Things to do in Fort Lauderdale for a day

Thoie

I've booked a back to back for next year, which means for once I'll be in Fort Lauderdale for an entire day while not encumbered with luggage/exhausted from just getting off a flight.

I've looked up things to do in Fort Lauderdale in the past - water taxi, sun trolley, Sawgrass Mills, the beach. I'm not that interested in the beach. I'd like to see Sawgrass Mills, just for the sake of it, but I'm not big into shopping, so can't see myself spending an entire day there. I've recently learned about Trader Joe's, and have an urge to see it/buy some crap there (cookie butter sounds intriguing). There's a shop opening in Fort Lauderdale later this year.

The ship arrives at 7am, and departs again at 4pm. Realistically it would probably be closer to 10am when I'm ready to disembark and start exploring.

What's the best way to go? Rent a car? Taxi as far as... somewhere, then switch to public transport? Private tour of some kind? Ship's excursion?

In theory car rental looks like it's pretty cheap, but I'd need to add on a sat nav, and probably insurance and things, and also deal with driving on the wrong side of the road, etc.

Lots of people use the time on port calls for a water tour via Carrie B or Jungle Queen boat tours. The cruiseships offer the excursion, but you can do it on your own for less. And have time to see a different area. A cab to Carrie B will get you just off las Olas where you can stroll the little shops and enjoy a lunch or cool drink at one of the many restaurants there afterwards. Cab should run maybe $15 or so.

http://www.carriebcruises.com/

http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Edited by eandj

I've booked a back to back for next year, which means for once I'll be in Fort Lauderdale for an entire day while not encumbered with luggage/exhausted from just getting off a flight.

I've looked up things to do in Fort Lauderdale in the past - water taxi, sun trolley, Sawgrass Mills, the beach. I'm not that interested in the beach. I'd like to see Sawgrass Mills, just for the sake of it, but I'm not big into shopping, so can't see myself spending an entire day there. I've recently learned about Trader Joe's, and have an urge to see it/buy some crap there (cookie butter sounds intriguing). There's a shop opening in Fort Lauderdale later this year.

The ship arrives at 7am, and departs again at 4pm. Realistically it would probably be closer to 10am when I'm ready to disembark and start exploring.

What's the best way to go? Rent a car? Taxi as far as... somewhere, then switch to public transport? Private tour of some kind? Ship's excursion?

In theory car rental looks like it's pretty cheap, but I'd need to add on a sat nav, and probably insurance and things, and also deal with driving on the wrong side of the road, etc.

Trader Joes is really just a small grocery store. Think Fresh n Easy meets Whole Foods.

However, cookie butter is definitely worth a stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trader Joes is really just a small grocery store. Think Fresh n Easy meets Whole Foods.

However, cookie butter is definitely worth a stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Ireland - I don't know either of those other shops either :)

eandj - thanks for the boat trip recommendations!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the links.

I'm debating whether to do an excursion on the FLL turnaround day OR just relax onboard.

Princess has an excursion for the CarrieB. It's 59.00.

Sounds like sharing a cab and then buying a ticket direct is cheaper.

It's 39.00 over to Sawgrass (Princess excursion) ....so basically 20.00 each way. Anyone know approximately what a cab would cost from the pier to Sawgrass??

It's 39.00 over to Sawgrass (Princess excursion) ....so basically 20.00 each way. Anyone know approximately what a cab would cost from the pier to Sawgrass??

A cab would be a lot more than $20 each way since it is about 15 miles from Port Everglades to the mall. For comparison, a cab between the airport and the port - which are within sight of each other - is around $15 each way.

A cab would be a lot more than $20 each way since it is about 15 miles from Port Everglades to the mall. For comparison, a cab between the airport and the port - which are within sight of each other - is around $15 each way.

Thanks so much capriccio!

What intrigues you about Sawgrass Mills considering you don't really like shopping? Its basically just a huge mall kind of shaped like an alligator.

We have a vacation home near there and out of months on end that we spend in Florida we rarely go to Sawgrass Mills lol so I don't really see the point how it can be a fascinating excursion from a cruise :p

There is lots to do in the Lauderdale area! What intrigues you? Seeing mansion / massive yachts?, alligators? gambling?

