MSC Seaside Interior Renderings

Mikesa1721

Just booked an aurea balcony for 3 Mar 2018. I asked for cabin 9059, this shows on my invoice but agent told me that wasn't guaranteed, and I could be assigned a different cabin on check-in? Has anyone else been told this? I've sailed with MSC before and never been told this? Should I be concerned?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Just booked an aurea balcony for 3 Mar 2018. I asked for cabin 9059, this shows on my invoice but agent told me that wasn't guaranteed, and I could be assigned a different cabin on check-in? Has anyone else been told this? I've sailed with MSC before and never been told this? Should I be concerned?

Although I believe that most, if not all, of the cruise lines include in their fine print the fact that they can move you, I have never had an agent warn me that this might happen. With an agent giving that warning, it makes me believe that it is a very real possibility and depends if a better booking comes along. This, for me, is not acceptable behavior on MSC's part. They need to decide which way they are going to fill those cabins--2? 3? 4?--and then stick to it so passengers aren't left in limbo.

We have an aurea aft cabin booked for a BtoB in Feb, 2018. My TA's regional rep originally said that those cabins weren't open to just two passengers, then the rep said we could book 2 grandchildren and then have them as no shows (a stupid way to do business, IMO), and then the rep said, on the third contact from the TA, that headquarters said that a BtoB takes priority over a 3/4 passenger booking. But, from what I have been reading in recent posts, I am now not holding much credence to what the rep is saying and will be totally devastated and furious if we check in and find we no longer have this location.

We've never tried MSC, but from what you have been posting, you (all the MSC cruisiers) usually haven't had this problem on other ships. This would have been the first time we would make the ship the destination--have been to the ports many times so itinerary isn't enticing--but am now wondering if we should just cancel the booking and not take a chance. Am definitely not impressed with this runaround.

This seems to be very odd because when you have paid for a Suite then that is what you expect to get. a Suite and one that you have chosen.

Apart from an upgrade to the YC there is very little that MSC could do to improve a move away from a Suite.

Fairly sure if they moved someone who had a booked Suite to a balcony that all hell would break out, giving you the price difference as obc would not cut it for me.

This seems to be very odd because when you have paid for a Suite then that is what you expect to get. a Suite and one that you have chosen.

Apart from an upgrade to the YC there is very little that MSC could do to improve a move away from a Suite.

Fairly sure if they moved someone who had a booked Suite to a balcony that all hell would break out, giving you the price difference as obc would not cut it for me.

I totally agree with you on this. If I booked an Aurea Suite with balcony (and really want a balcony), moving to something like a YC Inside is NOT an upgrade to me. Those who booked early did so to have their preferred choice of cabin, type and what fits their budget. So MSC should honor their bookings. RCCL as an example does not move you or upgrade you unless you specify such in your preferences. And even with that their are different scenarios on which they may have to contact you. The key thing here as you noted is, is it a real "Upgrade".

What agent? Did you book direct, or with a T/A? Did you ask them what they meant?

This has been covered ad nauseum on a myriad of bulletin boards and threads. As others will say, ALL cruise lines reserve the right to move a passenger. If there is an electrical problem in your room, or a plumbing leak in the stateroom above yours (etc), would you REALLY want to stay there, or would you complain that you were not moved. Hotels, rental car agencies (etc) have similar policies for similar purposes.

Although I believe that most, if not all, of the cruise lines include in their fine print the fact that they can move you, I have never had an agent warn me that this might happen. With an agent giving that warning, it makes me believe that it is a very real possibility and depends if a better booking comes along. This, for me, is not acceptable behavior on MSC's part. They need to decide which way they are going to fill those cabins--2? 3? 4?--and then stick to it so passengers aren't left in limbo.

We have an aurea aft cabin booked for a BtoB in Feb, 2018. My TA's regional rep originally said that those cabins weren't open to just two passengers, then the rep said we could book 2 grandchildren and then have them as no shows (a stupid way to do business, IMO), and then the rep said, on the third contact from the TA, that headquarters said that a BtoB takes priority over a 3/4 passenger booking. But, from what I have been reading in recent posts, I am now not holding much credence to what the rep is saying and will be totally devastated and furious if we check in and find we no longer have this location.

