Just off Grandeur of The Seas

I just got off Grandeur on 7/24. Great trip! @ Rrraydon - DH & I are not terribly picky about our coffee, and we found the included coffee to be hit-or-miss. Honestly it was just luck-of-the-draw. One venue, one hour it would be weak & watery, the next hour/venue it was so strong and bitter it was hard to consume and still keep a straight face. About 1/3 the time it was spot-on. It just depended. If we didn't like what we got at the Park cafe, we walked to the WJ and tried what was there. If we didn't like what we got in the MDR, we tried Park, WJ or room service. We just kept trying different avenues until we got our fix ;)

Where there bands playing in the Centrum? Is yes do you know the names of the bands?

Hi , we would like to know also. I know Evergreen is no longer on the Grandeur but is their replacement any good. We like to dance and my wife is afraid this cruise will not be good for that.

Need some reassurance :cool:

Thanks

Did you take advantageous of any of the excursions? If so, what did you do, which did you enjoy? Dislike?

Sailing next Friday August 7th. Haven't got any idea of what to do once we are in port. Traveling with my 19 year old daughter.

thank you.

Is soda, ice tea, water, coffer free at lunch & dinner in MDR and Windjammer?

thanks

Soda is never free.

The free beverages are tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, and juices at breakfast.

Where I come from...I've cruised Grandeur 12 times and have 4 more bookings on her to eagerly look forward to.;):D My home away from home!

grneyes & cruisin4thedeepblue...The last two times I was aboard, the Casablanca Band was playing in the Centrum. Pretty good sound and vocals.

BTW...any skinny on what happened to Evergreen?:confused: Were they fired? Why? Did they leave on their own? This inquiring mind would like to know!

Re coffee...I have never been able to drink the stuff in the MDR.:eek: I find it vile, always way too strong and no amount of additional hot water or milk/cream makes it tolerable for me. I usually find the coffee in the Jammer suitable but on occasion I need to go to the other side of the ship if the urn on my side is too far down to the bottom.;)

Where I come from...I've cruised Grandeur 12 times and have 4 more bookings on her to eagerly look forward to.;):D My home away from home!

Re coffee...I have never been able to drink the stuff in the MDR.:eek: I find it vile, always way too strong and no amount of additional hot water or milk/cream makes it tolerable for me. I usually find the coffee in the Jammer suitable but on occasion I need to go to the other side of the ship if the urn on my side is too far down to the bottom.;)

Hi DB. Agree with you on the coffee. Way too acidic for my taste but it had improved during our last cruise.

My impression was good. The Grandeur is a smaller ship, but good. The food was good. We had my time dining each night and ate lunch and breakfast in the dining room as much as possible. The windjammer Buffett was good too, but we prefer to sit down and be served. We had 2 formal nights, one of those was lobster night. The lobster was very flavorful. No complaints on the food.

The service was average. Not bad and not exceptional. The bar staff was great, once they got to know you. Service in the dining room as average. It is apparent that the servers in my time dining have many, many tables. Overall we were happy.

The entertainment was good. Cruise director Mitch and Activities director TT have a great staff. Saw 2 great comedians and the aerial show in the centrum was neat. There was always something to do and enjoy.

I think the Grandeur is perfect for your first cruise.

I have been on 5 cruises and I liked the Grandeur, but know next time I want a bigger ship.

Your cruise will be what you make of it. We had a blast even though the Grandeur is one of their older ships with less "flashy" amenities.

Don't stress!! Enjoy your trip!!

CD Mitch does a great job, we have enjoyed him in the past several times on other ships. He will be on Grandeur until August 23 and then heading to vacation. Upon his return in October he will be moving to Voyager. TT is the Activity Manager covering for the vacationing Andre Miller, who returns in mid August. Then TT heads on his vacation and will be found on Her Majesty of the Seas in mid October, but returning to Grandeur in mid December.

For those on board -- enjoy!

Space around the pools was plentiful. We had no issues finding chairs.

I didn't use the wifi as I was enjoying being disconnected, but wifi is offered all around the ship. $39.95 for 1 day or $20.00 per day for the entire cruise. ( if you choose the $20.00 per day rate, you will be billed for each remaining day of your cruise.)

Yes the pools are salt water. There are 2 pools on the ship. The open pool and hot tubs for everyone on deck 9 and then the pool and hot tub in the Solarium for those 16 and older.

Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear Grandeur is in good condition.

I just got off Grandeur last Friday. The new Centrum band is fantastic!!! No need to worry at all, they were incredible!! And tons of people dancing. They played every night in the Centrum and always drew a big crowd! Can't remember the name. They said they are from Jamaica. The young lady can really really sing and the guitarist was fantastic!

I just got off Grandeur last Friday. The new Centrum band is fantastic!!! No need to worry at all, they were incredible!! And tons of people dancing. They played every night in the Centrum and always drew a big crowd! Can't remember the name. They said they are from Jamaica. The young lady can really really sing and the guitarist was fantastic!

That's great, but can you tell me if it was a mix of music. We ballroom, so we dance to Foxtrots, Rumbas, Swings, Cha Cha's and such. If they are from Jamaica sounds like they are more a Caribbean band. We love that too, but this band might be more for a younger crowd style of dance.:cool:

Thanks

cruisin4thedeepblue...Email 'web_reservations@rccl.com' and ask the name of the Centrum band on your cruise date. It may take a few days but they will get back to you.;) The group there always plays a variety of music that allows for dancing. On occasion, the pool band will cover a night inside when the regular group has a night off.

Not considered appropriate attire at night in the MDR.

Understood, but appropriate and allowed are two different things. That is why I was asking someone recently aboard. Pics are from Freedom last month

1438368121659.jpg.751786544c22c3fbb00bda679206d24e.jpg

1438368140920.jpg.8ed6bbc6b51944574b74b78e43116a6c.jpg

Cruisin4thedeepblue - it was a wide mix of music, everything from oldies beach music to 70s, 80s, 90s, current stuff, Adele, even a few classic country tunes. She even sang Dolly Parton the last night. Everything. Not Caribbean at all!

Edited by LBeeE

On Grandeur at the end of May... they were turning individuals away that were wearing shorts during dinner. Breakfast and lunch were fine, but after embarkation day, people were turned away from MDR at dinner time for shorts or sleeveless shirts.

cruisin4thedeepblue...Email 'web_reservations@rccl.com' and ask the name of the Centrum band on your cruise date. It may take a few days but they will get back to you.;) The group there always plays a variety of music that allows for dancing. On occasion, the pool band will cover a night inside when the regular group has a night off.

Thanks! That will work!:)