MSC's New Voyager Club

Mikesa1721

No matter how you look at this new scheme there's nothing positive in it for MSCs loyal customers, only for MSC!! The three year expiry introduction will be the only "incentive" for me to book so that I can keep my Black level - and with the benefits being reduced, even that may not be enough!

Agreed, that in your situation it's worthwhile keep things current, given the effort and cost you've put in to get to that point.

Things often go in cycles, as they realise they need to boost their program to attract customers. They may well add some benefits back to Black (or above) in some time.

You have a fair point there. It'll be up to Australians to make their views known to MSC. We're all impacted in different ways.

No matter how you look at this new scheme there's nothing positive in it for MSCs loyal customers, only for MSC!! The three year expiry introduction will be the only "incentive" for me to book so that I can keep my Black level - and with the benefits being reduced, even that may not be enough!

As I have bookings that'll take me to 2017 with the 20% discount I don't feel impacted by the changes just yet. But I still think MSC have got this badly wrong and will be under tremendous pressure to reconsider.

Well that's you sorted until 2020. :):)I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as I have a September 2017 cruise booked.:p:p

Pete

Agreed, that in your situation it's worthwhile keep things current, given the effort and cost you've put in to get to that point.

Things often go in cycles, as they realise they need to boost their program to attract customers. They may well add some benefits back to Black (or above) in some time.

So far every time they have introduced changes they have been detrimental to the existing membership without adding any enhancements to the then existing levels; and never have they reversed any decision. Until now, when they have reintroduced the three year rule, They could reverse that one without any problem at all.

i've been a member since the club was first formed so have seen all the changes and how they affected the then membership.

Pete

Well that's you sorted until 2020. :):)I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as I have a September 2017 cruise booked.:p:p

Pete

You did well to get that booking before the reduced discount ;)

It was pure chance that I made the bookings that I have now. The Meraviglia inaugural week encompasses DH's birthday so I didn't need much convincing for that one!

I was looking for a late Spring 2016 cruise when I saw the East Med on offer - an itinerary I wanted to do again, at a very attractive price, too! I called the TA to book it and in the course of conversation I mentioned that I had the Sinfonia repo for Oct 2016 in my sights. She advised I book it then as it's a very popular itinerary. I took her advice - I'm sooooo glad I did, now. The savings on my 3 recent bookings with the 20% discount vis a vis the new 5% discount are actually covering the cost of the April trip with air fare and a little over for OBS!!!!! :D

So far every time they have introduced changes they have been detrimental to the existing membership without adding any enhancements to the then existing levels; and never have they reversed any decision. Until now, when they have reintroduced the three year rule, They could reverse that one without any problem at all.

i've been a member since the club was first formed so have seen all the changes and how they affected the then membership.

Pete

Were any of the previous changes as extreme as these? The one I remember is the priority boarding for members being changed to Black card level only.

Were any of the previous changes as extreme as these? The one I remember is the priority boarding for members being changed to Black card level only.

No, it's been more of a gradual erosion over time, nothing as drastic as this time. When they introduced Black, gold benefits dropped but at least then if you did not immediately have enough for black, you had the incentive to keep booking and spending onboard to get really meaningful benefits.

Now if they had come out with a fifth level that had some decent stuff, then I might have been slightly more appeased. As it is, completely hacked off with them.

Time is a running out, so I need to get down to it and find at least one cruise for late 2016 and/or 2017 and make the most of my final days of 20% . I'm a bit conflicted though, because part of me also is thinking why give them more business when they treat their loyal passengers with such contempt.

No, it's been more of a gradual erosion over time, nothing as drastic as this time. When they introduced Black, gold benefits dropped but at least then if you did not immediately have enough for black, you had the incentive to keep booking and spending onboard to get really meaningful benefits.

Now if they had come out with a fifth level that had some decent stuff, then I might have been slightly more appeased. As it is, completely hacked off with them.

Time is a running out, so I need to get down to it and find at least one cruise for late 2016 and/or 2017 and make the most of my final days of 20% . I'm a bit conflicted though, because part of me also is thinking why give them more business when they treat their loyal passengers with such contempt.

