The Verdict on Oasis: My Views (Rm 12729 ), Tips, Compass, and "Too Many" Pictures!

The high dive:

DSCN9709_zpspihifjbm.jpeg

DSCN0433_zpss1z3xrdg.jpeg

TIP:If you have a balcony on the Boardwalk, be sure to watch for the practice sessions. Here is the high dive in action during the day:

DSCN0202_zpslmafizcq.jpeg

DSCN0204_zpstlll6dig.jpeg

DSCN0206_zpspz0l41pn.jpeg

DSCN0208_zpsftnuam6m.jpeg

Splish Splash: I loved this comedy routine even more than Oasis of Dreams. Okay, I love slapstick comedy, so it may not be for everyone. I will post the pictures from the different angles again.

TIP:

1. There are no reservations for Splish Splash, but seats were easy to come by.

2. If your kids (or you) like to get wet, sit in the front two rows. They are sure to get splashed!

The Penguins of Madagascar are in the house:

DSCN0851_zpsiahywnvi.jpeg

DSCN0854_zpszd4kbpjz.jpeg

DSCN0855_zpsw4esfcm7.jpeg

DSCN1034_zpszjm7zgeq.jpeg

Come Fly with Me: This show was very well done, with good singing voices, dance talent, and aerialists. However, I enjoy "Once upon a time" on Freedom class ships more.

Some scenes from "Come Fly with Me:"

DSC_0022_zpsegqq2tu1.jpeg

DSC_0025_zps1nozacjh.jpeg

DSC_0027_zps6v5qtcqz.jpeg

DSC_0034_zpsl8tfn9ic.jpeg

DSC_0037_zpsulqgv1ic.jpeg

The tumblers were a bit fast for the camera... (or the photographer)

DSC_0051_zps0aqvz0bz.jpeg

Frozen in Time:

Again, an excellent production with great talent, but I liked Freedom-Ice.com more. Still, the show is definitely worthwhile! Surprisingly, there were many seats empty when they opened the doors for general seating (no reservations).

We had reservations for the show on the last sea day and showed up about 20 minutes early. We got front row seats to the side of the ice.

TIPS:

1. If you want front row seats, get to the doors about 30 minutes early.

2. If you have young children, be sure to ask where they can sit to get the sleigh ride. Four young children get to ride on a sleigh during the show.

I have many pictures of this show, because I loved the costumes! The show is based upon fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen:

DSCN1382_zpsfagdg3xg.jpeg

DSCN1383_zpsasd16cie.jpeg

DSCN1386_zpsrfylxyyf.jpeg

DSCN1396_zpsyit0ysns.jpeg

DSCN1404_zpsriii7re6.jpeg

DSCN1434_zpselwhc60n.jpeg

Edited by APDMOM
Spelling

You have great photos and descriptions. You mentioned a few times that you chose to make this a ship vacation rather than leaving to do many excursions during the vacation. Are you happy with your decision? I am not overwhelmed by the excursions on some of the islands when we travel on Oasis and I'm considering staying on the ship instead. I feel bad because my kids haven't seen places like Cozumel or Jamaica though... I feel like I should go see the islands, but I don't want to be gone for the majority of the day and I want our excursion to be somewhat immersed in the culture (i.e. not roller coaster rides...).

Just a few more... Ricky Matthews, Cruise Director!

Let me insert here, that Ricky is one of my new favorite Cruise Directors. He has so many faces and talents :D Here he is demonstrating his ice skating 'talent'. He is hilarious!

DSCN1709_zpswbjoplxx.jpeg

DSCN1714_zpswf9rzgg3.jpeg

DSCN1724_zpsjjd2dy3l.jpeg

You have great photos and descriptions. You mentioned a few times that you chose to make this a ship vacation rather than leaving to do many excursions during the vacation. Are you happy with your decision? I am not overwhelmed by the excursions on some of the islands when we travel on Oasis and I'm considering staying on the ship instead. I feel bad because my kids haven't seen places like Cozumel or Jamaica though... I feel like I should go see the islands, but I don't want to be gone for the majority of the day and I want our excursion to be somewhat immersed in the culture (i.e. not roller coaster rides...).

I am very happy with my decision. We rarely do excursions. Even when we have tried to do cultural tours, it is just so hard to truly experience the island culture in one day. It also depends on the ages of your children. Personally, I would do the same thing again - Oasis is my destination.

Also, the ship is very quiet on port days, which creates unique opportunities to enjoy a relaxing vacation.

