Currency on The Eclipse Scandinavia/Russia 14th June

jenpet

It appears we need several different currencies on our forthcoming cruise on the Eclipse on 14th June 15.

I have been advised not to use Euros or Dollars in the countries with their own currencies. Apparently it is risky as we could be conned with the conversion if we spend euros or dollars.

I have no idea how much to take for each port as the currencies could be costly to change back to sterling if we take too much.

What are others doing?

It appears we need several different currencies on our forthcoming cruise on the Eclipse on 14th June 15.

I have been advised not to use Euros or Dollars in the countries with their own currencies. Apparently it is risky as we could be conned with the conversion if we spend euros or dollars.

I have no idea how much to take for each port as the currencies could be costly to change back to sterling if we take too much.

What are others doing?

We took about GBP25 of each currency last year, (except for Euros and we took lots of them) This proved plenty for miscellaneous spends, anything big we bought on Credit card. If you cant get roubles (some on here say that it was difficult although I didnt find it so) dont worry all shops in SPb seemed to accept Dollars and Euros. We also took plenty of Dollars and used the excess to reduce the balance of the on board account.

.... Apparently it is risky as we could be conned with the conversion if we spend euros or dollars.

Conned might be a strong word, particularly if you've done 2 mins of home work before hand to find out what roughly the exchange rate is.

I suspect shops etc taking Euros and US Dollars instead of their own currency will not offer a favourable exchange rate c.w. the rates charged by a bank or high street exchange shop. Not like the old days of visiting eastern block countries where you could get 4-5x the official exchange rate by offering US dollars or even sterling

We, as usual, will be taking zero foreign currency and instead will draw cash from local ATM's using a good exchange rate debit card.

On our voyage from Southampton in two weeks, we will be taking around £50 in two pound coins-very handy for occasional tipping around the ship.

What are others doing?

Did this cruise last June. Dollars ( as well as othet hard currencies) -were happily accepted as were credit cards@ Hermitage, Peterhof etc. You Russia tours will likely be prepaid by credit card- don't worry about exchange for Russia. GBP for the UK or credit cards ( but you know that :) )

Euros for Estonia, Finland, Germany. Sweden & Denmark require Kroner (2 different types). However credit cards are easy to use & appear to be the norm. Be sure your credit card does not have a foreign transaction fee. Basically unless you are making huge purchases i.e exchanging a large amount of money the exchange rate should not vary that much.

Have a great cruise

We, as usual, will be taking zero foreign currency and instead will draw cash from local ATM's using a good exchange rate debit card.

On our voyage from Southampton in two weeks, we will be taking around £50 in two pound coins-very handy for occasional tipping around the ship.

This is the approach I take when I travel abroad. I have a debit card with no withdrawl fees and 0% exchange rate. I transfer cash to the account before I leave on vacation and use it to withdraw as needed. It has a chip and I can also pay for many transactions using my PIN or signature. If I have some left over currency, I put them in sealed ziplock bags next to my passport in safe storage and will have a small starter amount to use on a future vacation or cruise. :)

We did a cruise of Norway, Shetland Islands, Iceland, Ireland and Scotland last September/Oct.

We had to buy a lot of different currency. Fortunately, our private tour in Iceland took US$.

One issue that had using my ATM card in Copenhagen. I used it once at the airport on arrival successfully, but in a couple of days, needed more Krone. I tried three ATM machines and none would work with my ATM, even through I could see it was the same network as my Credit Union. I called my CU at the hotel and they said my account was ok,not frozen or anything. Not sure what was the problem. I later used the ATM in Norway and Scotland with no problems. Still, had I not brought some US$ in cash, it would have been a problem.

Second issue was using my credit card. My credit cards don't have an embedded PIN chip and some restaurants in Copenhagen had a problem dealing with that and offering me signature rather than pin.

If you don't have the PIN chip in your credit card, be sure to tell the cashier in advance you need the signature option. Scandinavian businesses seem to be more oriented toward the PIN option.