Breakaway vs. Gem

Red-Sol

Just off the May 17th Breakaway to Bermuda Cruise...and time to start planning the next one. This was our 2nd time on the Breakaway and I must admit we didn't enjoy it as much as the first. (really seemed crowded this time and there were some waiting issues along with what appeared to be a sizable cutback in staff that might have been the main problem)

We love cruising out of New York and are already looking at the Gem. (We have never been on the Gem) I would hope to hear from some of you who have cruised both and prefer the Gem and what your reasons are! Or even if you prefer the Breakaway what are your reasons for that.

Thanks!

I have been on both ships and prefer the Gem. I am cruising the Gem again in November and can't wait. I like the whole setup of the Gem better and just think it was a nicer ship. Breakaway was a beautiful ship but like you I found it crowded, I did not like the pool area at all except my daughter loved the slides and the ropes course. But I don't care about either of those. The Gem had a bigger variety of shows and all were free. There was always something going on. The only thing that really stands out to me from the Breakaway that we loved was the ice bar. But we had a group of 13 people and we all had a great time. If is was just the two of us it would have been nice to try once but not nearly as much fun. All in all the Gem is just my favorite NCL ship and the bonus is it sails from New York and we can still go to the Caribbean on her. I think you will love the Gem. Give her a try.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two myself if I'm able to do a cruise this summer.. I like both ships though.

Breakaway: h2o during the day. Great place to relax away from the main pool area is my number one. Get soaked by the waterfall if it's too hot to cool off...would wake up way too early to get in the hot tub and watch the sun rise! But if I bring the kids this doesn't really apply. Osheehans is great on the breakaway but not sure how it compares on the remake of the gem.. I'm not sure it could be the same due to the limited space the gem has where the blue lagoon/modernos was. The kids club. The shows on breakaway are good but I don't think I could sit through rock of ages again. Seeing once on Broadway and twice on the breakaway is enough for me. Then again I don't wAnt to see fountains again either.

Gem: the great outdoors. Eating breakfast or drinking coffee back there always makes the day! The shows I've seen on gem are great for the most part. The pool area is a better layout than the breakaway I think.

It's not so closed off like the breakaway. The spinnaker is great late night shows. I can't stand having to see shows on the breakaway in the atrium because there is not enough seating to actually see the show or activity that's going on.. Many times had to stand around. And it was often Lou's when eating in osheehans when something was going on.

They are both great ships

Preferred the Haven on the BA but the Haven room on the Gem was bigger and better

Like he Gem because it is a "smaller" ship then BA

Liked the BA because more things to do and places to dine

If I was sailing again I would pick BA as long as I was in the Haven

However, you can't go wrong with the gem

Sailed the Gem twice and BA once, would have to say for any one cruise I would prefer the smaller ship. My favorites are the Spirit and the Sun. I want to sail the BA again because we were with a large group and 7 days was not enough time to enjoy all of the venues. It did seem more crowded more often on the BA, but it did not really affect my enjoyment of the cruise. I enjoy sailing out of NYC, so these two are my choices, probably go by itinerary and time of year rather than by ship.

I sailed them both already and am going on the gem in a few weeks. They both have great pros and cons. I like that BA had a lot to do during the day and had great restaurants. However I enjoy having more show choices on the gem. I also rather having the smaller game show type shows in the spinnaker instead of the atrium.

Been on both and the Gem is our favorite. We love the crew and layout of the Gem, spinnakers lounge and the great outdoors, and miss them both while on the BA. Enjoy the shows on BA better, but how many times can you see ROA? Although the shows on the Gem could use changing around too, but if you haven't seen them....they are wonderful. TheGem offers a different show every night, with great lounge shows and events around the ship. The pool area on the BA is way way too small, as is the theater, atrium, and most common areas. Food equal on both ships. We do enjoy both ships, and have never had a bad cruise....some just better than others.

Safe sailing

I have been on both as well.

I agree with all the reasons people prefer the GEM over the Breakaway.

The smaller ship appeals to me as well as the Great Outdoors....the GEM is my favorite NCL ship.

Great Outdoors.....Nothing like having breakfast in the morning there! :)

I missed it so much on the Breakaway and my last cruise on the STAR.

If I had to choose one thing that was better on the Breakaway, it would be the Entertainment venue which I found a bit better than other NCL ships.

Don