Just for fun - fav Alaskan souvenir

SDJen

A handful of sand from Carcross Desert in the Yukon, a pinecone from our seaplane flight with Island Wings in Ketchikan and beachglass found in Juneau. Canada customs probably would have seized it all if they had found it in my luggage! It all sits in a shadow box on my desk, and takes me right back to those times/places when I look at it. Souvenir shops will never get rich from me.

For me, I've worn out an Alaska lanyard with my work keys/whistle on it (school teacher) I love my pink Ketchikan hat I got in 2007, and various t-shirts, and drink from our Alaska mugs all the time. Plus Christmas ornaments from all ports. I too look for Made in Alaska. My husband is a Texas Hunter Ed Instructor and is also vary active with Texas 4-H Hunting and Wildlife. We watched a show on the History Channel called Mounted in Alaska (taxidermy shop). We visited there in 2012, got a tour of their shop, which was amazing. When he told them that he taught kids in Texas about Wildlife ID, they loaded him up with samples of fur and hides, and made him a great deal on a Bear skin that no one ever picked up. They packed it right in front of us and shipped it to Texas. Then the owner of the cabins we stayed in at Denali gave him a Caribou antler and he purchased a Moose antler in Talkeetna. Shop owner shipped both to Texas for us. He was in Heaven when we got back home to open his boxes! He loves to find the taxidermy shops in ports and see what treasures he can find. That's how I get my cruise...lol!

Two things: At the Christmas shop, I bought a small natural wood igloo with a baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph, made from birch milled in Willow, Alaska. It's so sweet and humble and I look forward to using it at Christmas.

I also got a beautiful art print, bought from the artist at her own stand in Ketchikan. It's so pretty - a float plane lifting off from the harbor. We had just finished an amazing tour with Carlin Air, so I treasure it.

Edited by MpwdMom

My favorite items from Alaska are

1) the carved whale bone of an eagle head ullu knife

2) the knife made with a coyote jaw bone handle and abcidion (spelling) blade

3) the wonderful quality sweatshirts in my size.. lets just say really big... that are warm and thick and still look like new after so many years...

The fun gift I had heard about but could not find last time was moose poop that was covered in shellac ,.... LOL

Did you have to ship the ulu home from the store you purchased it from? I want one but not sure on the rules about bringing it back to the lower 48.

Just pack it in your luggage. You cannot carry it on. We learned that the hard way. :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Sometimes the best souvenirs are the things that are just so unusual that it catches your eye and is NOT seen in every store you go into.

My DW found a very cute ceramic of a little boy and girl Eskimos on a dog sled with baby huskies pulling them. She fell in love with it and we have had it on display for many years now.

Myself, I bought a great winter type jacket which I wear all the time. We got a great buy on it and where ever I wear it, people comment on it (good comments only, I hope :D:D:D:D)

Cheers

Len

Our first Alaska cruise was Aug. 1981 (Sitmar). My late DH bought a lovely (& very heavy) green soap stone walrus. It's still on the shelf in my living room.

On 2 later trips, I got Christmas ornaments, but the BEST are my photos & memories!

Hi guys, maybe this question has come up or maybe not. When you are gonna go to Alaska, and you think of your coworkers,:) do you buy online or wait til you get there, buy and bring them back home, for example, the Juneau Fudge shop, etc.:eek:

Virginia

Hi guys, maybe this question has come up or maybe not. When you are gonna go to Alaska, and you think of your coworkers,:) do you buy online or wait til you get there, buy and bring them back home, for example, the Juneau Fudge shop, etc.:eek:

Virginia

When I cruise I don't think of my co-workers....I don't think of my

office at all when I am on a cruise.:eek:.......taking a cruise is for me~

my vacation.:D...I have been working in the same office for almost

25 years......I don't bring things back to the office.

Why do you bother with this thread, Lois R, if you are not interested and don't participate in buying souvenirs?

Back to the subject at hand. The only place I have received an ULU from is Alaska. My grandma bought it for me before my traveling days, and I like to bring them back as gifts because they are somewhat unique and a useful tool.

If you ARE looking for gifts for co workers, friends, family, those Ulu knives make wonderful gifts. They are pretty much only sold in Alaska, are relatively cheap and do not take up a lot of room to pack.

Cheers

Len