Did I miss it? (Empress)

There are those like knucklehead, who choose a ship for a cruise, and those who choose an itinerary. I don't know how knucklehead can opine with such fanatic certitude that it's the hotel way or the highway. I've been on as many cruises (15+), never the same ship and hardly ever the same cruise line. What's the point of going on the same ship over and over? You might as well go to a cabin in the Wisconsin Dells or gamble in Las Vegas over and over and over... Dull...JMHO!

Anyway, itinerary based cruising has served me well, only missed one port (Key West) on a very cold day, no regrets there. But the kind of problem faced on this cruise, particularly for those who want a little history and archeology, (instead of concentrating on sneaking wine into their cabin!)

does lead to disappointment. Does that mean one should hover in their cabin sipping Thunderbird and not visit different ports? Heck No! Don't go that route! But don't expect to be compensated for life's uncertainties. If the repair records on Princess (or Seabourn for that matter) become unacceptable choose another cruise or another cruise line. Don't let em' beat you.

I guess that the only thing that I can respond to that, sand, is "Pick an attitude, any attitude." :)

Ok, I'm going to repeat what all of us on last week's Empress cruise have said over and over and over and the Pollyannas choose to ignore:

We were perfectly prepared to deal with port changes due to weather, which RCI obviously has no control over. Our port changes were for other reasons. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Joanne

Ok, I'm going to repeat what all of us on last week's Empress cruise have said over and over and over and the Pollyannas choose to ignore:

We were perfectly prepared to deal with port changes due to weather, which RCI obviously has no control over. Our port changes were for other reasons. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Joanne

OK, count me as another Pollyanna. I spent a career in electronics with large equipment with many moving parts when tuning. Nobody has ever done more PM"s (Preventive Maintenance) with diligence than the crews I worked with. But things still broke.

I use to run speed boats and again did top notch maintenace on them and guess what, I had props break.

I've always maintained my own cars starting back in the old days, when you repacked bearings, etc., and was very vigilant and I still had occassional breakdowns.

Parts fail even with the best of care. To blame poor maintenance without proof would be irresponcible. Staff rumors are not proof. Who knows why the prop broke. Could have hit something in the water. Could have had a hairline crack not visible without a scope or light test. But based on what is KNOWN, I can't blame RCI for the problem.

It's a disappointment when something like this happens but it's a part of life and cruising is a part of life. Things do happen beyond anyone's control. I wouldn't like it either, but I wouldn't place blame but just make the best of a bad situation.

Just an update for those of you wondering. I spent about 2 hours today calling TA's including the one I book with. She was very disappointed to hear what happened, agreed that a letter wouldn't hurt, but not to expect anything more than what we got. The reason for me calling so many TA's was to make sure I got the same facts from all of them. Keep in mind I live in Fl. and called here and New England (my TA is there).

Port charges for both ports that we were going to, for 2 people is $238.00. Less than what most of us got.

Like I said, just wanted all to be informed on that...........

I was also on this cruise and was only going to read but justaknucklehead (appropriate name) has been so offensive I had to write

This was my first cruise and we were very unsure if cruising was for us. We loved it ,throughly enjoyed & planning to take another asap. On Royal Carr. Our main complaint was the the horrific vibrations. we were in the back of the ship lower down. We were unable to sleep at times and we had headaches from it. We did choose for the ports. We were disappointed we didnt go to Mexico and the excursions we researched for months. Been to Bahamas , hated Nassau no desire to go back. If we went back we would have gone a cheaper way from home than a cruise. I know s&%t happens. And I personally saw only 1 irate passenger. And yeah, didn't like being told we can barely chug to Nassau & will work on it there can't make it to Mexico, but never worked on it and suddenly had full power to head home.

I am not screaming for a full refund or free cruise. It would have been nice to be offered a discount on future so that we could take a cruise to Mexico we had paid for. The credit was nice it paid the tips , but we had 2 drinks , some $$ left over I bought a couple Xmas gifts.