What intrigues you about Sawgrass Mills considering you don't really like shopping? Its basically just a huge mall kind of shaped like an alligator.

We have a vacation home near there and out of months on end that we spend in Florida we rarely go to Sawgrass Mills lol so I don't really see the point how it can be a fascinating excursion from a cruise :p

There is lots to do in the Lauderdale area! What intrigues you? Seeing mansion / massive yachts?, alligators? gambling?

I've never been to an American mall. I suspect once I got there I'd just think "Oh, it's a big shopping centre", but growing up watching American movies where people go to the mall as a destination in and of itself has made me curious :)

Part of me is semi-interested in some kind of swamp/alligator tour, but I know I'd just come back covered in mosquito bites and missing a leg where I accidentally stood on an alligator or something stupid.

I suspect I'll go with something like the CarrieB, or even the water taxi.

Part of me is semi-interested in some kind of swamp/alligator tour, but I know I'd just come back covered in mosquito bites and missing a leg where I accidentally stood on an alligator or something stupid.

Don't know when you are cruising but if it is during the winter there won't be a problem with mosquitoes (they are a summer scourge). As far as losing a leg -- don't dangle your feet outside the airboat and you'll be fine! :D

A cab would run you approximately $75 each way.

There is nothing to 'see' at Sawgrass. Either you want to go to shop or avoid it like the plague.

The water taxi is a great way to see Fort Lauderdale because FLL isn't about being seen on land, it is all about the water. And it is a tour.

I've never been to an American mall. I suspect once I got there I'd just think "Oh, it's a big shopping centre", but growing up watching American movies where people go to the mall as a destination in and of itself has made me curious :)

I suspect I'll go with something like the CarrieB, or even the water taxi.

Yes nothing you would see for instance in Dublin Ireland lol. It is basically just one huge mall (one of the biggest in US) with stores, outlets, restaurants, movie theaters, entertainment.. Close to 2 miles of stores. Very popular but for someone that does not like shopping I am not sure if it would give off that "WOW" factor other then first entering and saying "oh wow this is what a huge American mall is" then getting tired of it. Maybe watch a few youtube videos and see if it is really something for you or not.

If it were me and I had a few hours in Lauderdale (9am to 3pm) - I would probably start the morning out with an airboat ride / alligators then go to Los Olas BLVD and A1A which is the area also known as "The Strip".

This area is one side is beach and other side is restaurants, shopping, bars. Then you can walk up Los Olas BLVD which is more shops, resturants, etc on both sides or you can also jump on a water taxi, which will bring you by huge mansions/yachts to see some of the rich and famous houses and plan your afternoon around the different stops that the water taxi makes to a certain restaurant or store.

I am sure whatever you decide you will have a great time :)

Edited by jb456

Significantly more. My house is not far from Sawgrass Mills. My wife had to hop a cab home from FLL airport last week and the fare was $50. Cruse port to Sawgrass would be slightly further. (Interestlingly enough, the county commissioners just caused Uber to pull out of Broward. I used to be able to Uber the airport for under $15.)

Thanks for the links.

I'm debating whether to do an excursion on the FLL turnaround day OR just relax onboard.

Princess has an excursion for the CarrieB. It's 59.00.

Sounds like sharing a cab and then buying a ticket direct is cheaper.

My son lives in Ft Lauderdale area. I was just at Sawgrass a few weeks ago. Frankly it is just a big shopping mall with Palm trees. I was underwhelmed. I wouldn't waste my time.

Our group will be arriving at different times on Dec 24. We will have a whole day in Ft Lauderdale Christmas Day- Dec 25, staying at Best Western Oceanside.

I know the water taxi will not be running Dec 25. The sun trolley said some routes will run, they didn't know which route or times yet.

Anybody know what will be open and what to do for the day?

Our group will be arriving at different times on Dec 24. We will have a whole day in Ft Lauderdale Christmas Day- Dec 25, staying at Best Western Oceanside.

I know the water taxi will not be running Dec 25. The sun trolley said some routes will run, they didn't know which route or times yet.

Anybody know what will be open and what to do for the day?

Spend the day on the beach!! How many people get to spend Christmas Day on a white sand beach with a festive cocktail in their hand gazing out at the azure water?

All of the beach shops and restaurants should be open.