Onboard Duty-Free Liquor Prices?

Fouremco

Our post-cruise travel arrangements normally don't accommodate purchasing duty-free liquor for our return to Canada, so we haven't looked at prices onboard. In September, however, we will drive to Montreal, fly to Boston and cruise back to Montreal. Not only do we not have to worry about post-cruise baggage weight (!), but we can hopefully get some less expensive liquor.

I think we have three potential options, but have no feel for the differences in pricing:

Option 1 - Buy onboard at the duty-free shop. The easiest method, but price?

Option 2 - Buy in Boston, but I've no feel for pricing. I believe MA is tax-free on liquor. Would declare to HAL at embarkation and have them hold it.

Option 3 - Buy at duty-free in Montreal prior to flight to Boston. Might benefit from not having to purchase in USD as CAD dollar has done ok against other currencies. Again, declare to HAL.

At the end of the day, the savings might not be significant choosing one option over another, but it's always nice to save a few dollars.

Any thoughts as to which option would be cheapest? Anything that I've overlooked? We won't have surplus OBC, so that doesn't factor into the decision.

Edited by Fouremco

Option 1 - Buy onboard at the duty-free shop. The easiest method, but price?

Since i am not aware of current liquor prices or CAD exchange rates, I can only answer your first Option.

Someone on CC asked me this question while I was aboard the Noordam last month. Here is the HAL Shops price list that I scanned:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Duty-Free-Liquour.pdf

It's absolutely true that Costco will have liquor prices cheaper than almost anywhere, however, they do have a pretty limited selection and a lot of the bottles are the 1.75 litre size which I don't think you're allowed to bring into Canada.

The other thing I've noticed with the Costco liquors, is that now they are phasing out some of the premium brands and bringing in Kirkland brand rum, vodka, tequila etc. So if you have your heart set on a certain brand, you're unlikely to find it there.

It's absolutely true that Costco will have liquor prices cheaper than almost anywhere, however, they do have a pretty limited selection and a lot of the bottles are the 1.75 litre size which I don't think you're allowed to bring into Canada.

The other thing I've noticed with the Costco liquors, is that now they are phasing out some of the premium brands and bringing in Kirkland brand rum, vodka, tequila etc. So if you have your heart set on a certain brand, you're unlikely to find it there.

We've brought back larger sizes like 1.75 litre to Canada. As each person is allowed 1.14 litres, I think it's okay but I don't remember if we were questioned about it. If we were, we would just say that we had the one bottle between the two of us. I think they would allow it just to avoid the paperwork!

We once got a deal on Tanqueray Gin in St Thomas - 3 one litre bottles for US$33. We declared the three bottles and they waved us through.

OP, we were recently on the Maasdam and purchased our liquor onboard. It was easier than traipsing around an unfamiliar port trying to find the least expensive liquor. Plus, we wanted to spend OBC and make the next loyalty level by spending onboard. BTW, make your purchases early in the cruise before you reach Canada. We were given a letter indicating that purchases made onboard, after reaching Canada, would be subject to tax (we assumed the GST). Fortunately, we made most, if not all, of our purchases in the shops early in the cruise.

Why don't you price out the liquor that you want in Ottawa, and then check out the duty free pricing at the Montreal airport? That will give you a better idea. With the information that Crew News supplied, you'll have a really good feel for your options. I personally find the duty free pricing at the airports to be high, even with their supposed deals. I'm sure that HAL has always been less expensive than the airport duty free shops, whenever we've checked it out. YMMV

Edited by Alberta Quilter

You are right about the size of bottles,jlp879. We can only bring back 1 L. Our taxes on liquor importation are very high. It makes almost any duty free purchase a bargain unless you go over your limit! Fouremco, BC Liquor Distribution Branch has its prices online. Maybe your province's liquor licensing authority does too. It might be worth it to compare those prices to HAL shop prices. Maybe see if your nearest border crossing duty free has a website. For instance, peace arch does. It only lists some prices but it gives you an idea of some of the price differences. For instance, you can get a Grey Goose for $34.99 on HAL. Catch the special for 2 for $60. I'm assuming it's 1L. That's USD. At Peace Arch Duty Free it's 2x1L for $64.95 CDN. At today's exchange rate, that's $52.93 USD. Either way, it's a bargain because only one L of Grey Goose in our liquor stores is $57.89 CDN or $47 USD. In short, you can't lose no matter where you get it!

