regal princess docked in Stockholm today?!

Gillian123

Posting live from the Regal Princess, having just departed from St. Petersburg. The Captain went on the P/A this evening to announce that they have been watching the weather forecasts very carefully and today he has made the decision to dock in Stockholm instead of anchoring off Nynashamn on July 5, if weather continues to permit. He stated that sailing in and out of Stockholm is very scenic and recommended watching it. The announcement was then repeated in Spanish, and then the Shore Excursions people had to make an announcement in both English and Spanish as likely they were getting inundated with questions about whether tour tickets were still valid.

Thanks for the update & hopefully the weather will allow the ship to dock in Stockholm. :)

Several years ago on the Star we were scheduled to dock at Stockholm but dense fog prevented going there. Instead the ship had to anchor & tender at Nynashamn and passengers who wanted to go to Stockholm had to pay to go on a Princess chartered bus.

Posting live from the Regal Princess, having just departed from St. Petersburg. The Captain went on the P/A this evening to announce that they have been watching the weather forecasts very carefully and today he has made the decision to dock in Stockholm instead of anchoring off Nynashamn on July 5, if weather continues to permit. He stated that sailing in and out of Stockholm is very scenic and recommended watching it. The announcement was then repeated in Spanish, and then the Shore Excursions people had to make an announcement in both English and Spanish as likely they were getting inundated with questions about whether tour tickets were still valid.

Oh please come back and let us know where you docked! Hmmm I wonder if the private tour companies are watching who's docking where? I better check with SPG for our end of July port of call tour from supposedly Ny.

check the machines. I only used it twice. I brought danish ironers with me from home (got them through AAA). was in copenhagen for 2 extra days.

I did use Euros(Tallin, Berlin(little free time there also), think Helsinki). Mostly I used credit cards.

Thanks for your personal experience.

Oh please come back and let us know where you docked! Hmmm I wonder if the private tour companies are watching who's docking where? I better check with SPG for our end of July port of call tour from supposedly Ny.

Have you checked the Stockholm port's website that I posted in #5 to see if there's any info about your ship's scheduled arrival.

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

We were on Jun 4 Regal Princess and docked at Stockholm for the first time according to the captain. Saved us an hour of train ride into town, but we left Stockholm at 2 pm instead of 7 pm.

The tour company (SPB ALLA ..) will know and refund train portion from Nynashamn.

Regal Princess managed to dock right in heart of Stockholm today (July 5). Amazing trip and beautiful day. I noticed many of private tour companies waiting outside ship so they obviously adjusted for the change.

Regal Princess managed to dock right in heart of Stockholm today (July 5). Amazing trip and beautiful day. I noticed many of private tour companies waiting outside ship so they obviously adjusted for the change.

That's great! Are your hours in port shortened because of the change? I know it takes longer to sail the archipelago than to Nynashamn.

We were docked at Stadsgarden berth 176 today. However, coming into Stockholm definitely had its disadvantages. All aboard changed to 2:30pm instead of 7:00pm. Even accounting for the time required for tendering and transport in and out of the city from Nynashamn, we probably had 2.5 hours less to spend in Stockholm.

Edited by A.Emgee

Hope you are having a lovely cruise... how warm has it been

Hope you are having a lovely cruise... how warm has it been

It has been sunny and warm the last three ports of call. Our high so far has been 27C (80F) in St. Petersburg. The worst day was in Gothenburg (morning showers and high of only 18C (64F) in the afternoon, just as we were leaving). That was the only day with significant precipitation.

Edited by A.Emgee

I see you were scheduled to arrive in Stockholm. We are scheduled for Nyn.

Edited by eandj

No, Regal Princess was scheduled for Nynashamn July 5 initially. I am not sure when it changed on that website but just before we embarked it was still saying we would be in Nynashamn.

Edited by A.Emgee

No, Regal Princess was scheduled for Nynashamn July 5 initially. I am not sure when it changed on that website but just before we embarked it was still saying we would be in Nynashamn.

Now that's interesting. Thanks for that info.

I better check with our SPG tour how things change if we move from Nyn. I hate losing all the port time tho.

Is Stockholm then a tender port for the Regal?

We were docked at Stadsgarden berth 176 today. However, coming into Stockholm definitely had its disadvantages. All aboard changed to 2:30pm instead of 7:00pm. Even accounting for the time required for tendering and transport in and out of the city from Nynashamn, we probably had 2.5 hours less to spend in Stockholm.

Thanks for checking in, enjoy the cruise. :)

Thanks for the update. We will be in Stockholm aboard the Regal on September 9. Hoping we get to sail all the way in to Stockholm. Did they give you plenty of notice beforehand? Also wondering how this affects tours?

Thanks for the update. We will be in Stockholm aboard the Regal on September 9. Hoping we get to sail all the way in to Stockholm. Did they give you plenty of notice beforehand? Also wondering how this affects tours?

