Solo Cruise, but still want to meet people! Crown Princess

amandaw559

Hi everyone. Just on here looking for some suggestions. In Dec/Jan I will have a few weeks off and thought a solo cruise would be just the ticket for relaxation and fun vi usually don't have a problem meeting people on vacations and am pretty out going. I see there are two options that fit my schedule. The first is the Crown Princess out of LA for 4 nights to Ensenada. The second is the Carnival Inspiration with the same itinerary. I've done the cruise on both Rccl and Carnival but both times were with friends or family so I don't remember the demographics of the people.

I am not looking for a romantic fling. I just want to meet people my age and have fun relaxing, doing excursions, and experiencing night life. I'm 35 years old and a teacher. Which ship has the approximate age range I'm looking for?

I know princess is probably the nicer of the two lines, but I am interested in meeting people in my age range. I've heard princess clientele may be too old. I don't want a booze cruise experience though.

I did some research and Princess is about double the cost of what Carnival is offering, but I'd really like to try out the nicer ship. I just don't want to be the youngest person on there.

Any suggestions or personal experience regarding this. I know there's a solo cruiser board, but it seems rather slow.

Thanks and I will be cross posting this on the carnival board!

Hi everyone. Just on here looking for some suggestions. In Dec/Jan I will have a few weeks off and thought a solo cruise would be just the ticket for relaxation and fun vi usually don't have a problem meeting people on vacations and am pretty out going. I see there are two options that fit my schedule. The first is the Crown Princess out of LA for 4 nights to Ensenada. The second is the Carnival Inspiration with the same itinerary.

Well, if you normally bring bottled drinks (soda, water, etc.) on your cruises, then you can scratch Carnival off your list based on their apparent new policy effective 9 Jul of this year!

Tom

Haha. I've been reading those threads. I'm not much of one to lug huge packs of soda/water on board. I do bring my bottle of wine, though (I actually smuggled another bottle of wine in my checked bag on a cruise 5 years ago). I usually have a pretty hefty bar tab. That's another thing. Is there a drink package on the Inspiration? I saw one for the Crown Princess. It was like $55 per day. I probably spend way more than that on sodas/coffees/liquor on a normal cruise so I'd definitely want a beverage package. But then if I cruised Carnival, the difference in the cost of the cruise would off-set the drinking package. The Princess solo cruise is about $200 more. I'm indecisive. I guess I have time to think. January is a ways off.

Believe me, a four night cruise to Ensenada is not going to have an overabundance of old people. You should be just fine on the Crown Princess.

Edited by billco

Haha. Thanks for putting it so bluntly billco. I almost wish I lived in Florida because there are way more options. I just can't justify the expenditure of flights,hotels, cruise, and transfers all by myself for a solo vacation away from my kids. I will really need the break though by January. I love traveling alone. I've just never done it on a cruise.

You will have no trouble meeting people if you book anytime dining and ask to share a table. On a short cruise, I think there will be more young people, but they might have small children in tow...EM

Believe me, a four night cruise to Ensenada is not going to have an overabundance of old people. You should be just fine on the Crown Princess.

I recently cruised on Princess as a solo on a 10 day cruise where I would have expected to see more of an older demographic. Yes, Princess does lean more towards 55+ but there was a good range of ages, including a few families and several in the 30-50 year old range. I quite enjoyed myself and never had an issue with engaging with folks. People were friendly and inviting at tables in the Anytime Dining Rooms.

I say go for it!

Get yourself to Wheelhouse Bar before 3pm so you can get a seat at the bar for 2 for 1 Happy Hour from 3-4. You'll meet tons of fun people as they hang over your shoulder trying to get their order placed with the 6 frantic bartenders! It's a zoo and the highlight of our last cruise. Met so many wonderful laughing people! This is on Princess, where I can guarantee you'll meet tons of new friends if you just say something to them! (I recommend the bar because the seating in the rest of the room sort of lends itself to groups because of the sofas, etc.)

I have done both cruises. Take the Crown. It isn't just a nicer ship, it's about night and day compared to the Inspiration. That one is small, has very few places to go outside (if you want to avoid the deafening music on the pool deck), and it's full of loud partiers on a four day cruise. The Crown will not be full of wheelchairs and walkers, as you might have heard. The shorter cruises tend to attract families and single people. You will find someone to talk to, believe me. It's definitely worth the extra money.

