Australia and All-inclusive beverage pkg

Wavelet

We are planning a Transpacific cruise in April 2017 leaving Sydney traveling to Los Angeles. We would like to purchase the AIBP but I see the pkg is not available for ships leaving/returning to Australia. My question is this: would the pkg be available for purchase after the ship leaves Australian waters, or not at all? Any information would be appreciated.

We are planning a Transpacific cruise in April 2017 leaving Sydney traveling to Los Angeles. We would like to purchase the AIBP but I see the pkg is not available for ships leaving/returning to Australia. My question is this: would the pkg be available for purchase after the ship leaves Australian waters, or not at all? Any information would be appreciated.

Good question...........

I believe prior posts from other Aussies it was said that its not available on the voyage at all.

As others have stated, it is not available at all.

Many people have offered up possible reasons as to why, ranging from GST implications, alcohol service laws, all the way through to "the Aussies must drink too much for it to be profitable".

I've contacted Princess for clarification but they could only tell me the obvious that it "is not currently offered on any cruises departing from or arriving into Australia".

This is a good question. It's my understanding that the package isn't available on round-trip Australian cruises but I don't think that applies to a trans-Pacific re-positioning cruise. My reasoning is that the ban applies if the onboard currency is $AUS but a trans-Pacific cruise would have $US onboard currency. I'd double-check with Princess.

This is a good question. It's my understanding that the package isn't available on round-trip Australian cruises but I don't think that applies to a trans-Pacific re-positioning cruise. My reasoning is that the ban applies if the onboard currency is $AUS but a trans-Pacific cruise would have $US onboard currency. I'd double-check with Princess.

I don't think it has anything to do with the currency.

I don't think it has anything to do with the currency.
It's indirect. If the ship is sailing under Australian laws, the currency onboard will be $AUS. If the ship is sailing under US laws, the currency will be $US.

On our Emerald cruise next year from Southampton to Sydney, the onboard currency will be $US and US laws will be in effect. Once the Emerald arrives in Sydney, the onboard currency will be $AUS and Australian laws will be in effect. That's why I'm making the educated guess.

If I was a betting person. I would put my money on the profitability angle. They can make more moolah by not selling the package as Australians like to have a drink.
There'll be a lot of Americans on the OP's trans-Pacific, probably more than Australians. Always follow the money. Edited by Pam in CA

It's available on the Diamond this September SIN to SYD.

I have a booking from Tokyo to Sydney (Onboard currency USD), the AI drinks package is available in my personalizer to purchase (AUD $61.99 per day).

I have only heard it was in effect for cruises from Australia not to Australia.

Who knows. :cool:

I have only heard it was in effect for cruises from Australia not to Australia.

Who knows. :cool:

Depends on whether the coin lands on Heads or Tails.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the info. I was hoping it was available for at least part of the cruise. The cruise is almost 2 years from now. As it gets closer, I'll call Princess. Maybe things will change. Thanks again.

Emerald Princess April 12, 2017 correct?

Here is what Princess states in their description of the AIBP. "Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess or Diamond, Emerald or Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand."

Since the Emerald is departing from Australia, but is not returning to Australia I would say from the description above that they might offer the package. You still have 22 months until this sailing. Princess probably hasn't really figured it out this early. As time approaches you may see it offered in the cruise personlizer. Otherwise contact Princess. Current cost in US$ would be $56.35x29 = $1,634.15pp.

It's available on the Diamond this September SIN to SYD.

I'm booked on this cruise and the option for the AI is not available in the personaliser.

A call to Princess also confirmed it is NOT an option.

Strange because my parents journeyed the reverse trip, Syd-Sin in Jan on Celebrity and they had a FREE drinks package.

Rock

I'm booked on this cruise and the option for the AI is not available in the personaliser.

Strange because my parents journeyed the reverse trip, Syd-Sin in Jan on Celebrity and they had a FREE drinks package.

Rock

Celebrity are different. They have drinks packages on cruises in the Australian region. None of the Carnival group ships, including Princess, do.

Princess actually gives much better value without the packages. It cost us double per day for drinks on an RCI cruise than on a Princess cruise and we were drinking much more interesting wines on Princess.

Rock

I've got it confirmed in an email from Princess. Not that that means anything anyway. I'm actually going on cancel it once I'm board anyway.

Emerald Princess April 12, 2017 correct?

Here is what Princess states in their description of the AIBP. "Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess or Diamond, Emerald or Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand."

Since the Emerald is departing from Australia, but is not returning to Australia I would say from the description above that they might offer the package. You still have 22 months until this sailing. Princess probably hasn't really figured it out this early. As time approaches you may see it offered in the cruise personlizer. Otherwise contact Princess. Current cost in US$ would be $56.35x29 = $1,634.15pp.

The above looks pretty clear to me: not available on round-trip Australian and New Zealand cruises. Which means it would be available on repositioning cruises to or from Australia or New Zealand. Which is what I posted above. :)

I've booked a cruise on emerald 2 weeks syd-nz-syd dec 2016 and in my personaliser is the AIBP at $70.44 aus per day???

Interesting. Will the onboard costs on Emerald be in USD or AUD? If USD that may be why the AIBP is being offered, they aren't treating it as one of the Aussie-based ships.

I wish they'd be consistent :confused:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi,

we are booked on this cruise due to cancellation of Golden cruise in 2016. As we booked Mel to Sydney leg and Sydney to L we had two cruises to book. We have booked one at Christmas. AUS/NZ and the replacement repositioning in 2017.

I had the same question. It is as Pam has outlined not available on the Aus/NZ but is on the repositioning. I know this as I went into rise personaliser and tried to purchase as dummy. Not available on the NZ cruise but I could purchase on LA cruise. Not sure if we will as thing the pricing is high for our drinking style. We will use Christmas cruise as model before ultimately deciding.

PS there is a new roll call for the 2017 cruise if you haven't already joined.

Hi,

I had the same question. It is as Pam has outlined not available on the Aus/NZ but is on the repositioning. I know this as I went into rise personaliser and tried to purchase as dummy. Not available on the NZ cruise but I could purchase on LA cruise. Not sure if we will as thing the pricing is high for our drinking style. We will use Christmas cruise as model before ultimately deciding.

Last Christmas on Sun, cocktails were $14, wines started at around $25 a bottle . There were a few under $30, a reasonable selection under $40, ditto under $50, and upwards from there. Cheaper than Aussie restaurant prices for simlar quality of wine. Per glass was reasonable too - maybe $8-9 I think. Not sure what the beer prices were. Coffee cards were $35 for fifteen punches.

We averaged $45pp per day but did take some wine onboard which we drank in our cabin, and also had a balcony dinner one hight which included drinks in the price. I'd budget $50-60pp per day in future, which I think is cheaper than the package.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm booked on the SIN-SYD Diamond Princess cruise and the option for the AI is not available in the personaliser.

Hmm, just logged in to the Cruise Personaliser and for some reason the AI Beverage Package has now appeared!!

I wish people would make up their mind.

Rock

• 7 months later...

Oh my, I'm booked on the March 23 voyage from SYD to SIN which is a relocation cruise, and the only booze options I'm seeing are '5 for the price of 4' beer offers.

Do I need to wait closer to sail time for daily packages to appear or does it look like this cruise will be treated like other Australia-Australia cruise with no packages offered?