I feel the same way. There's no incentive to accumulate extra points. Had MSC introduced a new tier, we'd at least have something to aim for. They've taken away the pleasure of being at Black level!

Here is a potted history of the benefits. I've only mentioned what IMHO are the major changes

AS far as I recall the Club was started in 2006 or 2007 and the benefits were quite few in number and remained unchanged for a couple of years and were as listed in the 2009 list.

Then in 2010 the BLACK CARD was introduced and additional benefits for Black added eg champagne and strawberries, robes and slippers

Notice there were big discounts on shore excursions, up to 20% for Black

By 2012 DISCOUNTS on EXCURSIONS were DELETED (a big change especially for BLACK); in came priority boarding (for all members), and discount on the mini-bar (all members) and priority tendering (BlacK Card)

By 2014 priority boarding was for black only (downgrading all others). the club pin became for GOLD only, up till then SILVER, GOLD and BLACK got them

So these are the benefits in OCT 2009

MSC%20CLUB_2009.jpg

So these are the benefits in OCT 2010

MSC%20CLUB_2010.jpg

So these are the benefits in OCT 2012

MSC%20CLUB_2012A.jpg

MSC%20CLUB_2012B.jpg

So these are the benefits in OCT 2014

MSC%20CLUB_2014.jpg

Edited by Skier52

Great stuff, Pete.

I began sailing with MSC in 2011 so a lot of the changes had been instigated before then.

We knew that, as more and more reach the Black level, the benefits would be reduced. However, this overhaul is a dog's dinner!!

The points allocated depending on cruise length and "Experience" booked is a joke!! An Inside Fantastica booking will qualify for more points than a Bella balcony one although it costs LESS!! Are they trying to increase bookings for insides :confused:

And where are the incentives for Black level other than to cruise once every three years to retain the status? Who would want to book a cruise by feeling compelled to do so rather than from choice? I can see a lot of resentment flowing from this particular coercive "incentive"!

There is nothing in these new benefits to indicate that MSC values loyalty!!

Am I reading this correctly???? 100 points if I PRE-PURCHASE $150.00 of on-board packages or services before the cruise? So we don't have to reserve then pay once we board in order to receive points???

Correct, Mike! Makes sense, too! About the only thing that does!

Correct, Mike! Makes sense, too! About the only thing that does!

Thanks Bea!!! Looks as if the 5% graphic was removed from the MSC Cruises USA benefits page and now kind of hidden under a new link called MSC VOYAGERS CLUB DISCOUNT.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%209.32.30%20AM_zps9h0cwojz.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%209.32.51%20AM_zpso67kc0zz.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%209.33.24%20AM_zps1emgwjv3.png

Edited by Mikesa1721

Will be interesting to see if the 15 % discount on selected sailings also include our favorite, the YC.

I would imagine there will be offers on YC as there has been up 'til now. Whether they'll be for less desirable itineraries or times of the year and be 15% discounted or less, remains to be seen!

I like the promotion on the Italian MSC Facebook page,,,

BACK OFFER HAPPY BIRTHDAY. TAKE ADVANTAGE NOW!

Exclusively for you, that your birthday from June 1 to September 30, a special gift from MSC Cruises.

We offer you the possibility of going on a cruise in the winter in the Mediterranean not paying your share * cruise.

We could make a better gift?

For a cruise as a birthday gift just book by July 31

See the dates when the promotion is valid, and went to travel agency to book!

http://www.msccrociere.it/it_it/MSC/Buon-compleanno-Crociere-Mediterraneo-MSC.aspx

I like the promotion on the Italian MSC Facebook page,,,

BACK OFFER HAPPY BIRTHDAY. TAKE ADVANTAGE NOW!

Exclusively for you, that your birthday from June 1 to September 30, a special gift from MSC Cruises.

We offer you the possibility of going on a cruise in the winter in the Mediterranean not paying your share * cruise.

We could make a better gift?