I think people on the cruise have a right to come here and complain, and unless it has happened to you, some are being too rude and judgemental. I just dont see why this is upsetting the knuckehead and some others. Don't read this thread if it upsets you so badly. Let the people upset with the unfortunate, uncontrollable situation complain to each other. Our bitter, didnt get to go on a vacation, relatives sure don't want to hear about it.

Peace, love, happiness..........let the flaming begin :mad:

We were on the Brilliance of the Seas on its July 23 Mediterranean sailing and didn't get to go to Kusadasi, Turkey (which was the primary reason we chose that itinerary), or Mykonos, Greece. There had been a bus-bombing in Kusadasi a few weeks earlier and a freak 105 mph wind-shear came up in Mykonos which tilted the ship at almost a 45-degree angle and the authorities closed the port. Princess was docked next to us at one of the ports and their passengers told us that they went to Kusadasi anyway. It seemed like half their passengers were upset that their lives were "endangered" and the other half were delighted to see Kusadasi.

We had an extra day in Athens, an extra sea day, and complimentary drinks in all the ship's bars from 5:30 to 7:30 on the Mykonos day.

It never occurred to us to demand a refund of the port charges, or future credit on a cruise, or a shipboard credit. Silly us. We were naive enough to think that when you take a cruise, you're taking it with the understanding that "stuff" can happen and you just put on your Big Girl panties or Big Boy tighty-whities and deal with it.

We were on SeaDream in 2001 just after 9/11 and had our visit to Casablanca, Morocco, cancelled because of the attacks in NYC. Casablanca had been the whole point of taking the cruise. We also had one of the Spanish ports cancelled due to rough water in the docking area, and it rained most of the time we were in Gibraltar. Again, we were naive and innocent and never thought of demanding compensation.

Our other eight cruises have been perfect as far as having no itinerary changes or transportation problems.

We were at a 5-star resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, two years ago and 95 per cent of the people were sick with Montezuma's Revenge for almost the entire week. We even brushed our teeth with bottled water. Were we compensated? Nope, we were too naive and stupid to realize that we should have demanded and screamed for a refund.

Of course, you're going to be disappointed when things on a cruise don't work out, but you can't just dwell on it and let it consume you. You're still on a ship on the water, being treated like royalty and far, far away from the stress and pressures of work and social/family obligations. You're only hurting yourself if you spend the entire time complaining and feeling sorry for yourself.

As Americans, we seem to be becoming more and more prone to a "victim" mentality, along with a "me-first" outlook on life and a feeling of entitlement if anything prevents us from having our way.

If it gets much worse, we'll be hearing people brag about their lawsuits against Blackjack dealers who dealt them a 16, rather than a blackjack, thus "ruining" their vacation.

Allen

If someone's not happy with getting $300 back for a five day cruise, when they GET a five day cruise, why should management TRY to appease them further? They GOT what they paid for - 5 days on a beautiful cruise ship, being waited on hand and foot, PLUS CASH BACK.

But they still weren't happy. Such is human psychology.

What about the NCL Dawn that was hit by the monster wave. They got 50% back off their fare, and 50% toward a future cruise. I was like "WOW" when I saw that, yet, was amazed there were "those" that didn't think that was enough!

As Americans' date=' we seem to be becoming more and more prone to a "victim" mentality, along with a "me-first" outlook on life and a feeling of entitlement if anything prevents us from having our way.

Allen[/quote']

AMEN!!!! It seems like more and more people have the "gimme" mentality.

Too bad.

I write this as a "seasoned" cruiser - 11 cruises to date on RCCL, Celebrity and Princess.

First cruise - Couldn't go to Coco Cay - Water too rough to tender - so they made it a sea day on Soverign - NO ONE got anything or asked for anything.

Third cruise on the Celebrity Horizon - After two cruises on RCCL ships of 70,000 tons and very stable platforms ( wife gets seasick washing dishes)

we joined a bunch of friends on the Horizon - identical itinerary as the Monarch of the Seas the year before. This ship 46,000 tons and 200+ feet shorter was a horror despite great weather. Had to almost be drunk to walk straight. Many people said if it was their first cruise it would be their last.

