ID_ Not very happy about HAL' Customer Service

ItalianGuest

Hi!

I'd like to know if anybody of you (from EU) has ever cruised here in Europe with HAL using an ID card instead of the passport.

Here is my problem:

since one of my cruise-mates doesn't have the passport, I've asked to HAL to send me an email confirming the possibility to sail just with the ID, so to avoid misunderstanding at the pier, that could bring us away a lot of time as I have experience in the past.

I'm sure that's It is possible due to the Schengen Treaty: the countries involved are Denmark, Norway and the UK.

They have replied me that they suggest all guests to travel with passport and that It is not their responsibility allow or not differents identification documents.

A very hasty answer in my opinion.

Last year I had the same problem with CUNARD and they kindly sent me a confirmation, so that during the embarkation process, when the steward told me that It was necessary a passport, I presented him the mail and we were able to board the ship in a few minutes.

Any similar experience?

Have you ever used an ID?

I don't want to be denied at the pier or to wait hours!

Thanks in advance, ciao:)

ItalianGuest

Edited by ItalianGuest

A list of countries that recognize and accept the validity of the Identity Card for admission into their territories, for which the ID is equivalent qualification to the passport:

https://sites.google.com/site/reclaimingitaly/for-italian-citizens/identity-card

Edited by ItalianGuest

A list of countries that recognize and accept the validity of the Identity Card for admission into their territories, for which the ID is equivalent qualification to the passport:

https://sites.google.com/site/reclaimingitaly/for-italian-citizens/identity-card

I have seen people using ID cards (not necessarily Italian ones but definitely French) at UK Immigration, it certainly looks from your information as if it should be OK.

I don't have any experience though as we don't have ID cards, just passports.

The problem in my mind is that Hal, and really any cruise line or mode of transportation requiring ID to travel, is in a bind to know every potential form of acceptable ID literally world wide. What they know for sure is that a valid official passport is the baseline acceptable ID. That's their comfort level and the lowest risk answer. Could be and it sounds like the friend's ID card is perfectly acceptable in most circumstances it's just a matter of convincing HAL. Of course, good luck with that. There's more than one post or thread here from folks who have been told this or that is fine by one representative only to have the next say something completely different.

There is also the question of liability. If HAL provides written confirmation that the ID is acceptable and for some reason it is not, HAL could be held liable.

As Randy said - a passport is recognized by everyone.

Many of us remember what went on a while back when someone was told a birth certificate and ID was good for US citizens. Unfortunately for him, having a German Birth Certificate, he needed additional documentation which he didn't have. It took a while, but it was finally settled to his satisfaction.

Why haven't all of you gotten passports? It is so much easier than an ID.

Hi!

For those like my friend that does not travel outside Europe, making the passport is not convenient.

It is more expensive, must be issued by the police (Questura) and not by the municipality, and you have to pay a fee each year if you use it.

In addition, it takes about a month to be issued and it is too late since we have booked a last minute.:(

Ciao

IG

Edited by ItalianGuest

Hi!

For those like my friend that does not travel outside Europe, making the passport is not convenient.

It is more expensive, must be issued by the police (Questura) and not by the municipality, and you have to pay a fee each year if you use it.

In addition, it takes about a month to be issued and it is too late since we have booked a last minute.:(

Ciao

IG

I'm assuming you're cruising in Europe so hopefully the terminal agents will be familiar with your friend's ID and it won't be a problem. Obviously it is a risk and nobody here can give you an absolute answer one way or the other. A shame that acquiring a passport in Italy is so much trouble.

The good news for us is that we'll be on our way to your beautiful country in less than 48 hours now. Monday morning we'll be landing in Venice and will have a couple of days before we board our ship with more stops in Italy over the next two plus weeks. This will be my eighth visit to Italy and indeed it is my favorite European country.

I have one suggestion that may help your friend at checkin.

Go onto the Government Website of each Country that you will be visiting and printout the regulations for admittance of an Italian National into the country, it usually includes details of Land, Sea or Air arrival.

If your friend has any problems at checkin, he will have proof that he has all of the required documentation.

I'm assuming you're cruising in Europe so hopefully the terminal agents will be familiar with your friend's ID and it won't be a problem. Obviously it is a risk and nobody here can give you an absolute answer one way or the other. A shame that acquiring a passport in Italy is so much trouble.

The good news for us is that we'll be on our way to your beautiful country in less than 48 hours now. Monday morning we'll be landing in Venice and will have a couple of days before we board our ship with more stops in Italy over the next two plus weeks. This will be my eighth visit to Italy and indeed it is my favorite European country.

Enjoy your stay!:)

I have one suggestion that may help your friend at checkin.

Go onto the Government Website of each Country that you will be visiting and printout the regulations for admittance of an Italian National into the country, it usually includes details of Land, Sea or Air arrival.

If your friend has any problems at checkin, he will have proof that he has all of the required documentation.

Thank you very much! :)

we're cruising this summer with hal and we will not leave the EU. Our TA said that HAL requires a passport, also for European itenaries. we don't want any problems at the pier, so we have got our passports now. I don't think we'll be using them much, as we do not leave Europe when we travel.

we're cruising this summer with hal and we will not leave the EU. Our TA said that HAL requires a passport, also for European itenaries. we don't want any problems at the pier, so we have got our passports now. I don't think we'll be using them much, as we do not leave Europe when we travel.

What a bad news:(

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Regards,

IG

A temporary Passport (not electronic) could be a solution... It can be issued in a few days according to the web.

On monday my friend will ask to the police station!

Again thank you for your help!

Hi!

Ciao

IG

Seeing your friend traveled out of home country last year and again this year, perhaps they should reconsider their choice to not have passport. Is your friend working on seeing if their ID is sufficient?

I agree the HAL rep was reluctant to give you a written promise of being permitted to board seeing there are so many ID's they could not know for sure your friend's is adequate to suit Immigration Officials.

Edited by sail7seas

Seeing your friend traveled out of home country last year and again this year, perhaps they should reconsider their choice to not have passport. Is your friend working on seeing if their ID is sufficient?

I agree the HAL rep was reluctant to give you a written promise of being permitted to board seeing there are so many ID's they could not know for sure your friend's is adequate to suit Immigration Officials.

Not the same friend obiously!

I'm the "leader" of the group and I have promoted this cruise and booked through HAL without taking information before because the cruise was in Europe... So now I'm doing my best in order to help!

Ciao

IG

Edited by ItalianGuest

Sorry, I read your OP and it was not obvious to me it is a different friend. :)

Good luck. Hope it works out for this friend.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry, I read your OP and it was not obvious to me it is a different friend. :)

Good luck. Hope it works out for this friend.

You're right! It was obvious in my mind!:rolleyes:

Ciao

IG

They did away with this tax in 2014. :) I found the idea so absurd that I googled.

Wow...I don't have to pay! An American more informed than me!!!

Thank you.

I'm going to check!

Regards,

IG

Edited by ItalianGuest