Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Worst seas we have had was leaving Bilbao on a TA on Infinity in Oct 2013. Apparently there were discussions about staying in Port, but Miami deemed it too dangerous ( the ship would have been battered against the sea wall) those were 40ft waves, far, far worse than the after math of Wilma, which we somehow skirted around.

We were in a FV at the stern of the ship- never will do it again, even though it was spacious. Back to mid- ships on Eclipse on Saturday.:)

Worst seas we have had was leaving Bilbao on a TA on Infinity in Oct 2013. Apparently there were discussions about staying in Port, but Miami deemed it too dangerous ( the ship would have been battered against the sea wall) those were 40ft waves, far, far worse than the after math of Wilma, which we somehow skirted around.

We were in a FV at the stern of the ship- never will do it again, even though it was spacious. Back to mid- ships on Eclipse on Saturday.:)

The largest seas of our recent TA were after leaving Bilbao also , but a more manageable 15 ft . Additionally , The S Class is more seaworthy than the M Class where we had an FV cabin on our previous TA . Our next TA is in a Princess Grand Class Ship , which is more like the Infinity , so we booked mid - ship starboard with the hope of seeing the Northern Lights while in Iceland :) :D

The largest seas of our recent TA were after leaving Bilbao also , but a more manageable 15 ft . Additionally , The S Class is more seaworthy than the M Class where we had an FV cabin on our previous TA . Our next TA is in a Princess Grand Class Ship , which is more like the Infinity , so we booked mid - ship starboard with the hope of seeing the Northern Lights while in Iceland :) :D

I knew the seas were rougher as we left Bilbao and through that evening but had no idea they were at 15 feet!! We were up on deck 11 so looking down they just didn't seem that high!!! Wish we were joining you guys to see the Northern Lights!!!:)

I knew the seas were rougher as we left Bilbao and through that evening but had no idea they were at 15 feet!! We were up on deck 11 so looking down they just didn't seem that high!!! Wish we were joining you guys to see the Northern Lights!!!:)

I believe that it was the next day ( after leaving Bilbao ) in the Bay of Biscay near Brest before we turned East toward the English Channel . I'll check my log . As I recall , I didn't think that it was that high , because the ship handled it so well . There's no guarantee on the Northern Lights as they begin in September and we have 3 days scheduled for Iceland , near the Arctic Circle . It will be the farthest North that we've ever been , so we're hoping for a sighting . P. S There's still cabins on the ship !! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We wanted to break for lunch and we had found a restaurant on tripadvisor that we wanted to try .

IMG_7251_zpsmlh53ykj.jpg

IMG_7253_zpssavwjywn.jpg

Our watches said lunch , the menu said breakfast , and our multicultural stomachs said "feed me" , so we were up for the task .

IMG_7250_zps25n6qmvi.jpg

The available sandwiches were on the counter top and our choice was soon on our table . Some of that yummy ham on the left and egg on the right . He said that he could make us a breakfast omelet , so we ordered one of those .

L1120051_zpsvyla3yjx.jpg

And the winner is : :D

L1120052_zpsnpj2pkbl.jpg

I believe that it was the next day ( after leaving Bilbao ) in the Bay of Biscay near Brest before we turned East toward the English Channel . I'll check my log . As I recall , I didn't think that it was that high , because the ship handled it so well . There's no guarantee on the Northern Lights as they begin in September and we have 3 days scheduled for Iceland , near the Arctic Circle . It will be the farthest North that we've ever been , so we're hoping for a sighting . P. S There's still cabins on the ship !! :) :D

ahhhh...wish we could...unfortunately work is not going to let me go romping around the globe again till next year.....:(

oh...and your lunch/brunch in Bilbao looks WONDERFUL!!!!!

Edited by Gracie115

Yes, we are starboard as well deck 12, mid to aft. Hoping the lights come out and say hello.:D

Yes, we are starboard as well deck 12, mid to aft. Hoping the lights come out and say hello.:D

We'll see ;)

That breakfast looked wonderful, I have just had mine and now I want a bacon & egg roll.:eek:

We usually eat light on a dive or shore excursion day , so it was a welcome brunch . We didn't think that lettuce and tomato would work with the egg , cheese and ham . But it was great !

We had a coughing , sneezer on our bus ride back to the port , which I don't mind - if they cover up . But he didn't . When we arrived at the port , there was a line to get on the ship . Not just any line , but a very special line reaching the length of the ship .