Since i am not aware of current liquor prices or CAD exchange rates, I can only answer your first Option.

Someone on CC asked me this question while I was aboard the Noordam last month. Here is the HAL Shops price list that I scanned:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Duty-Free-Liquour.pdf

When I was on Westerdam this past April they offered only a small offering off this list and for example, Grey Goose was not offered. If you decide to buy on the ship buy early as they sell out of some items.

FWIW, duty-free prices at Canadian airports are pretty high. I once priced some liquor at YYZ and found that street prices in Italy were pretty much the same.

I think option 1 is not a bad idea. The prices seem reasonable and what savings you might get at liquor stores may get eaten up by getting to/from there.

I found a price listing for the duty-free at Montreal's airport, and the prices are all over the place. I checked just a couple of items, but a wine we drink regularly I can buy in Ottawa for less than the duty-free at YUL, but their Grey Goose was a lot cheaper. Not as cheap as HAL's, however, at least for that item.

Bottom line is that I think we'll do it the easiest (and possibly cheapest) way and buy onboard. Early, as has been recommended!

A comment on sizes. While the duty-free allowance for alcohol is 1.14 litres (1.5 litres for wine), you can bring in larger bottles (or multiple bottles) and pay the duty and taxes on the overage. In my experience, as long as you declare the volume accurately, they don't bother trying to collect on a slightly larger bottle. Even if they do, it's still cheaper, as you only pay on the volume in excess of your allowance.

to clarify my statement, we live in New Brunswick where liquor prices are high.

I have found better pricing on the ships than what we can get a duty free. However, now that the dollar has taken a dive that has to be taken into effect too.

Just the same, with the specials we have seen we have picked up a couple now and then onboard.

We fly, but we just carry it off and then I have protective covers for them and insert them in the suitcase. Never a problem :)

I think the idea to look at duty free is a good one beforehand if you can and do the math and then see what specials the ship offers.

I found a price listing for the duty-free at Montreal's airport, and the prices are all over the place. I checked just a couple of items, but a wine we drink regularly I can buy in Ottawa for less than the duty-free at YUL, but their Grey Goose was a lot cheaper. Not as cheap as HAL's, however, at least for that item.

Bottom line is that I think we'll do it the easiest (and possibly cheapest) way and buy onboard. Early, as has been recommended!

A comment on sizes. While the duty-free allowance for alcohol is 1.14 litres (1.5 litres for wine), you can bring in larger bottles (or multiple bottles) and pay the duty and taxes on the overage. In my experience, as long as you declare the volume accurately, they don't bother trying to collect on a slightly larger bottle. Even if they do, it's still cheaper, as you only pay on the volume in excess of your allowance.

We have never brought enough extra alcohol home to be charge the duty on the overage. Does anyone have any personal experience on the amount charged? I heard that it was very high, like $1 per ounce. That just doesn't make it worth the hassle.

We have never brought enough extra alcohol home to be charge the duty on the overage. Does anyone have any personal experience on the amount charged? I heard that it was very high, like $1 per ounce. That just doesn't make it worth the hassle.

Here's a calculator for you:

http://www.canadiandutycalculator.ca/

It seems to have good reviews, but I can't personally vouch for it. I live in Florida. I mispronounce "about," and say "eighth grade," when I clearly mean "grade eight."

I ran that second bottle of Grey Goose through the calculator at $30. I called it Canadian though I'd have to apply the exchange in reality. The duty comes out to over $50. I hope that calculator is wrong but somehow it looks right!