MSC's New Voyager Club

Mikesa1721

Reading some posts this morning from the MSC Facebook groups in Italy,,,MSC has removed the "Cruise Discount Percentages" from the Italian webpage which MAY or MAY NOT indicate that MSC will be changing their minds regarding the 5% discount across the board.

http://www.msccrociere.it/it_it/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Benefici-Soci.aspx

I went to the US site and the percentages still appear there however.

http://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

Edited by Mikesa1721

So just come across this and read through it all.

Not a happy camper at all. Loyalty barely counts at all now. So I lose my 20% discount. Don't care that the dinner with the Caitlin became lunch with any senior crew member and now just a black card party. That had to happen as numbers increased. Still get my fizz and chocolate strawberries and a free visit to the extra fee restaurant. Hmmmm.

I can get more point for booking higher graded cabins but so what I already have nigh to 30,000 of them. Get point on prepaid service also means so what.

Now my points have a use by date - how the heck does that work? Apologies if I've missed this. Do I need to cruise within a certain time period and keep cruising at a certain frequency to retain what I have? Do they deduct points when you get a benefit? Can't figure out how I keep at Balck (not that it matters much now anyway!).

Have one more cruise booked with them. May attempt to find a bargain before this all takes effect. after that, think I may try to get to the top level on Costa!

As I am new to MSC, this won't have much bearing on my Decision to sail past my first scheduled cruise with them, that being said I can totally understand why some if not most are upset by the changes. The whole industry seems to be making big changes in a domino effect, most seem to be slashing loyalty programs of services and replacing them with pay per use or higher fares. My family and I love cruising and will continue to do so, just have to be a better deal hunter

So just come across this and read through it all.

Not a happy camper at all. Loyalty barely counts at all now. So I lose my 20% discount. Don't care that the dinner with the Caitlin became lunch with any senior crew member and now just a black card party. That had to happen as numbers increased. Still get my fizz and chocolate strawberries and a free visit to the extra fee restaurant. Hmmmm.

I can get more point for booking higher graded cabins but so what I already have nigh to 30,000 of them. Get point on prepaid service also means so what.

Now my points have a use by date - how the heck does that work? Apologies if I've missed this. Do I need to cruise within a certain time period and keep cruising at a certain frequency to retain what I have? Do they deduct points when you get a benefit? Can't figure out how I keep at Balck (not that it matters much now anyway!).

Have one more cruise booked with them. May attempt to find a bargain before this all takes effect. after that, think I may try to get to the top level on Costa!

If you don't cruise with MSC again within 36 months of your last disembarkation you lose your club status. So you need to cruise with them at least once every three years.

Pete

If you don't cruise with MSC again within 36 months of your last disembarkation you lose your club status. So you need to cruise with them at least once every three years.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

That aspect is not so bad then.

Got a newsletter from them this morning about it. Needless to say they're trying to sell it as good news. That really annoys me. I get it that with more and more members at higher status and pressure on margins etc, some benefits are no longer sustainable, so they should just day that and not treat us like they're giving us something better to reward our loyalty, were not idiots!

I am only silver so not a lot of change in benefits but if I was black I would be outraged at this. The 36 month thing is really annoying but as the benefits are so low it would definitely not be a reason to book a cruise I didnt want in order to stay a member. On the other hand being Diamond on RCI is still a good perk, so I think I will be spending more time there. Also about to try NCL in October, so plenty of choice out there.

Bea ... It is one thing to put it into print that the discounts are available but what they are not saying is what those discounts are! people who are not happy need to voice their concerns on the MSC facebook page.

I totally agree, Dave. I think Facebook is the way to go - I once had an issue sorted pronto by posting there having waited 6 months for a resolution! Let's hope there'll be a re-think on this. A lot of people cruised regularly with MSC to attain Black and, like yourself, have been let down very badly.

On the subject of the booklet of discounts being provided onboard - it won't be long before we'll find out what they are. I'm sure someone will post the info here when they're rolled out. I have a little under 8 weeks to go to see for myself! The one discount I always availed of was for the laundry so I'm hoping they still have that. I get all the clothes out for ironing on embarkation day which I won't be doing if I've to pay the ridiculous full price for same!

I am only silver so not a lot of change in benefits but if I was black I would be outraged at this. The 36 month thing is really annoying but as the benefits are so low it would definitely not be a reason to book a cruise I didnt want in order to stay a member. On the other hand being Diamond on RCI is still a good perk, so I think I will be spending more time there. Also about to try NCL in October, so plenty of choice out there.

