QM2 Refit

owenmahamilton

Has anyone got any definite news as regards the refit of the QM2 and where this is taking place, I noted on the where is she today website that she is docking in Southampton for 2 weeks in November, is this where the refit is taking place? The reason I ask is I live about 5 miles from there and would love to be able to go and see her in dry dock before I sail on her for the 3rd time in 3 years next June

Mtbny,

I have heard the Kings Court will be expanded to fill the former Winter Garden area. Also, the Veuve Cliquot Champagne Bar will allegedly become a coffee bar.

I'm sure there will be several other changes as well. I look forward to seeing them first hand on January 3, 2006.

Cruiserking

Mtbny,

I have heard the Kings Court will be expanded to fill the former Winter Garden area. Also, the Veuve Cliquot Champagne Bar will allegedly become a coffee bar.

I'm sure there will be several other changes as well. I look forward to seeing them first hand on January 3, 2006.

Cruiserking

Ooh! That's sounds awful.......

Michael

I hope it is just a rumor that the Winter Garden will be demolished. My wife and I consider it to be one of the most beautiful and relaxing areas inside the Queen Mary 2. The ceiling is beautiful, the furniture is pleasant, and the waterfall is so relaxing.

When we board on December 8, we will be so sad to see that it is gone in order to provide more space to just chow down!

Terrence

On a recent QM2 transatlantic crossing, I heard that the Veuve Clicqot Champagne bar will stay but that Sir Samuel's Wine Bar may become a coffee bar. As for the Winter Garden, well, it was a forlorn place - used only for the dire Art Auctions and for the Cunard World Club party. Whatever happens in the refit, the whole Kings Court area needs to be redone - it is one of the worst self service food areas I have experienced on a ship: it is fragmented, chaotic and deeply frustrating.

mg17uk

QE2 (2002, 2003, 2004)

QM2 (2005)

Caronia (2003, 2004)

Marco Polo (2003, 2004, 2005)

Statendam (2004)

Millennium (2005)

When I first sailed on Cunard 26 years ago, 95% of the time, you ate THREE MEALS a day in the same restaurant, at the same table, and with the same waiters.

Ah, if only we could go back to CIVILIZATION!

I too, think that for the prices one pays to sail, the dining experience should not be downgraded to that of a high school cafeteria.

When I first sailed on Cunard 26 years ago, 95% of the time, you ate THREE MEALS a day in the same restaurant, at the same table, and with the same waiters.

I too, think that for the prices one pays to sail, the dining experience should not be downgraded to that of a high school cafeteria.

Its all about choices though. While most of the time I agree with you in terms of standardization of service, getting to know your waiter, etc. However by having different eating establishments passengers can maximize the choices in food selection. Of course it would take a bulky multi page menu to accomodate the diverse selection available today. Executed correctly of course.

Hull 736:

I'm with you ! Although I have yet to sail aboard QM2, onboard QE2 I basically refuse to eat in The Lido. I respect those that choose to eat there, if they are so inclined. As others have pointed out, these places, like The Lido and The King's Court, tend to remind one of a cafeteria.

Finally, as someone pointed out here previously on the CC Boards, for Americans, the inclusion of the word "court" brings to mind images of the ubiquitous "food court" found all over this country in local malls...not something that I'd like to associate with an elegant transatlantic liner.

Tom

While I agree that Kings Court is best left to the huddled masses, I do like to grab an ice cream and cookies there and take them outside to eat in a deck chair. The rooms could use some improvements to traffic flow and hopefully this will be accomplished. As for the winter garden, while it is a fine room, it does appear to be under utilized. I heard that it was for the afternoon tea, but this is so popular, that they now hold it in the larger queens room. I agree that the art auctions detract from the ambiance onboard. Pharisees in the temple! I do know, after having contacted Cunard, that the dog kennels will be refurbished and improved. There was some talk of them being removed (they do not appear in the 2006 brochure deck plan), but they are staying. Thank god for those of us who travel with our furry companions! I can now book my 2006 passage.

We have food courts in England as well, obviously imported from across the pond, and they do have their uses as ways to have a quick snack when you do not want to take up too much time away from the retail therapy.

I would suggest that Kings Court / Lido are worth using for a similar reason. We find that the day goes by so quickly on board, and we never seem to find enough time to fit in all we wish to do. To spend so much longer waiting for service at breakfast and lunch is time we don't wish to spend.

David.

To spend so much longer waiting for service at breakfast and lunch is time we don't wish to spend. David.

David,

I agree - as one of my crossing companions once announced 'I don't do buffets' - but on the other hand I found the breakfast/lunch service in Britannia rather sloooooooow.....unlike dinner service, looking forward to tips at the end of the crossing, no doubt.....the perils of two-seating dining.....

Peter

I do know, after having contacted Cunard, that the dog kennels will be refurbished and improved. There was some talk of them being removed (they do not appear in the 2006 brochure deck plan), but they are staying. Thank god for those of us who travel with our furry companions!

transat:

That is great news about the kennels !!

As someone who has friends who travel solo with Cunard, I only wish that "the powers that be" would take this time in the yard to convert at least a few of QM2's cabins from doubles into singles.

Tom

What would converting a double (cabin) into a single cabin involve?

Mostly:

FRAME OF MIND on the part of the marketing types who somehow feel that each and every one of us was born as half of a pair of siamese twins!

The plain fact is that some of us are single, either divorced, widowed or otherwise. We deserve to be treated like WHOLE PEOPLE, not social amputees or lepers.

There's all this whoopla about making ships and everything accesible (as there should be). Why can't the greedy shipowners accomodate those of us who have the "audacity" to try to travel without our nonexistant spouses/lovers etc.

QE-2 had no trouble filling 125 single cabins. Why can't QM-2 have even a token 1/10th of that number? They would have NO trouble filling them. DUH!!!

David,

I agree - as one of my crossing companions once announced 'I don't do buffets' - but on the other hand I found the breakfast/lunch service in Britannia rather sloooooooow.....unlike dinner service, looking forward to tips at the end of the crossing, no doubt.....the perils of two-seating dining.....

Peter

But where are you rushing off to on a crossing? I love the slow pace of a real lunch in the dining room. I always eat lunch in the dining room when crossing/crusing (unless I am ashore of course!).

Michael

But where are you rushing off to on a crossing?

Usually a lecture, or a walk...or a nap.....I certainly enjoy leisurely service....but Britannia was slow to the point of tedium at breakfast and lunch, that and 'lucky dip' on table location........

Peter

Just thought I'd mention that it has been announced that QM2's drydock will be carried out at Blohm + Voss Repair in Hamburg from 8 to 19 November. A press release can be viewed here. So the information stated above that she will be drydocked at her builders' yard is incorrect.

Thanks for the link - Blohm & Voss has been 'known' - or widely expected for some time - the 'enclosed cafe under the stars' went because the increased draught meant QM2 couldnt have made it back down the Elbe........the rest, we'll have to wait and see....

Peter

Archived