As mentioned before, we were informed by the Captain as we were departing St. Petersburg, so basically about 38 hours before we were to arrive in Nynashamn. The tours still run, with some adjustment in times I would think.

I am so happy to learn about this!

If you are interested in visiting the Vasa Museum (and it is highly recommended), please note that if you are docking at Stadsgården, that you can easily walk to the HOHO boats from your cruise ship. I don't normally take HOHO buses or boats when I travel, but in Stockholm these are an excellent choice since they run directly to Vasa until 10 am on days in which cruise ships dock at Stadsgården, and offer lovely views of the city from the water. Stromma offers a one stop ticket for 50 SEK, which can only be purchased on the ship. Please note that if you want to visit Vasa it is generally recommended that you arrive early, as it is the most popular museum in Scandinavia, and once it reaches capacity visitors must wait outside until others exit to preserve the ship. We were able to arrive at Vasa right when it opened, and it was completely empty. By the time we left it was already full. If you are not able to make it there first thing, others on the baltic cruise critic forum have noted that Vasa is less crowded later in the afternoon (but I cannot verify this information, as I only visited there once first thing in the morning).

Please also note that on our ship (NCL Star) breakfast was chaotic both for this day, and the first day of St. Petersburg, as everyone was trying to get off the ship as early as possible, and room service might be an excellent choice.

Edited by kitkat343

Regarding future berths in Stockholm this year by the Regal Princess, it will depend on the weather (as already mentioned) but also on berth availability.

I think that the Regal Princess only is able to berth at Stadsgården S167 and possibly at Frihamnen F638 and those berths are not that available on the days that the Regal is scheduled tl Stockholm/Nynäshamn.

I had a list somewhere of days with available berths in Stockholm but I can't find it at the moment but I will post it when I find it.

You check this website https://eservices.sjofartsverket.se/lotsinfopublic/lotsning_frames.asp

it's a list of all vessels that are coming in to Stockholm that have ordered a pilot.

So if your ship is coming to Stockholm it be listed at that website but the list only shows the arrivals/departures for a week in advance.

For next year I think that Regal/Royal Princess will be berthing in Stockholm more often since when this year's berthing schedule was made, the simulations/tests for the Princess ships was not finished so they were scheduled for Nynäshamn.

For next year they know that the ships can navigate into Stockholm so they can plan for that.

Edited by Desdichado62

Regarding future berths in Stockholm this year by the Regal Princess, it will depend on the weather (as already mentioned) but also on berth availability.

I think that the Regal Princess only is able to berth at Stadsgården S167 and possibly at Frihamnen F638 and those berths are not that available on the days that the Regal is scheduled tl Stockholm/Nynäshamn.

I had a list somewhere of days with available berths in Stockholm but I can't find it at the moment but I will post it when I find it.

You check this website https://eservices.sjofartsverket.se/lotsinfopublic/lotsning_frames.asp

it's a list of all vessels that are coming in to Stockholm that have ordered a pilot.

So if your ship is coming to Stockholm it be listed at that website but the list only shows the arrivals/departures for a week in advance.

Since the stop is weather related, I guess one can look to see if the disembarking in Stockholm is even possible due to number of other ships in port. It's nice to see previously nyn. scheduled ships ARE able to make the switch, even just a day or two in advance.

Ok here is a list of dates when either berth F638 in Frihamnen or S167 at Stadsgården/Teglevikshamnen.

Again I don't know if Royal or Regal Princess are too large for Frihamnen and this list was compiled a couple of weeks ago so I don't know if it still is accurate.

Also don't just these dates as a guarantee that Regal will sail into Stockholm these days, use it as in indication to which days it might be possible for it to sail into

Stockholm and if you are on any of those itineraries it would perhaps be a good idea to make some alternate plans as a backup should the ship sail into Stockholm instead of Nynäshamn.

Stockholm is very DIY friendly if you berth in central Stockholm and if you need advice, you can find the link to my Stockholm advice/info/questions-thread in my signature.

7 Aug S167

29 Aug F638

9 Sep S167

Edited by Desdichado62

Ok here is a list of dates when either berth F638 in Frihamnen or S167 at Stadsgården/Teglevikshamnen.

Again I don't know if Royal or Regal Princess are too large for Frihamnen and this list was compiled a couple of weeks ago so I don't know if it still is accurate.

Also don't just these dates as a guarantee that Regal will sail into Stockholm these days, use it as in indication to which days it might be possible for it to sail into

Stockholm and if you are on any of those itineraries it would perhaps be a good idea to make some alternate plans as a backup should the ship sail into Stockholm instead of Nynäshamn.

Stockholm is very DIY friendly if you berth in central Stockholm and if you need advice, you can find the link to my Stockholm advice/info/questions-thread in my signature.

7 Aug S167

29 Aug F638

9 Sep S167

Thanks for posting these.