Couple of Questions On Priority Check In - Ft. Lauderdale

sc4125

I've tried to search this before asking, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

My sister & I will be sailing on the Conquest out of Ft Lauderdale/Port Everglades in July. We are both Platinum (she will actually become Platinum on this cruise), and I wondered what the priority check in was like in this port. I know things can happen, but can any of you recent cruisers tell me about what time you got onboard?

We will be driving down from central Florida the night before & staying at a hotel that has a stay/park option. Normally we just get up REALLY early & drive to the port - but we're splurging this time.

So - question - if we get to the port at 10:00, will we be able to check in right away? And, is there a separate area for Platinum/Diamond/FTTF cruisers?

For those that have been out of this port recently, - your thoughts, get there early (around 10:00) or wait til we have to check out of the hotel (11:00) and then get a taxi to the port probably arriving closer to 1130? I just don't want to get there & stand in a line outside. I normally like to arrive early - but don't know if that would be a great idea at this port or not.

Thanks,

Shirley

We've had priority boarding out of Port Everglades on Carnival and another line and think that 10AM may be a bit too early. We normally arrive around 11AM (perhaps a little earlier depending on traffic, etc.) and are usually on board by 11:30 or 11:45 (with priority check-in/boarding).

Yes, there is a separate area for VIP check-in (Platinum, Diamond and FTTF). They even provided water and lemonade for us when we were there in January. We arrived around 9:15am or so and were the first ones to the VIP area. They let us board around 11:15 or so if I remember correctly.

:cool:Bill

We've had priority boarding out of Port Everglades on Carnival and another line and think that 10AM may be a bit too early. We normally arrive around 11AM (perhaps a little earlier depending on traffic, etc.) and are usually on board by 11:30 or 11:45 (with priority check-in/boarding).

However, if you do get there early you will probably be able to check in and then be seated in the area for Platinum/Diamond cruisers. Then you'll be ready to board the ship in the first group of people.

However, if you do get there early you will probably be able to check in and then be seated in the area for Platinum/Diamond cruisers. Then you'll be ready to board the ship in the first group of people.

It may depend on which terminal in FLL the ship is using - one terminal (forget which one) did not have a particularly special area for VIP's and most of us stood around waiting for boarding. We did get on ahead of everyone else but the waiting area was kind of inadequate.

Edit: I believe that Conquest has been using terminal 19 this summer and we've not used that terminal since it was renovated a year or two ago. So it's possible the VIP waiting area is substantial now and possibly worth arriving at the OP's suggested time of 10AM.

Edited by joepeka

I've tried to search this before asking, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

My sister & I will be sailing on the Conquest out of Ft Lauderdale/Port Everglades in July. We are both Platinum (she will actually become Platinum on this cruise), and I wondered what the priority check in was like in this port. I know things can happen, but can any of you recent cruisers tell me about what time you got onboard?

We will be driving down from central Florida the night before & staying at a hotel that has a stay/park option. Normally we just get up REALLY early & drive to the port - but we're splurging this time.

So - question - if we get to the port at 10:00, will we be able to check in right away? And, is there a separate area for Platinum/Diamond/FTTF cruisers?

For those that have been out of this port recently, - your thoughts, get there early (around 10:00) or wait til we have to check out of the hotel (11:00) and then get a taxi to the port probably arriving closer to 1130? I just don't want to get there & stand in a line outside. I normally like to arrive early - but don't know if that would be a great idea at this port or not.

Thanks,

Shirley

We sailed Conquest out of Port Everglades in February so I can tell you exactly how VIP check-in works. :D

I'm always too excited to sleep in on embarkation morning so we left the Embassy Suites on 17th at 8:30. We hailed a cab and took the 10 minutes drive to the port. We arrived at the port by 8:45 and followed the signs to the VIP check-in lines. We were given our Platinum S&S cards and shown to the separate VIP waiting room and, surprisingly, we were not the first ones there, even at 9:00. :eek: (There was water, lemonade and delicious Carnival chocolate chip cookies in the VIP lounge. Yum!) Embarkation started a little after 11:00.

So, yes, arrive at the port early.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the responses. I think we'll just plan on getting there sometime around 10:00 - I don't mind sitting and relaxing while waiting to board - much better than getting there & finding long lines to stand in.

I'm easy to please & will just be thrilled to be boarding a ship I haven't sailed on before!!

You would think after working on the ships years ago, and then cruising the last 10 years or so I'd be so use to boarding that it wouldn't be a thrill - but I've loved every minute I've spent on ships - although I will admit being a passenger is a little better than being a staff member (of course I had a blast back then - oh to be young again sailing the seven seas!!)

We sailed Conquest out of Port Everglades in February so I can tell you exactly how VIP check-in works. :D

I'm always too excited to sleep in on embarkation morning so we left the Embassy Suites on 17th at 8:30. We hailed a cab and took the 10 minutes drive to the port. We arrived at the port by 8:45 and followed the signs to the VIP check-in lines. We were given our Platinum S&S cards and shown to the separate VIP waiting room and, surprisingly, we were not the first ones there, even at 9:00. :eek: (There was water, lemonade and delicious Carnival chocolate chip cookies in the VIP lounge. Yum!) Embarkation started a little after 11:00.

Enjoy!

I was responding before reading this - thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm like you - I'm so excited to get onboard that it's hard to wait. We're staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites which are pretty close to the port - so we'll be getting a taxi even though they have a free shuttle - I don't want to fool around waiting for the shuttle!!

I was responding before reading this - thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm like you - I'm so excited to get onboard that it's hard to wait. We're staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites which are pretty close to the port - so we'll be getting a taxi even though they have a free shuttle - I don't want to fool around waiting for the shuttle!!

You are welcome.

We always go for the taxi because sometimes the shuttles start later than we want, wait to fill up before departing for the port, or are more expensive.

We're actually contemplating Uber for our upcoming trip from the hotel to the Port of Seattle. We've never used Uber so it will be an adventure for us.

Off topic-I noticed your signature says you're in Lakeland FL. We've actually been to Lakeland. My high school friend and his family moved from RI to Lakeland a few years ago. We visited with them after our Dream cruise in April 2012.

Edited by stargate fan

You are welcome.

We always go for the taxi because sometimes the shuttles start later than we want, wait to fill up before departing for the port, or are more expensive.

We're actually contemplating Uber for our upcoming trip from the hotel to the Port of Seattle. We've never used Uber so it will be an adventure for us.

Off topic-I noticed your signature says you're in Lakeland FL. We've actually been to Lakeland. My high school friend and his family moved from RI to Lakeland a few years ago. We visited with them after our Dream cruise in April 2012.

Definitely use Uber! It is faster and cheaper!

Enjoy!

Boy you do like to be early ?? I can think of better things to do to waste 2 hours but to each their own.