We've never tried MSC, but from what you have been posting, you (all the MSC cruisiers) usually haven't had this problem on other ships. This would have been the first time we would make the ship the destination--have been to the ports many times so itinerary isn't enticing--but am now wondering if we should just cancel the booking and not take a chance. Am definitely not impressed with this runaround.

It's odd that you are quick to castigate a cruise line, despite not knowing exactly what was said, by whom, or why. Why not read the details of your cruise contract ... whether it be MSC, Princess, Holland America, etc. As you will see, MSC clearly indicates they would move the passenger to the same category or higher. You might be surprised to know that not all cruise companies make the latter pledge.

It's odd that you are quick to castigate a cruise line, despite not knowing exactly what was said, by whom, or why. Why not read the details of your cruise contract ... whether it be MSC, Princess, Holland America, etc. As you will see, MSC clearly indicates they would move the passenger to the same category or higher. You might be surprised to know that not all cruise companies make the latter pledge.

Goodness, I'm not "castigating" MSC--I'm expressing concern about what the other poster was told when they booked. Are you warned when you book that it's possible that you will be moved? We never have been given that warning--this warning seems based on the number of people booked in the cabin and not due to possible maintenance issues--I'm well aware of the details in the cruise contract. My problem is the confusion on the number of people that is necessary to book a particular category and if there is the possibility of being moved because a booking of more than two people bumped us out of the cabin we booked--IMO that is not acceptable. Since I'm not familiar with MSC, I was simply expressing my concern and asking for productive input.

Local cruise agent. With sit down appointment who made the booking in front of me so I heard the conversation with MSC. I have been on lots of cruises and know the contract specifies they can change me. I would totally understand if there was fault with my cabin and needed to be moved. But seeing how the ship hasn't been built yet I know this is not the case 🤔

I went with a specific cabin 9059, as far as I know this is a 2 person cabin.

I just thought it was strange that MSC said it was not guaranteed until I got to the port. When others here didn't get same warning when booking specific cabin. MSC didn't say that to me when I booked my previous cruises either?

I'm doing a B2B if that makes any difference

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Read this early today, the panoramic lift goes from Deck 7 to 16.

Just read an interesting article in Cruise Business Review about MSC SEASIDE. The article mentions those aft elevators are indeed express elevators, but that the suites in the aft section will be able to call them to stop on their level. I've included a snapshot of the quote, as well as a great pic of the ship from the article.

32453116463_186bf51240_o.png

================================================================

33111848232_1431915d3f_o.png

Ernie ... Thanks for posting, interesting to hear what has been said regarding the Aft elevators and the cabins.

The deck plans show that they are not accessible from the Aft cabins and show a solid wall, the only openings at at Deck 7 and 16 level.

If the elevators are stopped at the aft cabins then they are no longer express elevators!

Goodness, I'm not "castigating" MSC--I'm expressing concern about what the other poster was told when they booked. Are you warned when you book that it's possible that you will be moved? We never have been given that warning--this warning seems based on the number of people booked in the cabin and not due to possible maintenance issues--I'm well aware of the details in the cruise contract. My problem is the confusion on the number of people that is necessary to book a particular category and if there is the possibility of being moved because a booking of more than two people bumped us out of the cabin we booked--IMO that is not acceptable. Since I'm not familiar with MSC, I was simply expressing my concern and asking for productive input.

I didn't read your post negatively at all. It's true, all lines reserve the right to move you. HOWEVER; based on nothing more than following this MSC forum on cruise critic for the last year, it appears as though MSC does move people more often than other lines. I can think of three people moved prior to embarkation for the sole benefit of MSC (not because there was a problem with the room).. One couple was moved from a cabin that holds 4 because they were only a couple and a family of four wanted to book (YC). Apparently another couple was moved in fantastica so that a family could book 8 cabins together in a row (I've never ever heard of this on the mainstream lines).