IMG_7278_zps4yguhu64.jpg

When we were getting in line , there was a very strong wind but we were able hide behind the ship , with the ship blocking the wind . Unfortunately , the people behind us were exposed to the crosswind . There was only 1 gangway with wheels at the bottom which articulated with the sway of the ship . Further complicating the loading process was the many wheel chairs bound people who needed to be lifted and carried up the gangway .

IMG_5191_zpsamdxwvvo.jpg

Fortunately , the wind and storm blew over and moved off .

IMG_7281_zpspeousnzj.jpg

And the line continued to grow .

IMG_7297_zps8rfemems.jpg

A funny thing happened to us while in line . A lady pushing another lady in a wheel chair moved to the head of the line . They then switched places and the pusher became the rider and was carried up the length of the gangway while all of the other passengers had to remain off of the gangway until the wheel chair bound person was safely loaded . Her friend was the next passenger , and walked up unassisted and normal loading resumed . So how does this make you feel ? Should wheelchair bound people go to the head of the line , or wait in line for their turn ?

I am still with you in the reliving camp. I got the Puppy in Bilbao at the museum but missed the Spider and "selfie" ball.

Boy that was some line at the port. Stood in the wind for good while until we got past the stern of the ship for protection. Had grit in my eye for the rest of the trip.Hopefully I never need a wheelchair so I will reserve judgement. We called for one for an incredibly stoic man in front of us. Luckily before he actually fell. You sould have seen the relief on his face.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Our waiter told us that night that he stood in that line for almost 2 hours....:eek: We were lucky we arrived back at the port just as it was beginning to form so we only had a short wait...but we watched the line grow from our room.....and grow....and grow....and grow:eek:

A truly sick person should be able to "skip the line" other than that...wait like all the rest of us.....

Wow, I have only seen a line like that once (luckily) and that was on the Falklands (tender port). We went shopping while waiting for the tenders and the line to shorten.:D

As for people with wheel chairs (and walking sticks), they should be able to go to the front. If they fall or get ill, that will delay the ship even further. That said, ship's should get their act together so they have multiple screening areas which will move the lines much quicker.

Edited by MicCanberra

I am still with you in the reliving camp. I got the Puppy in Bilbao at the museum but missed the Spider and "selfie" ball.

Boy that was some line at the port. Stood in the wind for good while until we got past the stern of the ship for protection. Had grit in my eye for the rest of the trip.Hopefully I never need a wheelchair so I will reserve judgement. We called for one for an incredibly stoic man in front of us. Luckily before he actually fell. You sould have seen the relief on his face.

Denise

First of all , thank you for recognizing and coming to the aid of your fellow passenger . Especially after having sustained an injury yourself - well done . Your actions remind me of some of the dedicated and selfless people that I worked with in the Fire service . After incidents we would meet , critique and develop new strategies for for dealing with and more importantly , preventing the incidents or accidents . I wish that Celebrity would have moved the people exposed to the wind behind the ship , out of harms way . It may have prevented your ( and others ) injury , in the same way that you prevented the man from sustaining an injury . We hope that your eye is better !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Wind turbines everywhere, :D

If only our government would see the way of the future is renewable energies.:(

We have tides that change 4 times in our inlets and the Gulf Stream 1 mile from our shore . We would love to see hydroelectric with underwater turbines where we live .

http://www.ecopedia.com/energy/how-do-underwater-turbines-work/

First of all , thank you for recognizing and coming to the aid of your fellow passenger . Especially after having sustained an injury yourself - well done . Your actions remind me of some of the dedicated and selfless people that I worked with in the Fire service . After incidents we would meet , critique and develop new strategies for for dealing with and more importantly , preventing the incidents or accidents . I wish that Celebrity would have moved the people exposed to the wind behind the ship , out of harms way . It may have prevented your ( and others ) injury , in the same way that you prevented the man from sustaining an injury . We hope that your eye is better !

Thanks for your concern. After a few days of tearing my eye was fine. They tend toward dryness normally so I wasn't too bothered. I will try to remember to bring moisturizing drops on my next trip.

Denise

Thanks for your concern. After a few days of tearing my eye was fine. They tend toward dryness normally so I wasn't too bothered. I will try to remember to bring moisturizing drops on my next trip.

Denise

Glad it resolved itself eventually.:D

Denise

We're happy that it worked out well . We find that the more "experienced" that we get , the larger our OTC pharmacy in out suitcase grows ! ;)