The 36 months idea is only going back to how the system was set up originally.

The cards had a valid until date printed on them. See the card at the bottom left of the five cards in the image

c5af959e-a2e0-48ae-92be-bff32e46a57f.jpg

Pete

The 36 months idea is only going back to how the system was set up originally.

The cards had a valid until date printed on them. See the card at the bottom left of the five cards in the image

Pete

It's one of the changes that makes sense. However, with the erosion of benefits - especially at Black level, there are less incentives to stay loyal to MSC. One cruise every three years to retain the level is fair enough.

Have you noticed that points now have a "USE BY DATE" (as they had in the beginning)

Where did you see that?

That is really important.

36 months is very very short, will they remove all the points older then 36 months or will they remove them only if you forgot to travel with them for 36 months?

The way the text is formulated it looks like the points will be deleted automaticly after 36 months.

Where did you see that?

That is really important.

36 months is very very short, will they remove all the points older then 36 months or will they remove them only if you forgot to travel with them for 36 months?

The way the text is formulated it looks like the points will be deleted automaticly after 36 months.

See post #23 of this thread

It was on the question and answer section on tthe MSC UK web site

If you don't cruise with them for 36 months you'll lose your status and have to start again from the beggining, well that's how read it.

Pete

Bea ... It is one thing to put it into print that the discounts are available but what they are not saying is what those discounts are! people who are not happy need to voice their concerns on the MSC facebook page.

What is the facebook link where we can complaint?

If I understand this correctly, no points will be awarded for cruises booked as specials. This will make it almost impossible to collect many points going forward.

To summarize:

- massive devaluation of the loyalty program

- higher service charge

- less advantageous terms for kids

- less advantageous terms for solos

while massive additional capacitiy is coming online across the market. Interesting times ahead!

Bea ... I have asked a few questions on the MSC FB page, the latest one regarding the benefits book, here is the response. Two other people have also made comments.

"Exact discounts will differ from ship to ship, destination to destination and cruise to cruise. More information will be available at the time of booking."

So no across the board % discounts ! the above does not make sense and to be honest looks like they could not care less about loyal passengers.

I checked out my Captains circle level on Princess with whom we sailed in 2008 and 2009, my benefits are still there and still available, the same goes for RCI who we last sailed with in 2011, taking away club membership after 3 years is yet another insult to loyal cruisers.

Sebastienbo ... just go to the MSC FB page UK.

Edited by sidari

Bea ... I have asked a few questions on the MSC FB page, the latest one regarding the benefits book, here is the response. Two other people have also made comments.

"Exact discounts will differ from ship to ship, destination to destination and cruise to cruise. More information will be available at the time of booking."

So no across the board % discounts ! the above does not make sense and to be honest looks like they could not care less about loyal passengers.

I checked out my Captains circle level on Princess with whom we sailed in 2008 and 2009, my benefits are still there and still available, the same goes for RCI who we last sailed with in 2011, taking away club membership after 3 years is yet another insult to loyal cruisers.

I think this new Voyagers Club is going to be a complete fiasco! They've made what was a very simple, straightforward, awards scheme into a complex web with far too many vagaries and inconsistencies! What ever possessed MSC to come up with such a convoluted system :confused:

Celebrity have brought out a new sales promotion with inclusions that affect the perks that their loyal customers received at the top tiers - effectively having them pay for perks they were already entitled to! Needless to say, X's loyal customers are feeling the same way as MSC's.

I think this new Voyagers Club is going to be a complete fiasco! They've made what was a very simple, straightforward, awards scheme into a complex web with far too many vagaries and inconsistencies! What ever possessed MSC to come up with such a convoluted system :confused:

Celebrity have brought out a new sales promotion with inclusions that affect the perks that their loyal customers received at the top tiers - effectively having them pay for perks they were already entitled to! Needless to say, X's loyal customers are feeling the same way as MSC's.

Completely agree.

This idea of additional discounts on selected cruises is so vague. I don't want them to decide for me which cruise I'd like. I want to pick the cruise I want on the ship I want with the itinerary I want and the dates that suit me. Before my discount was my discount at 20% simple. It was worked in to the online booking system. Now, who knows when they will say which cruises they will allow this additional discount and which cruises it will be available on. Is it going to be close to sailing dates as a means to try and offload some unsold cabins?

Off to have a rant on their FB page!

Completely agree.

