Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

LOL, no I didn't Floataway. Actually, I wondered if you did because I haven't seen you there in a while. I was hoping you might show up there with some Cozumel dive pics instead of posting them here so this thread wouldn't Floataway like your CB thread did! :eek:

BTW, I do know you have this review to finish, and another TA to get ready for, so no pressure on the dive pics!

I still have no idea when our next trip will be, so I'm really enjoying my virtual cruise with you. I also second the vote to include your post cruise time in London and St Petersburg. :D

I'm sorry Nancy , can I explain on the other thread ? Thanks . ;)

I look forward to seeing the pictures from this port....if we are there again this is the option we would take also....but for our first time visit we choose a tour with Overlord Tours which took us to the beaches of Normandy and surrounding areas...it was amazing and moving and one of the highlights of our trip.

We are glad that you had a good tour . My father was in the Pacific during the war , so Normandy had little less attraction for us than for many of the people that were on our cruise .

We are glad that you had a good tour . My father was in the Pacific during the war , so Normandy had little less attraction for us than for many of the people that were on our cruise .

I'm sure Mont St. Michel was wonderful too though....and we debated about which to do ourselves.....looking forward to your pictures....expect we will visit when we book the next northern route TA .... hopefully B2B with one that does the Baltic into St. Petersburg....and then back again...

YES I AM DREAMING!!!!:):D:D

DSC03026-001_zpstwb5oepp.jpg

With a budget of $380 , we thought that we could find a semi private tour to Mt . St. Michael . We wound up doing a private tour with Radio Taxi and boy are we glad that we that we did ! We met our guide and driver , Jaime , at the appointed time and we all we could think was " is this car really for us ? "

IMG_7458_zpsq6rooj9c.jpg

Well it was ! :eek: We felt like kids in an eye candy store ! So with a 2-1/2 ride we got to know Jaime . He's a great guy will excellent English and people skills . Unlike a number of our previous contacts with some of the French , he likes Americans and has been to , and driven across much of the U. S. He had been in South Florida recently on vacation and knows the area where live . He also shared with us some of the history of Mt. St. Michel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

And before we knew it we were there ! We asked him if we could stop before we got there and here's our first glimpse :

IMG_7447_zpszzzfszzd.jpg

Switching to the telephoto camera to pull it in , across a rapeseed field .

IMG_5256_zpssm1asijf.jpg

Wheat and rapeseed fields shot with HDR .

IMG_5261_zpsi1rhqgtr.jpg

I'm sure Mont St. Michel was wonderful too though....and we debated about which to do ourselves.....looking forward to your pictures....expect we will visit when we book the next northern route TA .... hopefully B2B with one that does the Baltic into St. Petersburg....and then back again...

YES I AM DREAMING!!!!:):D:D

Why dream / Make it happen ! :) :D

After parking the car at the car park , we watched a brief video , used the rest rooms and with the sun at our back , began the walk along the causeway ( about a mile and a half ) to the monastery .

Car park

IMG_5267_zpszmatquqg.jpg

6a25c7cd-af30-4c2b-850b-8dcb3241bd87_zpsbyy2xyvb.jpg

They were working on causeway when we were there

IMG_7462_zpsqbxsvvcf.jpg

This looked like a school group . Much nicer than a classroom !

IMG_7466_zpsemmj20j5.jpg

The next 2 pictures show what cropping can do . It's the same exact photo with the second one cropped .

IMG_5286_zpswbvnf2pl.jpg

7d8e8661-f7cf-4c56-812e-db32218eca9f_zpsc3h2gb19.jpg

There were lots of places to stop for photos

IMG_5272_zpstyjcm76s.jpg

Or for playing in the mud

IMG_7474_zpstaecmog4.jpg

We had hoped for high tide to try to shoot it with a reflection across the water . This was about the best we could get at low tide .

IMG_5273_zpsidcw0vom.jpg

Before the cause way , it used to become an island during high tide .

IMG_5282_zpszlrgzfzo.jpg

This is one of my favorites because it looks natural .

IMG_5286-002_zpsayykclfk.jpg

It's so strange and nice to see Mont St Michel without its car parks at its base. I have been there many times, always thankfully out of high season, the last time in March 2009 when I was living in Brittany and I was there with my dogs and my American family who were visiting me.

My iPad is not allowing me to post a photo here so I've emailed it to you.

Edited by Pemcorgimum

I look forward to seeing the pictures from this port....if we are there again this is the option we would take also....but for our first time visit we choose a tour with Overlord Tours which took us to the beaches of Normandy and surrounding areas...it was amazing and moving and one of the highlights of our trip.

Glad you enjoyed your tour with Overlord. I told you you would, remember? It was definitely one of the best IMO.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Absolutely beautiful......:):)

Thanks Gracie !

Wonderful pics, you have not disappointed there. I love the way it just seems to climb out of the seascape.:D

We were blessed with great lighting . It looks like a volcano in the sea when seen distantly .

It's so strange and nice to see Mont St Michel without its car parks at its base. I have been there many times, always thankfully out of high season, the last time in March 2009 when I was living in Brittany and I was there with my dogs and my American family who were visiting me.

My iPad is not allowing me to post a photo here so I've emailed it to you.

We received the photo in the mail , thank you . :) :D

Thanks again for sharing this article . I remember seeing that story when it happened , before our Eclipse ! :eek:

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Laura shared this picture from 2009 and it's interesting to see how much it's changed .

image1_zps4nzdomyc.jpg

At that time there was a multi level car park very close . You now park further away , safe from the tide , and commute on their bus , walk or bike over the causeway .

They were building when we were there , but we're not sure what .

IMG_5298_zpsu779xkhm.jpg

IMG_5305_zpsdomvn4jr.jpg

This photo was actually taken very close , but the wide angle makes it look far away . It was taken to show the mud flats .

IMG_7147%20Stitch%20Bilbao%20Stitch-002_zpsi2c8qt9k.jpg

Beware of tide !

IMG_7513_zpsheyfdx1j.jpg

When we asked Jamie for a lunch recommendation , he didn't hesitate to recommend La Mere Poulard . This concurred with our previous information , so let's eat !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_M%C3%A8re_Poulard

As you enter the restaurant , you will see the kitchen and the open wood fire where omelettes are made in the original tradition from 1879 .

64ff5364-cbd8-4409-9e45-da4ba53bdbb2_zpsargfofsn.jpg

If you want to see the process , we found this video on internet :

After being greeted , seated and placing our order , there was time for photos .

IMG_7540_zpskbdmcvag.jpg

IMG_7526_zps4uy2r0ae.jpg

While we were successful in arriving before the crowd , there are no early bird prices . . In other words - it ain't cheap !!! :eek:

So let's dig in , shall we ?

IMG_7546-001_zpsxweu9m4o.jpg

Pour Madame :

Chef's terrine , rillette and foie gras

L1120073_zpsyytlsmh3.jpg

Salmon a la Normandy

L1120074_zpsurcwrj6y.jpg

Vanilla Creme Brulee

L1120075_zpsctylegvr.jpg

Pour Monsieur :

Normandy lobster soup

IMG_7536_zpsjrgrxdya.jpg