For a cruise as a birthday gift just book by July 31

See the dates when the promotion is valid, and went to travel agency to book!

Both my DH's birthday AND mine fall between those dates. I wonder if I relocated to Italy would we get a free cruise together - each travelling with the other by combining the "not paying your share" offer :D:D

Joking aside, it would be nice to see quirky offers like that for ALL of MSCs markets.

Both my DH's birthday AND mine fall between those dates. I wonder if I relocated to Italy would we get a free cruise together - each travelling with the other by combining the "not paying your share" offer :D:D

Joking aside, it would be nice to see quirky offers like that for ALL of MSCs markets.

Here's our current promotion here in the US.

msc_cruises_allin_summer_sm.jpg

https://video-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtp1/v/t42.1790-2/11712823_10153408514574892_1113743137_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYyMSwicmxhIjo2NjMsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoicmVzXzQyNl9jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfc2QifQ%3D%3D&rl=621&vabr=345&oh=13e7ab80fa9a3a2bf8dea1e253df7624&oe=55A3EA26

Here's our current promotion here in the US.

They'll be offering a lot more than that in the US if the brand becomes tarnished as a result of the erosion of loyalty benefits :rolleyes:

There are a few offers here with drinks packages included - mainly for sailings in the Med in winter :eek:

I wasn't keen when I saw all-inclusives being introduced - it reduced the amount you'd spend onboard to qualify for points. It doesn't apply to my current bookings and I've also become disillusioned with the new Voyagers Club benefits - the way I'm feeling at the moment, I couldn't care less about accruing more points - sad, but true!

They'll be offering a lot more than that in the US if the brand becomes tarnished as a result of the erosion of loyalty benefits :rolleyes:

There are a few offers here with drinks packages included - mainly for sailings in the Med in winter :eek:

I wasn't keen when I saw all-inclusives being introduced - it reduced the amount you'd spend onboard to qualify for points. It doesn't apply to my current bookings and I've also become disillusioned with the new Voyagers Club benefits - the way I'm feeling at the moment, I couldn't care less about accruing more points - sad, but true!

I know Bea!!! I'm just a lowly Classic member,,but was hoping to reach Gold, if not Black before MSC Seaside arrives just to get a better price on a YC stateroom for her inaugural sailing from Miami. I guess Ill have to work a little harder and save a little bit more now!!!

I know Bea!!! I'm just a lowly Classic member,,but was hoping to reach Gold, if not Black before MSC Seaside arrives just to get a better price on a YC stateroom for her inaugural sailing from Miami. I guess Ill have to work a little harder and save a little bit more now!!!

I got my 20% discount off the YC booking on the Meraviglia inaugural in the nick of time AND got to use my €10 voucher for €400 OBC as it was an Early Booking Rate :cool:;):rolleyes::p:D:D

I got my 20% discount off the YC booking on the Meraviglia inaugural in the nick of time AND got to use my €10 voucher for €400 OBC as it was an Early Booking Rate :cool:;):rolleyes::p:D:D

Fortunately for you Bea!!!!! Unfortunately for me,,MSC Seaside won't be available to book until November,,

Bea ... There is no reason for you or anyone on a Black card to collect points, in fact there is little to no incentive for me on Gold and just 8 points short of Black to collect them either!

It is ridiculous that someone who books two 7 night cruises will get more points than someone doing an 18,19 or 20 plus night cruise ... :eek: However much MSC try to dress up these changes it is still a pile of !

Bea ... There is no reason for you or anyone on a Black card to collect points, in fact there is little to no incentive for me on Gold and just 8 points short of Black to collect them either!

It is ridiculous that someone who books two 7 night cruises will get more points than someone doing an 18,19 or 20 plus night cruise ... :eek: However much MSC try to dress up these changes it is still a pile of !

Hi Sidari

I completely agree with what you say.

Can anyone recall MSC reacting positively to complaints from their loyal clientele before?

I was considering another cruise but I have voted with my wallet and will be revisiting South Africa instead.

If I have cruised with MSC for the last time so be it.

Annie