John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

Please quote your source that this new policy has been instituted because Carnival is loosing drink revenue on the final night. Rumours instigated by a few disgruntled posters does not constitute fact and conspiracy theories hold no weight unless they can be proven. It may be that economics and convenience are playing a part in this decision, Carnival is a "for profit" corporation, after all, but I have yet to read an OFFICIAL statement behind their reasoning.

It's an OPINION!!!!

I really hope it is not due to reduced alcohol sales on the last day. If so, it says that Carnival management is completely out of touch with their product. They have absolutely no idea what is going on and what drives their guests' behavior. That does not bode well for the future.

While I hope this is not the case, it wouldn't surprise me. I bet almost none of management has ever worked on a ship and rarely cruised at that. Management that has never "done" can be very dangerous. They never truly grasp how the work gets completed. In some ways that is good, they don't have bad habits that need to be overcome. But then you also get decisions like these where they look at the numbers, but don't understand what they truly mean.

In any case, I have made my decision. I am going to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Maybe I'll be happier, maybe not, but I've decided it is time to find out.

I have said that if flying I would not buy booze BUT if the ship I am on leaves from Charleston, SC I might pour a couple from the bottle I pick up in the morning... as one of our friends or a cab will be taking us home.. AH a "free" tequila shot at 6am! Now that's the way to leave a ship!

I wonder what the people in the room would do about that? Maybe start mailing your booze to you?

Cruising is great because everyone has different things they like... which is why these changes get people so riled up on both sides. There will always be people who like something and people who don't care about it (and for some reason, can't figure out why it might be a big deal for someone else).

Having to get the booze on debark day is not a big deal to me because I rarely fly to cruises and rarely buy more than one bottle. I can see this being a problem for someone who is not in the same "boat" as me. But, on a cruise during spring break on the Dream, I did have to retrieve alcohol on debark day and the process was very smooth. So, for what it is worth, the picking it up doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Finally, I see the combination of the 2 changes in the past couple of days as more to do with underage drinking then profits. Given that I was in the 16-20 yr old group on a decent amount of cruises, I know the ways that this group gets alcohol and water bottles/last night booze were two of the easiest/most common ways. My guess (and this is 100% a guess) is that CCL has been getting in trouble for underage drinking and probably has been settling suits about it.

Please quote your source that this new policy has been instituted because Carnival is loosing drink revenue on the final night. Rumours instigated by a few disgruntled posters does not constitute fact and conspiracy theories hold no weight unless they can be proven. It may be that economics and convenience are playing a part in this decision, Carnival is a "for profit" corporation, after all, but I have yet to read an OFFICIAL statement behind their reasoning.

Please DO ask your friends at Carnival for an OFFICIAL statement. Many of us would love to know the real reasons for this ridiculous change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruising is great because everyone has different things they like... which is why these changes get people so riled up on both sides. There will always be people who like something and people who don't care about it (and for some reason, can't figure out why it might be a big deal for someone else).

Having to get the booze on debark day is not a big deal to me because I rarely fly to cruises and rarely buy more than one bottle. I can see this being a problem for someone who is not in the same "boat" as me. But, on a cruise during spring break on the Dream, I did have to retrieve alcohol on debark day and the process was very smooth. So, for what it is worth, the picking it up doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Finally, I see the combination of the 2 changes in the past couple of days as more to do with underage drinking then profits. Given that I was in the 16-20 yr old group on a decent amount of cruises, I know the ways that this group gets alcohol and water bottles/last night booze were two of the easiest/most common ways. My guess (and this is 100% a guess) is that CCL has been getting in trouble for underage drinking and probably has been settling suits about it.

I also think there could be many safety reasons. Good points...life changes..we adjust..some end up being better than we thought in the end...cruising and booze purchase perks are still a great deal especially if driving.

Please DO ask your friends at Carnival for an OFFICIAL statement. Many of us would love to know the real reasons for this ridiculous change.

Yes please. Because until they can provide one, people are left with no choice but to speculate. And whatever they may eventually come up better trump the stupidity of this move. Though I doubt it.....highly.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Your reasoning does not make sense to me. The fun shops do not sell liquor to anyone under 21 and neither do liquor stores on land. The vast majority of people who are smuggling alcohol onboard are over 21. This change which greatly inconveniences the passengers who legally purchase alcohol onboard will do nothing to prevent under age drinking.

The vast majority of people who are smuggling alcohol onboard are over 21.

