museum .

IMG_7217_zpsx2jwfulv.jpg

IMG_7215_zpsyrzse1de.jpg

The next piece of art is Maman , which reminded me of the Martian fighting machines in the War of the Worlds .

IMG_7220-001_zpsb5ko76lm.jpg

But the artist said that it dedicated to her mother :

The Spider is an ode to my mother. She was my best friend. Like a spider, my mother was a weaver. My family was in the business of tapestry restoration, and my mother was in charge of the workshop. Like spiders, my mother was very clever. Spiders are friendly presences that eat mosquitoes. We know that mosquitoes spread diseases and are therefore unwanted. So, spiders are helpful and protective, just like my mother.

— Louise Bourgeois[4]

We could see that it is a popular photo spot and it inspires people . This guy was doing a spider dance for the photographer . I should have went to the video mode as it was pretty funny .

IMG_7219-001_zpshrfgn9sl.jpg

That's for sure . We just returned from Cozumel and the new buildings have poured concrete roofs , with barrel tile on top of that . Many homes have tall walls with broken glass embedded on top and Bougainvillea trees along the wall to discourage climbers . But here in the U. S. , you would probably be sued if an innocent climber cut themselves on the top of your 10 ' high fence . :rolleyes:

"innocent climber" Ha!!! How true that is......:)

"innocent climber" Ha!!! How true that is......:)

A view of where we stayed in Cozumel

DSC03905_zpsn0cqwnla.jpg

In the foreground , "our" bougainvillea fence . Across the street the glass spiked wall and barbwire fence topper . :eek:

DSC03909_zps4u3jic34.jpg

The lower roof poured and a tie beam being constructed . Poured concrete exterior walls . This is the way to build houses in a hurricane zone , Florida . :p

DSC03928_zpsk9g7ndvb.jpg

A view of where we stayed in Cozumel

DSC03905_zpsn0cqwnla.jpg

In the foreground , "our" bougainvillea fence . Across the street the glass spiked wall and barbwire fence topper .

DSC03909_zps4u3jic34.jpg

The lower roof poured and a tie beam being constructed . Poured concrete exterior walls . This is the way to build houses in a hurricane zone , Florida . :p

DSC03928_zpsk9g7ndvb.jpg

I've never seen anything like the "glass spiked wall barbwire" but I bet it's a fairly good detterent!!!:eek:

And YES that is the way homes should be build in a hurricane zone.....too bad we don't do it that way here.....:rolleyes:

Interesting, I suppose the roof tiles may blow off but no damage to the structure.

Yeah they made it thru a major hurricane the same year as Katrina , when a Category 5 hurricane , Wilma , parked on top of the Yucatan Peninsula for 36 hours ! . A much smaller Wilma struck our house later , but we had evacuated to Michigan when we saw what it had done to Cozumel . :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Wilma

Broken glass on top of walls is used all over the world, Africa, South America and even here in Australia in some of the older areas it can still be found.

Violent crime is not a problem in Cozumel , but theft happens , and like in the aftermath of a hurricane , they deal with the situation directly and don't wait for the government to help like we do here in the U.S. ;)

Violent crime is not a problem in Cozumel , but theft happens , and like in the aftermath of a hurricane , they deal with the situation directly and don't wait for the government to help like we do here in the U.S. ;)

You would mainly see on the compound walls behind the local corner shops, obviously lots of stock not locked up sufficiently in the past.

I'm still enjoying your wonderful photos. It almost feels like I'm on tour with you.

Thanks Nancy , we're glad that you're still with us and didn't Floataway like some people did ! :rolleyes: That's the main purpose of this travelogue - to take people along with us on a cruise ( and for some people , to remember their cruise ) . Hopefully , we can finish this port today . :) :D

Yeah they made it thru a major hurricane the same year as Katrina , when a Category 5 hurricane , Wilma , parked on top of the Yucatan Peninsula for 36 hours ! . A much smaller Wilma struck our house later , but we had evacuated to Michigan when we saw what it had done to Cozumel

That's the year we were on our first TA. It was said that the Captain left the ship to fly back to Miam to deal with the storm damage to his house. Whoever was stearing the ship did an excellent job avoiding Wilma mid Atlantic, but we had extra sea days, due to Key West being flooded. Many passengers should have been attending a Haloween convention in Key West. The ship put on a wonderful celebration instead.

Edited by upwarduk

That's the year we were on our first TA. It was said that the Captain left the ship to fly back to Miam to deal with the storm damage to his house. Whoever was stearing the ship did an excellent job avoiding Wilma mid Atlantic, but we had extra sea days, due to Key West being flooded. Many passengers should have been attending a Haloween convention in Key West. The ship put on a wonderful celebration instead.

That must have been some roller coaster ride ! :eek: Our next TA occurs during hurricane season in the North Sea , so we do have some reservations . In any event , we hope that you have a great trip on the Eclipse ! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Next is the sculpture Reflectorama .

IMG_7239_zpszco2ahkq.jpg

Looking at a telephoto shot of it gave us a bright idea

IMG_5188-002_zpsulthdvue.jpg

Why not use it as a selfie ball ?

IMG_5188_zpskk46bkzd.jpg

But the real photograph that I had wanted to take was on the other side of the building , out of sight . Puppy by Jeff Koons .

Jeff-Koons-Puppy-486x500_zpsoo8gia40.jpg

http://www.guggenheim-bilbao.es/en/works/puppy-3/

And now , it was only a few steps away .

IMG_7241_zpslyxxgbmx.jpg

Unfortunately , it's coat was being groomed .

IMG_7247_zps6yxk8o6u.jpg