A Few Juneau Questions

supatraveler

Hello All!

We are heading up to Alaska shortly via the HAL Westerdam. We do not have an excursion planned in Juneau as we want to just go visit Mendenhall and maybe explore the town.

A Few questions;

1) It looks like the weather is rather rainy in Juneau the next week or so. Is it still possible to go to Mendenhall and hike around? We are at least hoping to make it to nugget falls. Are there other hikes recommended around Mendenhall too?

2) I've heard about the school bus/shuttle bus to the visitor center? Where do I find that specifically, in relation to where the Westerdam docks? What schedule does it run on?

Thank you!

There are several trails in the Mendenhall area. The only one that I have taken is the one to Nugget Falls. It is an easy trail but you might get your feet wet if there is much rain.

The buses to Mendenhall are located in the same area as the Mt. Roberts tram which should be very near where you dock.

The shuttle buses leave from the tram parking lot. YOU need to post what dock your ship is at, if you want the specific information.

There are several trails at Mendenhall, http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401520

I have done them all except the West Glacier Trail, past the first mile or so.

The shuttle buses leave from the tram parking lot. YOU need to post what dock your ship is at, if you want the specific information.

There are several trails at Mendenhall, http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401520

I have done them all except the West Glacier Trail, past the first mile or so.

How do I found out what dock my ship is at?

How do I found out what dock my ship is at?

I have been on HAL 3 times to Juneau and have always docked at the dock closest to downtown which is where the tram is located. Princess docks further out a bit of a walk from town. As far as I know HAL never docks there.

I have been on HAL 3 times to Juneau and have always docked at the dock closest to downtown which is where the tram is located. Princess docks further out a bit of a walk from town. As far as I know HAL never docks there.
I remember my 2013 Zuiderdaam trip had us coming across in lifeboats when we refused to swim as they ran out of Juneau docks.

I remember my 2013 Zuiderdaam trip had us coming across in lifeboats when we refused to swim as they ran out of Juneau docks.

That does occasionally happen in Juneau when there are lot of ships in port. Fortunately, we've never had to tender there.

Edited by judynorth

You are not describing the "closest" downtown dock but the International Cruise Dock, which is behind the tram parking lot and new visitor center. the closest downtown dock is actually by the library/ Red Dog- steam dock.

We too have no plans in Juneau except for renting a car and exploring the area on our own. I want to get to Mendenhall and explore the own itself. We're arriving on the Millennium and that document posted shows we're arriving at FKL? I have no idea what that means. We're renting from Avis. Any suggestions besides Mendenhall to make use of the car?

We too have no plans in Juneau except for renting a car and exploring the area on our own. I want to get to Mendenhall and explore the own itself. We're arriving on the Millennium and that document posted shows we're arriving at FKL? I have no idea what that means. We're renting from Avis. Any suggestions besides Mendenhall to make use of the car?

It's a 15 minute, normal pace walk to the Goldbelt. South Franklin dock. furthest from downtown, being walkable. AJ is by itself a mile away, (not walkable for most, with shuttles running).

Head to your library and read up on Juneau- Fodor's and Frommer's both have Ports of Call books http://www.traveljuneau.com

It's a 15 minute, normal pace walk to the Goldbelt. South Franklin dock. furthest from downtown, being walkable. AJ is by itself a mile away, (not walkable for most, with shuttles running).

Head to your library and read up on Juneau- Fodor's and Frommer's both have Ports of Call books http://www.traveljuneau.com

Thanks! I see there are public busses and then the tour busses that go up to Mendenhall. I've read here on CC that people wished they had more time at Mendenhall but were constrained by bus timings. Also, I get the impression that the bus doesn't get you as close as you would if you had a car. Really, getting to Mendenhall is the only reason I've booked a car. If it isn't necessary, I'll save the $$$ and walk around town as well as take the busses.

Thanks! I see there are public busses and then the tour busses that go up to Mendenhall. I've read here on CC that people wished they had more time at Mendenhall but were constrained by bus timings. Also, I get the impression that the bus doesn't get you as close as you would if you had a car. Really, getting to Mendenhall is the only reason I've booked a car. If it isn't necessary, I'll save the $$$ and walk around town as well as take the busses.

The city bus takes you about a mile from Mendenhall - not a very good option but cheap. The shuttle buses take you right up to the parking lot near the visitor center and cost $20pp round trip. I think they run every hour but stop running in later afternoon (not sure of the time but I am sure someone will post the times and schedule). We rented a car once and enjoyed having it. There are other places that you can go in your car besides Mendenhall. There were 4 of us so it was cheaper than the shuttle and we saw more things. We have reserved a car this year also even though it is just the 2 of us.

In this picture, taken from Mt Roberts Tram, the smaller HAL ship, Statendam, is at Steamship dock. To her left is Oosterdam at CT dock. To her left is Diamond princess at the Franklin Street dock. You can see part of the AJ dock to the far left. EM

June5_zpsotpgf5em.jpg

I have tendered in Juneau and there is definitely tendering this year....this may change over the next few years as there is some dock construction going on. This year the Westerdam appears to be using the CT dock.

We paid $41 for 4 people. Driver said $35 plus a six dollar "park fee" that Mendenhall charges for drop off. Don't know if that was real or not. Don't really care. It was difficult to find a taxi, so beggars can't be choosers.

We tendered, so couldn't pre-arrange a taxi as I didn't know what time we would be ashore. Our whale watch pre-arranged taxis through Evergreen Taxi to pick us up at mendenhall and return us to the ship. I was pleased with the service and would recommend them.

Anyone know approximately how much a taxi would be from the CT dock to the Mendenhall glacier?

Also, does anyone have a preferred taxi company in Juneau?

too bad there is no uber :(

Budget $40 with tip- it should be a little less. :) I use Capital and Evergreen when I need a cab.

DEFINITELY do whale watching. They are having a stellar time right now with whales. We watched two pods of 6-8 whales each for over 2 hours and could have stayed even longer if we didn't have to go back to the boat.

Juneau is great for whale watching and crab eating. Harv and Marv showed us a great time and lots of whales, sea lions, otters and bald eagles. Tracy's Crab shack hooked us up with very, very good King Crab legs and claws as well as beer and wine. Don't waste your time or $'s on the crab cake sandwich, get the legs....

Strongly recommend both....