I would bet that a large percentage of the booze smuggled is consumed by 18-21 age... and most likely either brought onboard by them or friend/relative that is older.

I would bet that a large percentage of the booze smuggled is consumed by 18-21 age... and most likely either brought onboard by them or friend/relative that is older.

Without a doubt. All you need is one 21 yr. old in the group. As easily as they could buy alcohol on land for their friends to smuggle on, they could just as easily buy several bottles of liquor for the group to consume on the last night. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been in that age group for a very long time or hasn't raised a kid in that age group in recent years. Unfortunately, being underage doesn't prevent kids from drinking. airmj2123's theory makes a lot of sense.

I wondered does this possibly relate to litigation. Under dram shop laws the business that sells or allow uncontrolled liquor may be liable..in this instance someone leaves the ship drunk and has an accident. The cruise ship could be liable. Saw old case where this occurred. Maybe they settled a case and had to make these changes...just my speculation

Your reasoning does not make sense to me. The fun shops do not sell liquor to anyone under 21 and neither do liquor stores on land. The vast majority of people who are smuggling alcohol onboard are over 21. This change which greatly inconveniences the passengers who legally purchase alcohol onboard will do nothing to prevent under age drinking.

As someone who has underage drank on ships, yes, this move does prevent underage drinking. (That is why it has been in place for 4+ years during spring break). Basically, CCL wants 100% control over the liquor on board, which means don't get shocked if bon voyage is eventually impacted. Although with bon voyage, there isn't a wide spread knowledge of how to order booze to a room before the trip.

I also think there could be many safety reasons. Good points...life changes..we adjust..some end up being better than we thought in the end...cruising and booze purchase perks are still a great deal especially if driving.

Laughing at self..this sounds horrible...I mean getting some for home if you are driving and legal to bring to your state...LOL.

As most Cruise Critic members know this group only represents a small percentage of the cruising public and we are the most devoted and aware cruisers. There are thousands or even hundreds of thousands of passengers who have never cruised of who cruise once or twice a year or even less and don't try to keep up new rules and changes, it just their vacation.

Many will bring plastic bottles on embarkation and expect their alcohol purchase to be delivered to their cabins the last night of the cruise just likes it has always been. They will probably not change their buying habits until they cruise again. So there is an excellent chance that liquor sales will remain about the same for quite a while. until people decide it is not worth the hassle.

Many will bring plastic bottles on embarkation and expect their alcohol purchase to be delivered to their cabins the last night of the cruise just likes it has always been. They will probably not change their buying habits until they cruise again. So there is an excellent chance that liquor sales will remain about the same for quite a while. until people decide it is not worth the hassle.

Huh? Its not worth the hassle to save 50-75% on the take home liquor?

:eek:

Well worth it to me

Huh? Its not worth the hassle to save 50-75% on the take home liquor?

:eek:

Well worth it to me

It varies by state. The savings are no where near that for us, and we have pretty high sales and liquor taxes.

People smuggle alcohol on board in order to save money. Most are well over 21 years of age. A very small percentage is smuggled on board by older friends or relatives for the 20 & under group. However, I am in total agreement with Carnival's efforts to prevent smuggling. It's the other policy (pick up your booze the morning you leave) that serves no purpose in preventing underage drinking

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Here's a good idea. (Carnival are you listening ?).

Where I live the liquor stores ID everyone who appears to be 25 or younger (drinking age here is 19). If the Fun Shop employee who sells the liquor asks those over 25 (or 30) if he/she would like it delivered the last night or "pick up" on the last morning. The younger adults would not be given the option. That would greatly reduce the morning line up and most passengers will be much less inconvenienced and very much happier with the policy. That would prevent the underage drinking some people are referring to as the reason for Carnival new policy.

People smuggle alcohol on board in order to save money. Most are well over 21 years of age. A very small percentage is smuggled on board by older friends or relatives for the 20 & under group. However, I am in total agreement with Carnival's efforts to prevent smuggling. It's the other policy (pick up your booze the morning you leave) that serves no purpose in preventing underage drinking

I am "well" over 21 and gave up smuggling many, many years ago. Between the AI "cheers" program and buying a bottle (or 2) thru Bon Voyage it just did not make sense. I budgeted for it, part of the cruise expense. Again IF I am driving I might buy a bottle or 2 to bring home or might not. With the new policy most likely it will be not as I actually might forget to pick it up!

I think that if there are a lot of 18-21 yo's on a cruise that drinking the last night was most likely a problem and will be less of or no problem with this rule...