No Bottles allowed

TXFATGUY

I think it's awesome that bottled water will be cheaper, even though I usually just refill from the beverage station. Yes, I use one of their cups and pour it into my own, I don't put my germs up to the spout.

This is slightly annoying though because it's happening shortly after one of my favorite reviewers posted pictures in her review that clearly indicated she snuck liquor through embarkation in a water bottle. I don't care if you sneak it on, how you sneak it on, or what you do with it, but jeez don't brag about it online, especially here. With pictures! Not smart.

I do hope it will make embarkation go more quickly but we'll see.

I think this is fair...

Question - we were on Freedom in Dec, and used refillable water bottles and filled with water from the ship. It was perfectly fine. So why buy the water even?

Because many swear up and down that the ships water makes their feet swell. Others like their certain brand of water. I know my wife doesn't like when I come home from the store with a different brand of water, we are fine with the ships water.

Will probably impact parents of children, or those that must have organic, or those women with bladder issues that need cranberry juice.

My grocery store has cranberry juice in both boxes and cans as well as many organic products packaged this way. Kids drinks are easily obtainable in packaging outside of "bottles". In fact most kids drinks are in easily disposable containers.

how did you find out before the announcement FATGUY?

I thought it was a logical guess because of now buying water onboard. The people who learned how to get booze on board in bottles is likely more rampant than most think. So these people will be most upset.

Will probably impact parents of children, or those that must have organic, or those women with bladder issues that need cranberry juice.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it not possible to get those products in 12oz cans or cartons?

Forgive my ignorance, but is it not possible to get those products in 12oz cans or cartons?

You can get juice of almost any kind, even energy drinks, teas, milk, etc. in sip form or in cans. This policy change is a complete non-issue.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

My grocery store has cranberry juice in both boxes and cans as well as many organic products packaged this way. Kids drinks are easily obtainable in packaging outside of "bottles". In fact most kids drinks are in easily disposable containers.

Just because you're does that mean every grocery store does? The one I frequent only has organic in large bottles. Not everyone will have the same type of your store as you do. You should never assume because you have it available others will.

Yes, for the most part. Not all brands, but there are definitely carton/can options out there for juice and milk/soy products.

I don't mind the change. We were going to bring on three six-packs of diet coke/coke in the 16 oz bottles, now we will just bring on 24 cans. Not a big deal. You can still get bottled/cartoned options in port and bring them on if that is not enough juice for the kids or whatever. I don't see anything in the guidelines that would prohibit that.

If someone absolutely has to have all organic of a certain brand, I would question them going on a Carnival cruise to begin with, as they are going to have problems with 90% of the food/drink on the ship.

I would think this would speed up embarkation a lot, actually. Not for the next couple of months, as people get used to it, but going forward.

Edited by bargainsniper

It doesn't really affect me, since we almost always drive to ports - but having purchased alcohol delivered the morning of debarkation is going to be a problem for people who want to put their luggage out the evening before.

I'm sure some tweaking of this policy will be happening.

Just because you're does that mean every grocery store does? The one I frequent only has organic in large bottles. Not everyone will have the same type of your store as you do. You should never assume because you have it available others will.

Not to be trite...but you make it sound like Carnival should up the ante because your particular store doesn't carry items that adhere to Carnival's standards. I think this is an issue for your store not for Carnival.

It doesn't really affect me, since we almost always drive to ports - but having purchased alcohol delivered the morning of debarkation is going to be a problem for people who want to put their luggage out the evening before.

Carnival, or any cruise line, does not need to concern itself with all the possible ramifications of their "drinks" policy. People need to make adjustments. If you want to purchase alcohol it is up to the purchaser to figure out how to get it off the ship and eventually home. Why should Carnival figure that out for them.

No big secret in finding out this information. I received an email explaining the same thing JH did in his announcement at 10:01 am this morning. I personally am glad that they made this change, reasonable water prices delivered to cabin, worth the price they charge. As far as alcohol, that is the one splurge on a cruise I don't mind paying for, it's nice to have drinks made and served to you. That's what being on vacation is all about, can't wait till this Saturday for another Glorious week! For once a good announcement from Carnival.

