Dress code for hubby!

Mateybubbles

Hi everyone, my husband and I are taking our first cruise with Cunard on 16th November with my parents.

I am aware of the basic dress code whereby my husband must wear a jacket to dinner each evening which is fine. I just wondered if he had to wear a tie every night too? He has a bow tie to wear on formal nights with his tux but he was hoping not to wear a tie every night (this feels restrictive for him as he has some issues with swallowing etc due to a brain injury)

Also I read that the men are allowed to wear black jeans on some evenings-do you think hubby would get away with really dark blue denim with a nice shirt and blazer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Matey bubbles, yes your husband can go to evening meals without a tie, however never in Jeans/denim. On formal nights everybody wears tux/bow tie so you wouldn't want to be different in any way. Get a slightly large neck for hubby and a elastic bow tie so he's more comfortable. If you don't eat in the main dining room then he can dress more relaxed & could get away with black denim & a shirt/jacket. There is a rule that wearing denim restricts lots of areas that they like you to attend after 6pm. Happy cruising. Feel free to ask more questions

straight from the CUNARD FAQ page:

Evening attire is effective from 6pm. Dressing up elegantly for dinner is one of the great thrills of a Cunard Vacation, yet we also want our passengers to feel relaxed. So each evening our dress code will either be formal or informal, details for which can be found on your Voyage Personaliser at vp.cunard.com. The evening dress code will also be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme, which is delivered to your stateroom each day.

On formal nights, passengers wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar. Please be respectful by avoiding the more formal areas of the ship, including our Alternate Dining restaurants.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts, blue or worn denim (for men and women), sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within any of the ship’s public areas.

FORMAL: Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen’s formal wear is available to hire on board. Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

INFORMAL: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or stylish separates for ladies. No jeans or shorts.

during our recent west bound TA I did see staff telling "improperly dressed folks" that they were not welcome in the lounges after 6 ... I didn't see anyone try to "bust the rules" in the dining room . . .

I did see the staff being pretty liberal with what they accepted as a "tie", even on formal nites . . . if there was some form of a neck ornament it passed!

I did see some black Levis with a sport coat on informal nites .... how dark does blue have to be to pass for black???? This was one or two tho .... in general the pass' seemed to either have no problem playing by the 'rules' and either dressed according to the code or stayed in the areas where they were welcome.

Edited by Capt_BJ

On formal nights everybody wears tux/bow tie...

Not true. I am diamond level having sailed with Cunard more than fifty times. I have never worn a tux nor a bow tie on any of my sailings. However, I do abide by Cunard's dress code and wear a dark suit on formal nights.

You both look very smart!

In other news, Lewis Hamilton was turned away from the Royal Box at Wimbledon today for not abiding by the dress code.

He was turned away for not wearing a jacket, tie and shoes, having arrived in a bright floral shirt and a hat.

His spokesperson said: "Due to a misunderstanding over dress code, he is disappointed to have missed the final."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33501951

Hi everyone, my husband and I are taking our first cruise with Cunard on 16th November with my parents.

/QUOTE]

Hi Matey

Is this the Canaries & Madeira trip? if so, we have a Roll Call running and it would be nice to have you join.

Stewart

I am aware of the basic dress code whereby my husband must wear a jacket to dinner each evening which is fine. I just wondered if he had to wear a tie every night too? He has a bow tie to wear on formal nights with his tux but he was hoping not to wear a tie every night (this feels restrictive for him as he has some issues with swallowing etc due to a brain injury)

Also I read that the men are allowed to wear black jeans on some evenings-do you think hubby would get away with really dark blue denim with a nice shirt and blazer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

shorts are fine for the day(Betty Grable should have such nice legs LOL!)Tie can be worn only on semi formal nights if he wishes. Elegant Casual just requires the jacket minus a tie.

Hello Matey bubbles, yes your husband can go to evening meals without a tie, however never in Jeans/denim. On formal nights everybody wears tux/bow tie so you wouldn't want to be different in any way.

"different in any way" - it's not a uniform, I don't work at McDonald's.

I have never worn a bow tie or tuxedo on a Cunard ship. We always eat in the MDR.

Ignore the claptrap, read Cunard's requirements. The ship belongs to Cunard.

Last year,one of our tablemates[QG].wore each night a most spectacular shirt/jacket.Embroidered or of beautiful material,getting grander and more elaborate as the cruise went on.

I believe he had a problem,wearing a tie after medical treatment and opted for a looser fitting collar style.

I must say that there was never a comment and he certainly outshone many others on the formal nights.

Thanks so much for all the replies, they were very helpful.

I think hubby will go for his tux and bow tie on formal nights and shirt and jacket without a tie on the other evenings.

We will ditch the denim unless it's during the day :)

/QUOTE]

Hi Matey

Is this the Canaries & Madeira trip? if so, we have a Roll Call running and it would be nice to have you join.

Stewart

Hi Stewart, yes it's the canaries cruise, I'll have a wee look on the roll call :)

Thanks so much for all the replies, they were very helpful.

I think hubby will go for his tux and bow tie on formal nights and shirt and jacket without a tie on the other evenings.

We will ditch the denim unless it's during the day :)

Sounds perfect, have a great time.

Not true. I am diamond level having sailed with Cunard more than fifty times. I have never worn a tux nor a bow tie on any of my sailings. However, I do abide by Cunard's dress code and wear a dark suit on formal nights.

I've seen Cornus on formal evenings and he "cleans" up quite nicely and to me shows respect to his fellow travelers with a dark suit and tie.

• 3 weeks later...

My DH always wears a dark suit and tie on formal nites. Other nites he wears dress slax,navy blazer and sometimes a tie-other times note.

He did not stand out as odd- our table mates wore the same