Best food in Midtown Manhattan

blusun

Rockefeller Center is directly across Fifth Avenue from St Patrick's. You can take the subway from Rockefeller Center to Times Square. It is very doable to walk but if you have walking problems take subway. After Times Square you can take the subway or walk to Empire State Building. Not far from Empire State Building is the Path Entrance next to JC Penneys. Now when I say not far, that is for the average person. If one has mobility issues then maybe a door to door tour or cabbing it door to door would be better. Remember that finding an elevator or escalator in the subways is not easy. So going up and down flights of steps is necessary also.

The steps should not pose a problem. We live in a two story house and laundry room is in the basement so I'm up and down steps quite a bit.

If I can distance things out, like I was able to do with Battery Park and 911, I'll know exactly how far is close enough or too far.

So far, I have a Streetwise map of Manhattan.

The streets appear to be flat, unlike the streets in Europe with all those inclines. Some of those can be a bit difficult. I don't think cabbing it door to door will be necessary.

I really appreciate all of the great advice everyone is posting.

Another place 2 blocks from battery park is Frances Tavern ( where George Washington gave farewell address) , I worked across the street from this place for 10 years and only went to it couple of months ago, that's also a nice place for drink and you can get lunch there also. Trinity church as mentioned is interesting it has a cemetery that has people from Revolutionary war

Frances Tavern sounds like a plan. How are prices? I've read avoid eating in the Theatre District because the prices are really jacked up

Which church has the two bells on top that was in the movie, Silver Bells? I've done a search and come up blank.

FYI, you're unlikely to be able to take a taxi back to Jersey City. NY City taxis are not required to take you to NJ, with the exception of trips to EWR. If you could find a taxi willing to make the trip the fare would not be regulated and the taxi driver may try to get you to agree to an outrageously high fare.

If you need a car to get you back to Jersey City, you should contact one of the car services such as Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com or Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com . Another possibility is Uber, if you have their app.

I know Hoboken Taxi will take us from Jersey City but will have to see if they would return us and the cost is fair. It's like $15.00.

Sorry for all the extra posts but the answering multiple quotes has not worked for me. :o :o

Frances Tavern sounds like a plan. How are prices? I've read avoid eating in the Theatre District because the prices are really jacked up

Which church has the two bells on top that was in the movie, Silver Bells? I've done a search and come up blank.

From the IMDb Message board - It is the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Pasadena, CA.

I know Hoboken Taxi will take us from Jersey City but will have to see if they would return us and the cost is fair. It's like $15.00.

Sorry for all the extra posts but the answering multiple quotes has not worked for me. :o :o

Does that quote include the tunnel toll? It sounds very low.

Not sure of food cost at Frances tavern we just had a couple of drinks and cost was not bad. There are several places in Theatre District that are not bad, try Becco's on restaurant row on 46th and 9th can get a great pasta dinner for about 20 and can get a good bottle of wine for 29, there is a whole page of wines and everything on the page was 29 a bottle. Not sure about Silver Bells.

I'm going to add my voice of disbelief to the $15 quote...and it sure as heck isn't going to include tolls because the cash toll is $14 and the cheapest possible (EZ Pass) toll is $9.75.

It's unlikely that they would have the necessary licenses and insurance to pick up a passenger in NY. Of course they could be doing it illegally, figuring they're unlikely to be caught.

By the way, I found this page on taxi licensing from the City of Hoboken's website. http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/transportation-parking/taxi-limousine-licensing/

It includes maximum fares to numerous locations including two in NY City. I realize these are maximum, not minimum fares, and your ride is originating in Jersey City, not Hoboken, but there's virtually no chance they're going to charge a significant amount less...likely not even a dollar less. Also note that tolls are to be added to these fares:

NEW YORK CITY

Penn Station $40.00 plus tolls

Grand Central Station $45.00 plus tolls

Edited by njhorseman

Hmmmmm...no mention of a tunnel toll and I specifically asked about tolls..I was given a rate without tips. I did not have the time to call the hotel about taxis today and Hoboken taxi did not say they would pick me up in NY...I was wondering if they would.

I did ask if they were Uber....the reply was "no Uber".

I had no idea there was a tunnel toll, so thanks for alerting me to this. Hoboken does does claim on their website they beat all other rates. Guess one can "claim" anything. :mad: :rolleyes:

Edited....they are not on the list. :eek:

Edited by midwestchick

Hmmmmm...no mention of a tunnel toll and I specifically asked about tolls..I was given a rate without tips. I did not have the time to call the hotel about taxis today and Hoboken taxi did not say they would pick me up in NY...I was wondering if they would.

I did ask if they were Uber....the reply was "no Uber".

I had no idea there was a tunnel toll, so thanks for alerting me to this. Hoboken does does claim on their website they beat all other rates. Guess one can "claim" anything. :mad: :rolleyes:

Edited....they are not on the list. :eek:

Uber is a smartphone ride hailing app, not a taxi company.

We did Uber a few times in NYC and we do it once in a while in Dallas. There are several types of Uber cars with different rates, most expensive is Black which is normally a real nice town car or new SUV, cannot remember other types. Avoid black if you want to save some money.

$15? Are you sure they didn't say $50? I would've guessed $50. I know so many people who either worked in NYC, or just went for the night. Who stayed out too late, too many drinks, and would try to get a few folks needing to get back to NJ to pool their funds to have enough money to make it worth it for a cab driver. Never cheap!

You can take the subway from Rockefeller Center to Times Square.

Not exactly, the subway stop at Rockefeller Center is "47th -50th Street Rockefeller Center" on the 6th Ave B/D/F/M Line and the 42nd Street Stop on this 6th Ave subway is "42nd Street Bryant Park" not the Times Square Stop. Yes it is walkable but you do not exit in Time Square which runs from the west 8th Ave to the East and Broadway. 6th Ave 42nd Street Bryant Park is one more block over with only transfer to the #7 not the 1/2/3/7/N/Q/R/A/C/E you find at Times Square Stop.

Another twist is at 47th/50th Street stop on the downtown platform for those traveling further downtown past 34th Street the local trains stop on the center track with the express trains against the wall due to the way the line comes from the upper west side and/or Queens to the east.

This tends to confuse tourist but not an issue if only going one or two stops south or downtown as there are no local stops until south of 34th Street.

Next downtown stop the trains return to the normal express middle/local against the wall (or crawl the wall in TA talk).

FWIW

$15? Are you sure they didn't say $50? I would've guessed $50. I know so many people who either worked in NYC, or just went for the night. Who stayed out too late, too many drinks, and would try to get a few folks needing to get back to NJ to pool their funds to have enough money to make it worth it for a cab driver. Never cheap!

It was an e-mail and he said $15.00. I sent him an e-mail last night and told him he never mentioned a tunnel toll. I did not hear back from him.

The trains sound like a bit of a challenge. I'll have to get all of our routes figured out. If I buy a pass, will it also work on the light rail?

Edited by midwestchick