June 24th-July 9th Trip Report

AmR87

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. I would love to help out if I can!

Thank you for the awesome review and photos! We're thinking of this trip for our upcoming 20th anniversary and I love reading reviews from folks who are new to PG. Loved it!

Share the inside joke!

Can't here. Got into trouble with CC last time I joked about it.

Let's just say long running issues with a particular past guest who also likes to pop up now again and disparage the PG.

Share the inside joke!

No joke.

A cruiser says her pants were not returned. It appeared to really be a major loss to her. Maybe her favourite pair. Anyway from what I understood PG paid for them. There was a bit of whining on the subject. To me even if it was lost it was a pair of pants....not a heirloom. However they were obviously important to her and she was scarred by the situation judging from the repeat postings on the subject.

Ditto EVERYTHING CruiseDreamer said.

Motu how was your cruise.

Sad you are not coming to Croatia especially now the Moana is sold.

You HAVE to make it for the next reunion.

Thank you for the awesome review and photos! We're thinking of this trip for our upcoming 20th anniversary and I love reading reviews from folks who are new to PG. Loved it!

I am glad you enjoyed it. You'll have a blast!

Wonderful review! Makes me really look forward to our twentieth anniversary trip in October.

One question: was the dive in Tahiti worth it once you compared the dives on the other islands?

My favorite dive was actually in tahiti.

Some background though- it was my first dive after certification. This could be why it holds a special place in my heart.

It also was the calmest and warmest water, on the clearest day of our trip.

I felt that I saw the most marine life during this dive as well. I believe we saw 4 turtles within 10 minutes alone.

Bora Bora was nice too. The water was insanely choppy (even with a strong current under) and it wasn't as sunny of a day. These dives also had a lot more people, which put me off a little as I felt I had to 'fight' to hold on to the rope going up and down.

I would skip Moorea honestly. I was not impressed by anything there (maybe it was the day/time?), and I am a new diver!

I really appreciated your honest review and I am sure those with special dietary needs especially welcomed your report on the PG's ability to meet your needs.

The Marquesas are not known for their diving. The islands are quite different in geography and there are no reefs. Our daughter who went on many of our PG cruises reports at Tonga and Fiji are great for diving. You might consider those cruises if you are into diving.

I agree with your assessment that being on the PG is better than a land stay. We have done both before and after stays and found them to be expensive and not the value that the PG gives. I always advise to go for the longest time you can afford on the PG rather than popping for pre or post stays. Different strokes for different folks.

We are going on our 9th PG cruise due to the crew and the special environment on the ship. We have cruised other lines but never found the warm welcoming that the PG crew provides to their passengers.

I guess you did not attend any of the guest lectures while on board? They for the most part add so much to the cruise. We enjoy Anthropologist Mark Eddowes lectures and even attend the ones that we have heard before. I didn't realize how much I had soaked up until we were in New Zealand visiting a museum that had a section on Polynesia. I kept thinking I know this and why while viewing their exhibit.

Thanks again for taking the time to report to us!!!!

That's great to know concerning diving! I am all open for places to dive.

I was sad that we didn't make any of the lectures. We were so busy on the land that we were gone every day from the first, to the last tender. I guess you can't do it all. :(

DH fought me for the OWB. I wanted the cruise, he wanted the bungalow, so we compromised and did both. I do think I would do a longer cruise next time with a couple nights again in Tahiti/Moorea beforehand. I'll have to see what he thinks about that ;)

Edited by AmR87

My favorite dive was actually in tahiti.

Some background though- it was my first dive after certification. This could be why it holds a special place in my heart.

It also was the calmest and warmest water, on the clearest day of our trip.

I felt that I saw the most marine life during this dive as well. I believe we saw 4 turtles within 10 minutes alone.

Bora Bora was nice too. The water was insanely choppy (even with a strong current under) and it wasn't as sunny of a day. These dives also had a lot more people, which put me off a little as I felt I had to 'fight' to hold on to the rope going up and down.

I would skip Moorea honestly. I was not impressed by anything there (maybe it was the day/time?), and I am a new diver!

The reef on Moorea is disappointing indeed. I was, however, fortunate enough to see lots of marine life while there. I will never forget rolling over on my back at around 90 feet and watching a turtle as it made its way to the surface. It was the most peaceful and serene moment I have ever experienced underwater. Later that day, I ran into one of the dive team who said the very next dive was spectacular even for Moorea. I'm not sure which one that was.

Bora Bora was a treat. We did the dive just outside the lagoon and then the Manta Ray dive where we saw several and even had one pass directly over us around 5 or 6 feet above us.

AmR what a wonderful review- terrific photos and it looks like you and hubby had a wonderful anniversary trip! Watch out for that anniversary fertility blanket! ;) When I go back one day, I plan to buy a pair for my daughters weddings, I just thought it was such a beautiful thing (I even got teary! I think I was missing them at the time!)

I agree with you about the star gazing, it's easy to forget since we live in the Northern Hemisphere, that the sky is different "down south". I always get out on a dry night whenever I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and look for the southern cross!

I am with you about exploring the world...I keep telling myself I'll go back to FP but then some new destination pops up like a shiny bauble and I'm off in that direction, but ahhh, FP is an amazing place! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

AmR what a wonderful review- terrific photos and it looks like you and hubby had a wonderful anniversary trip! Watch out for that anniversary fertility blanket! ;) When I go back one day, I plan to buy a pair for my daughters weddings, I just thought it was such a beautiful thing (I even got teary! I think I was missing them at the time!)

I agree with you about the star gazing, it's easy to forget since we live in the Northern Hemisphere, that the sky is different "down south". I always get out on a dry night whenever I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and look for the southern cross!

I am with you about exploring the world...I keep telling myself I'll go back to FP but then some new destination pops up like a shiny bauble and I'm off in that direction, but ahhh, FP is an amazing place! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Thank you for the kind words. I took a lot of inspiration from your amazing report!

Great review Ali! I'm planning to do ours but haven't got around to doing it yet...!

Sorry to hear you guys didn't have good weather when you went back to Bora Bora :( we found the snorkeling underneath those OWBs incredible but if the water was choppy then I imagine it wouldn't be so good.

Say hello to Mike from us! :)

A word about the laundry. A past cruiser says she lost her pants so they take great care to note all items.

Honestly? What is the point of this post?

OP - very nice trip report, glad you had such a great time.