This idea of additional discounts on selected cruises is so vague. I don't want them to decide for me which cruise I'd like. I want to pick the cruise I want on the ship I want with the itinerary I want and the dates that suit me. Before my discount was my discount at 20% simple. It was worked in to the online booking system. Now, who knows when they will say which cruises they will allow this additional discount and which cruises it will be available on. Is it going to be close to sailing dates as a means to try and offload some unsold cabins?

Off to have a rant on their FB page!

Oh how I wish I could access MSC Cruises UK Facebook page,,,,their has been no blow back on MSC Cruises USA Facebook page "YET"!!!!

If I understand this correctly, no points will be awarded for cruises booked as specials. This will make it almost impossible to collect many points going forward.

To summarize:

- massive devaluation of the loyalty program

- higher service charge

- less advantageous terms for kids

- less advantageous terms for solos

while massive additional capacitiy is coming online across the market. Interesting times ahead!

I agree.

Vote with your wallet I say.

Annie

I have posted on the other thread re the number of points for cruises over 10 nights only being given the same as those for 10 nights! another Scam in my book!

Looks like my post has gone from their FB page.

Edited by sidari

I have posted on the other thread re the number of points for cruises over 10 nights only being given the same as those for 10 nights! another Scam in my book!

Looks like my post has gone from their FB page.

Reading through the comments on MSC UK's FB page,,,,A whole lot of angry loyal guests!!! Somehow I don't think a discount booklet is going to appease everyone!!!

Mike ... One issue is different amount on different ships and sailing in different areas! talk about making things more difficult.

More people need to post on their FB page to let them know that these changes are backwards and not Forward.

Mike ... One issue is different amount on different ships and sailing in different areas! talk about making things more difficult.

More people need to post on their FB page to let them know that these changes are backwards and not Forward.

I thought the chart that was posted was for all ships in all regions?? Is there a different point structure other than what has been posted on page 1 of this thread Sidari??

How are your points calculated if you have sailed twice before they started the Experiences?

MSC will take your current points and multiply them by 100. I currently have 15 points, so under the new program,,I'll have 1,500.

I have today received my email advising me of the new (and improved???) MSC Voyager Club and, after reading through, I have noticed a couple of changes not yet mentioned.

One question I have not found an answer for is the question of back to back cruises. I am assuming that as we are doing two 11 night cruises in Bella we will get 1,400 points each?

To get to black quicker, my husband has been accumulating the points for onboard spending while I have only been accumulating points for nights cruising. So my husband is currently gold while I am still silver. While it is good that we will now get points for prebooking and prepaying our Allegrissimo package, the points will be allocated equally to all cabin club members

"Expenses for on board services pre-paid before the cruise which apply to

all cabin occupants (and not single occupants) will be equally distributed amongst the cabin occupants."

"At the end of the cruise, points given for onboard expenses will be applied on board only to the MSC Voyagers Club member making the final payment."

This can make a difference between doing just one more cruise, rather than two, to reach Black. I realise that you pay the service fee when booking the package at embarking but, at current exchange rates (NZD45/EURO28) it would be worth paying a little more instead of paying for another cruise.

Of course once we reach Black, there will no longer be a need to worry about accumulating points, so it will just be the discount and the expiry of our points to think about. Personally, I think it is good that they have an expiry date for the points. This truly does reward MSC loyal cruisers. And if it makes it more difficut for the not so regular MSC cruisers to reach Black, then it must make the current Black card members more exclusive.

I think the other on-board benefits of being a Black card member will be contained in the booklet that you get in your room on embarkation. I think it will still contain the laundry discounts, restaurant discounts etc. It will be interesting to hear from the first cruisers who get to see this booklet.

"The On board Special Offers booklet features a set of offers and discounts on selected products and services offered on board"

There has also been a lot of talk about Black card losing the 20% discount but that is not how I read it.

"On selected cruise departures we have superb deals just for members that can save you up to 15%. Stay up to date by visiting the website to discover the full list! From Silver to Black, in addition to the discount, a $50 onboard credit is also provided (per adult aged over 18). The 5% Club booking discount is combinable with the Voyages Selection discount."

Does that not mean a possible 20% discount? Of course it is still not as good as having an across the board 20% discount. As it has already been pointed out, when cost is a factor for many of us when choosing a cruise, we are being restricted in our decision by which cruises MSC deigns to give the bigger discount.

I think this is an interesting thread and am looking forward to reading others thoughts :)

So for our 22 night cruise that we have already booked, we will share the approximate 900 points. However, if we wait and book the package on embarking, my husband will get the benefit of the on-board spend.