Who wants to see some islands? (or Labadee, the 'wannabe' island)

TIP: This area is a great place to get a family picture with the ship in the background. Just walk onto the island through the gates, then turn right, in stead of following the crowds to the beach. I put my camera on self-timer and put it on a trashcan for the picture:

DSCN0156_zpsft3ahyc1.jpeg

DSCN0159_zps76kga8lw.jpeg

TIP: You can see many more pictures of Labadee in my Indy review, located here (starting in post number 84):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014636&page=5

Just a few pictures from the ship:

DSCN0226_zpsc1jifo2o.jpeg

DSCN0227_zpsaeggagmf.jpeg

DSCN0228_zpsapq4lujl.jpeg

DSCN0230_zpsdx5vgj1n.jpeg

The Helipad Sailaway:

This was a platinum-and-up event. Once again, I was surprised at the poor turnout, but we had a fun time. Ricky Matthews was at his best, and was joined by King Julien. We all made a wave and the captain blew the horn upon our 'wave' signal. They served champagne and mimosas at the event.

DSCN0232_zpsgzejl1gn.jpeg

DSCN0253_zpslxxjnvje.jpeg

DSCN0270_zps31dkbh8k.jpeg

DSCN0273_zpsbz8qcflb.jpeg

DSCN0225_zpshlzgkzyf.jpeg

Here is one of the main reasons the helipad on Oasis is off limits: They have these structures that are part of the navigational system. These were opened and closed again during our sailaway (thus in use at the time we were there):

DSCN0235_zpshwymoam5.jpeg

That is it for events for now. I will be back later with some more of the port pictures and the belly flop competition :eek::D. Enjoy reading along and planning your next adventure!

We have made the Oasis our destination, too, since we've visited these islands more than once and no longer care to do the same old excursions. Dh usually golfs once or twice in the ports and I stay on the ship. The Oasis and Allure are great destinations and it's fairly quiet on board when the ship is in port. It's a good time to enjoy the pool and other amenities.

We love mini golf and are disappointed to hear Harmony will not have it. I am very curious to see what they do on Harmony in this area...

Two things.....your review is amazing.......second thing is this is crappy news, I did not realize that there was no mini golf planned for Harmony :(

Enjoying the review! My current favorite class ship is Freedom (was on Independence) and have wondered if I would like the Oasis class. My goal is to sail one of each class and then choose my favorite. Not that I won't continue to cruise all of them.

Won't be on an Oasis class until Harmony - so I realize some things will be different. However, your tips will be helpful regardless.

Two things.....your review is amazing.......second thing is this is crappy news, I did not realize that there was no mini golf planned for Harmony :(

Well, apparently the topic is under debate... we may yet have the mini golf. I heard it from a staff member though, so we will have to wait and see. There may be hope for us mini golf addicts :D

Thanks for following along.

Thanks again for all the followers of this thread. It is hard work but a lot of fun too! I think I enjoy the pictures as much as the cruise itself...

As promised, here are more island/port pictures. I forgot to post my literal view of Labadee...

My View: Labadee

DSCN0153_zpshzmfl92l.jpeg

And moving right along to My View: Jamaica

DSCN0641_zpshckz7gh0.jpeg

Look at that big ship!

DSCN0684_zpsqv805j3h.jpeg

Compared to FOS in December:

DSCN8164_zpslvx6xuvx.jpg

Oasis in June:

DSCN0687_zpsynt0ldu4.jpeg

FOS in December:

DSCN8203_zpsqzhjua9i.jpeg

It looks like a large building, doesn't it?

DSCN0690_zpsdjxmz8v4.jpeg

DSCN0689_zpsn0tgqj5v.jpeg

DSCN0688_zpsztc8gtva.jpeg

While in Jamaica, these brave men painted the 'ceiling' by the sound/light booth. You can see they are tied to a cable with a safety rope...and I could not even gather the guts to do the zipline :eek::

DSCN0680_zpsub52jyaz.jpeg

One final view of Jamaica (Falmouth):

DSCN0667_zps5lbhsrmd.jpeg

Edited by APDMOM
Add picture

My view: Cozumel

DSCN1121_zpshtc8x3m7.jpeg

DSCN1119_zpsvcemwyrd.jpeg

I have to say, Carnival is ahead of Royal when it comes to the port shopping area in Cozumel. It is just much more beautiful and spacious, with nice landscaping at the Carnival port area.

DSCN1126_zps4g7dtzym.jpeg

TIP: There are a couple of nice spots to take pictures of family with the ship in the background in Cozumel. You may need a tripod though (or ask someone to take the picture). We only found one place to put the camera on a table to take the picture.

DSCN1116_zpstrslnqdr.jpeg

A kind couple offered to take this picture for me and my mom:

DSCN1128_zpsg5peyt0p.jpeg

TIP: If you go in the middle of the day, the pier is not as busy, so it is easier to get a picture that is not crowded by too many other people (or accidentally photo-bombed).

My mom is such a fun lady to be with!

DSCN1132_zpskhik7tba.jpeg