NO ONE wrote letters or asked for anything - of course we vowed not to return to small ships.

Following year back on the Monarch - lost an engine for a day -

other than seeing 3 wakes instead of 4 nothing changed - got to our nect port on time - No one asked for or got anything

The point is as others have mentioned - IF RCCL knew of a bad prop - NOT fixing it would cost more in the long run - more fuel and maybe a new shaft so why would they disregard it?

Most of the posts I saw were from first time posters or cruisers - maybe their expectations were set too high??

We cruise because we think it is a great value - We cruise RCCL or Celebrity because we are Diamond/Celebrity = does the cruiseline do it right all the time - HELL NO and when they screw up - we tell them about it and we NEVER demand anything - but ya know what more often than not we get comp'd for our next cruise

Just my opinion

I once went on a land trip to Scandinavia; it was a low cost trip set up by some outfit out of Boston, with a lot of seniors travelling. It was laughably inept- broken down buses, crazy accomodations, unknowledgable guides - truly annoying.

We stopped one night, in Oslo I think and stayed at a dorm at the top of a hill. For sone reason, everyone had to walk up it, and for some of the older people it was a real chore.

The funny part was that some of these same people would not hear any criticism; one guy coming out after a truly mediocre meal included in the trip, looked at me and basically leered, and claimed he just had the best whitefish he'd ever eaten. Pathetic.

On these boards it sometimes seems people think they should get a medal for not complaining, and people who do complain are unAmerican or something; while some of the complaints are outlandish, they're not all bad, and rarely do people have an anti cruise or anti cruise line agenda.

By the way, having cruised 15 plus times on smaller ships, I find it incredible that people seem to get routinely sea sick on a 46,000 ton ship; What's with that? I get sick on a yacht on Lake Michigan, but never on a cruise ship in 20 years.

Sandbag7,

I get motion sickness driving 15 miles from my house if I am a passanger. I have to use the transderm patch(thank goodness for that invention). I wish I knew why motion affects me so bad but even if I am sick part of the cruise(even with the patch sometimes), the rest of the cruise experience is more than worth it.

Yes everyone can have an opionion but you have to play by the rules and the rules are itinerary changes as needed by the Captain and specified in all cruise documents.

As for me just put me on a ship where I can make new friends (with a slushy drink in my hand) and I am in heaven.

Be safe everyone

Sabu, I was referring to the suggestion that somehow a 46,000 ton ship would not be as stable as a 70,000 one; can't say I've ever met anyone who got seasick on any ship of that size except in really bad weather conditions. Anyway, other than a placebo effect, I don't think there is any realistic difference in the stability of these two classes.

The suggestion that you need to be on a 70K tonner to feel ok is, to me, amazing. These monsters didn't even exist until a few years ago, and Millions of people have cruised on smaller ones w/o a problem

The funny part was that some of these same people would not hear any criticism; one guy coming out after a truly mediocre meal included in the trip, looked at me and basically leered, and claimed he just had the best whitefish he'd ever eaten. Pathetic.

By the way, having cruised 15 plus times on smaller ships, I find it incredible that people seem to get routinely sea sick on a 46,000 ton ship; What's with that? I get sick on a yacht on Lake Michigan, but never on a cruise ship in 20 years.

Maybe the guy who "leered" after eating the whitefish was an afficionado of whitefish and knew wherewith of that he uttered?

Many people are much more susceptible to seasickness than others. On our Celebrity Horizon trip to Bermuda last October, we were near some tropical storms and well over half the ship's passengers and some of the personnel were seasick. On the first formal night, I was the only person at our table for six who was not sick, and that included my wife.

On the other hand, on my first "cruise" ever, I was on a WWII small Army troop ship from Oakland to Korea, and since I was a lowly private, my job was to clean the metal trays in the galley. We hit rough water right before supper was served and two out of every three trays I had to clean were full of vomitus. I survived that ordeal without getting sick, so I think I can handle about anything. But very few people have cast-iron stomachs, so I don't think it's fair to denigrate those who don't because they are more susceptible to motion sickness.

Allen

Archived