Thanks everyone! I've been researching almost all morning (I am on summer vacation now :) and my kids' school district is still in session). I saw on some previous Patters that there are single/solo cruiser meet and greets on the ship at various times during the cruise. I like that. Definitely leaning toward Princess at this point. I'm just trying to convince myself it's ok to spend this amount of money on myself while my family is fending for themselves. Trust me, though, it will be deserved. My husband will be deployed off and on for the next year and a half leaving me alone with two little ones for much of the time. The times he is home he's working nights, so again most of the parenting/cleaning/cooking/etc. will fall on my shoulders. All that in addition to working full time. I'm not complaining. I love my job and my family, but come January I'll be screaming for alone time!

I have nothing of substance to add only that I wanted to congratulate the OP for reaching out and trying to provide herself the most ideal match for her well-deserved cruising dollar. I'm sure her outgoing personality will serve her well onboard.

Also, the answers here are entertaining and informative (LOVED the Wheelhouse Bar info; will have to try next month on my cruise). Just a lot of good cruising spirit and juju in this thread. :)

Edited by Chunder Worthy

I did the crown 4 day cruise in February. There was a very nice mix of age groups and it was definitely livelier than the longer cruises but not PARTY PARTY PARTY. If you want quiet and outside and don't mind cigarette smoke the aft pool is perfect. You sound like you are taking care of a lot - so let yourself be taken care of for a few days. You deserve it.

Also get anytime dining - you'll meet lots of people and for those nights that you don't feel like mingling - there are lots of other options.

Enjoy yourself - and know that this veteran wishes your husband a safe return from his deployments.

Thanks. They're training missions so nothing that puts him in direct danger. The focus is on Europe in case tensions with Russia worsen. Deployments to the Middle East are scheduled for 2017 (tentatively)! Eek!

I went on this cruise on Princess last October with 2 friends, we left the husbands behind. What we noticed was there appeared to be lots of women with friends on board. I think with it being 4 days, it is easier for women to leave their home and just have fun with friends. As others have pointed out, do the anytime dining and ask to sit with other people, if you have lunch/breakfast at the buffet, perhaps look for a table to share. And above all, have a good time

If you sail the Crown check out the Adagio. It's a nice bar/lounge on Deck 16 next to Sabatini's. It's a great place if you decide you want a quieter venue. Many people don't seem to even know it's there and it has access to an outside deck area that is only accessible from Adagio and Sabatini's.

I have done both cruises. Take the Crown. It isn't just a nicer ship, it's about night and day compared to the Inspiration. That one is small, has very few places to go outside (if you want to avoid the deafening music on the pool deck), and it's full of loud partiers on a four day cruise. The Crown will not be full of wheelchairs and walkers, as you might have heard. The shorter cruises tend to attract families and single people. You will find someone to talk to, believe me. It's definitely worth the extra money.

I just got off the Crown Princess and I have to disagree about the wheelchairs and walkers. 90 percent of the folks on this cruise 23-30 May were over 55 and hundreds had walkers and canes. I felt like I was on a nursery home. Ship totally dead after 10 pm.

Benglish - Maybe the demographics of your cruise was due to it being a longer cruise right before summer vacation. Elderly people may have wished to avoid the rush of summer vacationers. Again, I've never sailed Princess - so I have nothing to base my assumptions on other than what others have said.

I just got off the Crown Princess and I have to disagree about the wheelchairs and walkers. 90 percent of the folks on this cruise 23-30 May were over 55 and hundreds had walkers and canes. I felt like I was on a nursery home. Ship totally dead after 10 pm.

Possibly that was the case on a cruise out of Florida, but the OP is asking about a cruise out of Los Angeles, and the many I have taken from there on the short itineraries confirm what I said earlier about the demographics. I was reporting on a specific cruise the OP asked about. (I guess it is a well-known fact that anyone over 55 is nursing home material, huh? :p With any luck, you won't make it to that horrible age and have to put up with all the other old people.)

Edited by shredie

Actual that was a cruise out of Seattle to Alaska. Not all 55 year old fit that category also haha. I am 70 myself but still enjoy the party atmosphere and dancing. I certainly was not indicating anything wrong with those folks in walkers and wheelchairs as I may be in that situation some day. It was mentioned in the post that you probably will not find a lot of wheelchair and walkers on that cruise.