Dress Code - Dining - NEED HELP!!

We leave on a Pride cruise next Sunday, July 26 and I am concerned about what to pack to wear for dinner. This is our first cruise ever and it is me, my husband and our two kids (boy 11, and girl 15). Me and my daughter will be fine since we have sundresses, etc, but my son wears nothing but basketball type shorts and tennis shoes. How lenient are they with what to wear in the dining room or other eating places. What do you wear to dinner? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Missy:)

We leave on a Pride cruise next Sunday, July 26 and I am concerned about what to pack to wear for dinner. This is our first cruise ever and it is me, my husband and our two kids (boy 11, and girl 15). Me and my daughter will be fine since we have sundresses, etc, but my son wears nothing but basketball type shorts and tennis shoes. How lenient are they with what to wear in the dining room or other eating places. What do you wear to dinner? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Missy:)

Talk your son into some cargo type shorts for dinner. Also will need nicer slacks for elegant nights and a nice shirt. (Such as dockers)

Have a teen boy and on this cruise as well. Dress code is pretty simple and online. Most nights son will wear jeans or cargo shorts. We have him wear a collared Polo. Elegant nights he wears slacks and a dress shirt.

Dress code is pretty lax but he may be turned away for gym shorts. I think they are more lenient with kids, but I have seen some kids asked to put cargo/dress shirts. Sneakers should be fine.

Here's the dress code from Carnival's FAQs:

Dining Room Dress Requirements

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and footwear (including flip-flops) must be worn at all times.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts

Women: casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses/tops, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted for both men and women: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cargo shorts and a polo are fine for your son. Buy 1 outfit since he wont wear is again and he can wear it every night except formal night, he will need long pants for that one. Hit up a consignment shop, Marshalls or Target for them. As soon as dinner is over, bring him back to the cabin and have him change and he can wear them multiple times. Sneakers will be fine.

Cargo shorts and a polo are fine for your son. Buy 1 outfit since he wont wear is again and he can wear it every night except formal night, he will need long pants for that one. Hit up a consignment shop, Marshalls or Target for them. As soon as dinner is over, bring him back to the cabin and have him change and he can wear them multiple times. Sneakers will be fine.

It's really simple isn't it?. Kids need to learn there are times when gym shorts are not appropriate in this world. Would he wear shorts to his prom?

My guess if he wears all black shorts nothing will be said. But here is a suggestion, buy one pair of nicer shorts for him and test the waters. The dress code is for men and women as indicated in an earlier post. Keep the tags on the shorts so if you don't use them they can be returned.

Remember: This cruise is suppose to be a relaxing vacation, it is not work like going to Disney. You will have a great time and your kids will love it too.

Edited by JMAE
Forgot some thing

He will be fine with his shorts and sneakers most nights. Like others have said long pants and a nice shirt for elegant night will do.

Carnival has relaxed the dinning room dress code a lot. You will see a majority of people in shorts and tees. The only time I have seen anyone refused to be seated was on elegant night. ( men in shorts)

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Slap a pair of khakis or dark denim jeans and a clean t-shirt on him and he'll be fine. When my son was tiny we used to dress him to the nines for dinner, but now he goes in khaki shorts (or really any color other than denim) and a nicer matching t-shirt. He's 8 and I probably won't deviate from that plan this trip. I see no point in packing a formal suit for my son to wear for 45 minutes of the entire cruise, when he gets zero enjoyment from the exercise of dressing up. I enjoy it, so I wear cocktail dresses and heels basically every night of the cruise. For a younger kid, I think anything is fine, so long as it is clean and tidy and not swim attire. As long as the parents are following the dress code, the child's attire goes mostly unnoticed, unless they are tiny children in suits and dresses that make them supremely adorable - then everyone notices :)

Thanks everyone for the tips about dress code! He has a pair of long khaki pants, so those should be good for elegant night, and I think I will just buy him a long sleeve white button down shirt. I will also get a few pair cargo shorts and few polo shirts. He should be able to wear his "fancy" tennis shoes, lol, and he should be fine. I'm not going to get dress pants, because he will not have a need to wear them again.

I'm parrotting others: The gym shorts are fine on non-elegant nights. On elegant night (there are two of them) he'll need long pants. Maybe you can bribe him into wearing a pair.

No they are not. Clearly you did not read the "Requirements" posted above. Gym shorts are not even fine on casual nights.

The term requirements is new so perhaps there will be more enforcement since it is no longer "suggested."

Thanks everyone for the tips about dress code! He has a pair of long khaki pants, so those should be good for elegant night, and I think I will just buy him a long sleeve white button down shirt. I will also get a few pair cargo shorts and few polo shirts. He should be able to wear his "fancy" tennis shoes, lol, and he should be fine. I'm not going to get dress pants, because he will not have a need to wear them again.

Sounds great! You are good to go!

Have a great cruise!

I'm parrotting others: The gym shorts are fine on non-elegant nights. On elegant night (there are two of them) he'll need long pants. Maybe you can bribe him into wearing a pair.

Um... You're NOT parroting others. No one else said gym shorts are fine.

"Not permitted for both men and women: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

They even have it in BOLD RED LETTERS!