Bringing soda on board????

I was wondering if in my carry on with my 2 bottles of wine can I bring a couple cans of diet ginger ale and a couple cans of coke zero?? Not looking to bring a case on just a couple cans for the room. I love dt ginger at night and can not get it on the ship with no coke machine. Any input is appreciated[emoji267]

I was wondering if in my carry on with my 2 bottles of wine can I bring a couple cans of diet ginger ale and a couple cans of coke zero?? Not looking to bring a case on just a couple cans for the room. I love dt ginger at night and can not get it on the ship with no coke machine. Any input is appreciated[emoji267]

Technically prohibited, but usually allowed.

We have cruised on Royal 20 times, and have always brought soda on board. Like you, I only like a certain soda, Coke decaf, which may not be available on board so I always bring my own in my carry on bag. I usually bring at least a 12 pack. You should have no problem.

Some have said that they use a luggage tag on their soda, and have not had a problem, but I tried this once and the porters shot me down on this, so into the carry on luggage it went!

Edited by loug1601

I'm just off the Jewel last week. I put a 12 pack of soda and a 4 pack of the mini bottles of wine in my small wheeled suitcase, put a luggage tag on and handed it over with the rest of m bags.

It showed up at our cabin door along with the rest of the bags, no problem.

I think there are three possibilities...

Worst Case

You're called to the "naughty room", show the sodas, they confiscate them and you take your luggage to your room.

Better Case

You're called to the "naughty room", show the sodas, they say "have a nice day" and you take your luggage to your room (with the sodas).

Best Case

The luggage shows up in your room.

I think there are three possibilities...

Worst Case

You're called to the "naughty room", show the sodas, they confiscate them and you take your luggage to your room.

Better Case

You're called to the "naughty room", show the sodas, they say "have a nice day" and you take your luggage to your room (with the sodas).

Best Case

The luggage shows up in your room.

What if I carry it on with me in my roller bag?

If boarding in Port Everglades, Miami or Port Canaveral I have had no problem, not ever. I once had issues in San Diego (long ago on the Navigator) they took it all, water, soda and my wine (pre allowed policy)ugh.

I know Carnival has recently changed their policy for plastic bottled water (a big no no now - very enforced now) and that would affect me as we typically bring both water and can soda.

Since security is typically port security it will be interesting to see if all lines have to follow the plastic bottle rule.

I usually put it in a soft sides thick cooler with a luggage tag and it arrives at my cabin.

From our experience of RCI and P&O, security is not really bothered about soda when you board the ship either at embarkation or your ports of call.

We have seen passengers trying to smuggle booze on INDY and then its taken off them and labeled up to be returned at the end of the cruise. Having said that P&O in January seemed a bit more relaxed about passengers taking booze on.

I just got off NoS in Galveston yesterday. As we were boarding we saw several people with 12packs of soda and or cases of bottled water that they were carrying on with no problem at all.

I have a question that i have not seen answered before. Why is it when someone asks about bringing soda onboard which technically is against the rules everyone chimes in with oh i have taken this or that and never had a problem just do this and you will be fine. But let someone ask about taking Rum or some other Alcohol on board and there is a firestorm and a ton of chastising going on?

I have a question that i have not seen answered before. Why is it when someone asks about bringing soda onboard which technically is against the rules everyone chimes in with oh i have taken this or that and never had a problem just do this and you will be fine. But let someone ask about taking Rum or some other Alcohol on board and there is a firestorm and a ton of chastising going on?

You're asking about logic on Cruise Critic?:confused:;)

We were not allowed to check 24 case of bottled water onboard the Freedom June 14th even with luggage tag secured. My DH carried it on but never again. Just too hard to walk around the ship with before 1pm.

They did open the wrapper and check some of the bottles of water going through security to make sure not confiscating booze on the ship.

We were told some people do get their bottled water checked in depending on the porters.

I brought 4 20 oz bottles of Pepsi on in a carry bag.

Laura

Edited by Arizona Laura

Because Royal openly allows in most cases for you to bring aboard water or pop even having the porters deliver it to your room. They do actively search for alcohol and if found they will confiscate that.

RCI do seem more keen on stopping alcohol being taken on board than P&O. Just from my observations. If people want to smuggle booze on board and run the gauntlet of security it's your choice. In the past we have put bottles in our main cases which are delivered to your cabin without a problem. I have seen security searching bags after the first port when booze is cheaper.

I imagine the answer probably boils down to (a) "RCL gets more money selling alcohol to you on board than soda/water," and (b) "it makes the lawyers happy" (i.e. liability reasons).