Carnival, or any cruise line, does not need to concern itself with all the possible ramifications of their "drinks" policy. People need to make adjustments. If you want to purchase alcohol it is up to the purchaser to figure out how to get it off the ship and eventually home. Why should Carnival figure that out for them.

Because if people can't put the alcohol in their luggage, then they won't purchase it on the ship - and I'm sure that will be reflected in their bottom line. And yes, they do "need to concern itself with all the possible ramifications of their drinks policy". Just as any company concerns itself with their own policies as it contributes to their profits (or not).

I'm not sure JH got that right in the official announcement. Either he's mistaken or this will have to be adjusted. People need to be able to pack their bottles in their luggage. Getting it the morning you debark simply will not work. That's going to cause way more confusion than not allowing bottled water.

I think this is fair...

Question - we were on Freedom in Dec, and used refillable water bottles and filled with water from the ship. It was perfectly fine. So why buy the water even?

I have always just used the water on the ship in the past. This year I will be cruising pregnant, so I am hoping bottled water will have a lower sodium content than the ship water and help reduce swelling.

Otherwise- I agree with you. Why buy water at all?

You're wrong there. Carnival sells the bottles. And people buy plenty during port stops also. You cannot bring that stuff in your carry on luggage on any airplane or train. So Carnival absolutely has to concern themselves with this. Like I said, either John is wrong or they need to continue doing what they've always done in my experience and drop the bottles off the night before so they can be properly packed in checked luggage.

It's not a big deal, of course, but it is a deal.

I prefer my sodas in bottles as I only use a small amount at a time. A 20 oz bottle lasts me most of 2 days. Once opened, a can will go flat in half a day. So I will have to use at least twice as many cans as I did bottles. Again, not devastating, but also not without its disadvantage.

As for water... They are not all alike. There is a particular national brand that has always tasted like dirt to me. I know that there are many people who claim that all water tastes alike and that the water on board is perfectly fine. That's great that they think that. There are also a great number of people who think that all mayonnaise tastes the same, or that all sodas and beers taste alike, and that a steak is a steak is a steak. Conversely, there are also a large number of us who know that this is nonsense. We have our brands that taste different and which we prefer over the others. Were this not true, brand wars would cease to exist.

Again, the changes are not a BIG deal, but for many of us, it IS a deal.

Bob

Expand your horizons a little. It's a big fun world out here.

3 things though

1) While only a few dollars I can easily get 24-35 packs of water for $2.99 to $3.99 normally. Plus its my preferred choice, there are plenty of water companies with extremely disgusting tasting water. Hope thats not Carnival.

2) This is a cash grab not a liquor smuggling issue. A company this size is getting these 12 packs for less then $0.50 per pack

3) Everyone is "So excited" about the new price. You think this will last? Ever seen an airline come into a new city with super cheap fares at the beginning only to have them sky rocket once they are settled? These 12 packs will be triple the price within a year minimum. You are a captive audience, if they charge $9.99 a 12 pack in the future you have no choice.

Edited by vincentharris

3 things though

1) While only a few dollars I can easily get 24-35 packs of water for $2.99 to $3.99 normally. Plus its my preferred choice, there are plenty of water companies with extremely disgusting tasting water. Hope thats not Carnival.

I agree. I hope it's not gross. Not all bottled water tastes the same.

2) This is a cash grab not a liquor smuggling issue. A company this size is getting these 12 packs for less then $0.50 per pack.

I would say it is a smuggling issue and perhaps a port issue since all this stuff brought onboard delays the boarding process.

3) Everyone is "So excited" about the new price. You think this will last? Ever seen an airline come into a new city with super cheap fares at the beginning only to have them sky rocket once they are settled? These 12 packs will be triple the price within a year minimum. You are a captive audience, if they charge $9.99 a 12 pack in the future you have no choice.

So don't buy the water today, because the price might be raised in the future? Also, what for-profit company do you know sells things at the price they paid for them? When and if they raise the price I will agree with your first and second points.

So don't buy the water today, because the price might be raised in the future? Also, what for-profit company do you know sells things at the price they paid for them? When and if they raise the price I will agree with your first and second points.

I am not saying "Dont buy today" what I am saying is they are introducing this at a low price to get people ok with the rule. Once it has settled in, and they cant reverse it the price of these 12 packs will skyrocket.