I also think that MSC is at a disadvantage trying to streamline all their different web pages. Seems each country offers something slightly different, and inventory is not identical from country to country adding yet another obstacle.

The likelihood of you being moved is minuscule. But in my opinion, there's a greater chance of being moved on MSC compared to the main stream lines.

If the elevators are stopped at the aft cabins then they are no longer express elevators!

I agree! In any case we probably won't know until the ship is in service.

As you know, MSC is not good with accurate information at any stage of the game. It will take actual people onboard and reporting to get the real deal.

Thank you, BermudaBound. I certainly didn't mean to sound negative and am sorry if I did. I am just concerned that we may be moved since we booked with this specific location in mind. I think the ship not only looks gorgeous, but also lots of fun. All the venues are lovely. I'm just unfamiliar with MSC and wonder how likely it will for us to be "bumped". If we arrive to board and find that has happened for booking reasons only, then I'll have plenty of time to get angry. :D:mad::D Maybe we'll know more when the Seaside actually starts sailing.

And, yes, it would be nice if there was more consistency, but it seems like all of the lines have a problem with this, even from ship to ship. It would be nice not to have to play a guessing game or to have to cross your fingers.

Not quite sure what will stop anyone not in an Aft cabin from calling the lift/ elevator cars? Unless like the YC they have a different card or whatever device MSC come up with.

Jcchris ... Thanks for adding the link that eroller mentioned.

Not quite sure what will stop anyone not in an Aft cabin from calling the lift/ elevator cars? Unless like the YC they have a different card or whatever device MSC come up with.

Jcchris ... Thanks for adding the link that eroller mentioned.

I would assume that there will be card readers at the elevator doors and the aft suite guests will have to swipe their cards to get the elevators to stop at their floor when necessary.

It could be any number of things. MSC is developing technology with Samsung that is similar to Carnival Corp announced Ocean Medallion. Wearable devices that take the place of cruise cards and do so much more. It will be on SEASIDE and make its debut on MERAVIGLIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There seems to be more confusion re: the rear lifts then there needs to be. Here is my guess. The lift goes from the bottom pool to the top deck. Quickly. MSC will have an RFID system or something similar in your cruise card, dongle, charm, brooch, wristband, hair-clip or whatever. This will let the lift know if you happen to have an aft cabin. If you do, boom, private aft lift for you which will stop on your floor.

This is assuming, as I believe Sidari pointed out, that there are lift doors on every deck, which is apparently not clear from the deck plans. I'm thinking there will be, mostly because in the event of an evacuation, the ship needs to have as many options available as possible to move people around. In that case, I'm betting that there is a switch in the bridge, probably a software command, that unlocks access to the aft lifts or causes them only to move in a designated manner. (i.e., start at the top, down only, start at top again.)

My other thought is that MSC should just crowd source construction details of the SeaView, to see how well we could do with all these niggling details, as opposed to the paid design and engineering staff they have now.

So is the express elevator goes to and from the sun deck up top to sun deck on bottom, which anyone can use. But YC guests can use it like a normal elevator and stop at different floors?

Is that how it will work?

Kerry,,,,The express elevator will take guests to and from the pool deck on deck 16 to the pool deck on deck 7,,,those pax staying in the aft condo suites will be able to call the elevator and have it stop between those 2 decks,,,hope that clarifys things for you :D

Cuervosar ... The deck plans on the UK site have changed slightly, Deck 7 as I said previous shows access to the Aft lifts/ elevators, Deck 8,9 and 10 show a solid line across the back of them and on Deck 11 to 15 there is no solid line ie no wall! Deck 16 shows access to the lifts/ elevators.

If you look at the deck plans, close to the aft cabins on 15 down to 6 or 5 there is a set of stairs and two openings which appear to be crew lifts/ elevators. These I believe will be the emergency route for cabins in and around the aft area of the ship.